SAU Community

Social Wrecking Yard

Pezhead

I was just browsing the for sale section and came up with this idea. See what people think.

We all love our cars, but face it most are a decade or two old. There are places like Skyline Spares and others that have parts but what if we started a community wrecking yard?

Now we all have spare parts lying around that can be sold but we're too lazy to deal with the for sale section (well I do).

Idea: Set up a Google Doc spread sheet that we put our spare parts into - we all share the same doc.

If someone is looking for a part they can go there first to see if there are any locals in NSW that have the parts they need.

If someone buys it they or the seller removes it from the list.

Format:

Car Make/Year/Model

Part Description

Brand (thanks for the suggestion)

Price

Contact Forum Name & Real Name

Contact number/email

Listing Date

What do people think?

Mmm sounds like a good idea, it would make finding specific parts a little easier. A brand column would be useful too.

Only major problem I see is the difficulty in controlling it. If a seller is too lazy to post in the FS section, he/she maybe too lazy to remove item once sold - this could be fixed by putting an expiry on each listing, at which point the seller will need to realist/renew expiry.

Its a good idea, there needs to be a nsw for sale section, it would make it easier, as everytime I find something I want it ends up being in a different state,and the postage costs end up making it not cost effective, and I usually perfer to pickup the bits, to see them first

Agree that upkeep will be problem but if we self patrol then might be ok. Having the listing date is key to that. Also, if someone was looking for a part and contacted someone with a listing that A) wasn't contactable anymore or B) had already sold the part then they (buyer) remove it from the list.

I too like to deal locally and try to inspect/pick up.

I was just thinking cause I have so many stock parts that I'll never use from car.

Sounds good - I've got some stuff I wouldn't mind selling, but would be a NSW-only thing.

A separate FS section inside here might not be bad though too - can then post pictures. If that were the case though, every thread would have to follow the template.

The other thing if not making a seperate fore sale section is to have a header tag on each topic in the FS section mandatory. I mean this as a separate field to the topic, similar to OCAU.

I.e

[sYD] For sale stuff

[NSW] Other stuff for sale

Other ways are having strict for sale templates with threads closed/not approved if not adhered to.

That is an excellent idea, many of the forums where i am a member from previose cars i have owned have this. Makes it alot easier to find parts locally without digging through pages to find that the part is already sold. I also like/ preffer to buy locally. Too many scammers out these days!

+3!!!

oh no i meant a separate subsection, like the Events section. Keeps all the items separate, then - no digging through 40 pages to find what you're after :)

either way, but I would prefer this idea...

really good idea Eric, I like anything that supports the community.

to me the for sale section is a bit structured, and I have a few gtrs worth of parts lying around that I would never go through the trouble of posting up in threads.

the main issue with an open spreadsheet is people f**king with it...but maybe if it was club members only and old versions were kept?

another option would be a really simple database on the club website, importantly with the ability to upload data from spreadsheets.

I could add a few hundred bits that aren't worth much to me, I just keep them because I have the space and may need them one day.

As these cars get older, this sort of community based exchange gets much more important

For those with FS section suggestions, there are already plans afoot to make the for sale forums more structured.

...we started a community wrecking yard?

Hilarious Re: Ambiguity

community-wrecking yard OR community wrecking-yard

In other words, it'd be best not to leak out to ACA that we preside over a "wrecking yard of communities"!

Eric would you like this put on a data base, where after a certain time period an email is sent to an exec email address + the holder of said item for them to confirm item is still valid if not it's removed?

Yep, it would all be viewed through our saunsw.com.au domain.

edit: I'll see what the sau webserver is like with my work internet connections and might get a start on it during lunch tomorrow.