SAU Community

Lowering With Coilovers

Kierin

Hey guys and girls

I just took delivery of some BC coilovers, BR series (6/8) for my S1 Stagea (auto 4wd). I have fitted a S14 rear cradle which shouldn't affect the choice of coilover. When i compared the front coilover to stock setup fitted in car, it appeared that it won't lower much more than an inch or two over standard.

My question for you all is; will Stagea specific coilovers get the ride height lower than legal? I will most likely set it up at 100mm ground clearance but would like the option of going a little lower, should I have purchased suspension to suit a different Nissan model, i.e. R34 GTS-T, R33 GTR?

Sorry for not researching this thoroughly myself, I only have poor mobile service and would like to exchange these coilovers A.S.A.P. if necessary before installing them in the car and accidently marking them and getting stuck with high ride height.

Thanks in advance, Kierin

I have Stagea specific Bilsteins (well actually they are Nismo branded) running at 340mm front and 350mm rear on Tein springs. They are not adjustable on the road but you can alter the ride height by changing the position of the circlip and cut more grooves if you don't get the result you want. Why do you want to go lower than legal? Track only Stagea?

It will be used as track only for a period, then brought up to legal spec down the track. My concern with the current coilovers is that if you wind the lower section with eyelet up as high as it can go it is not much shorter overall than stock shocks fitted in car at standard height.

Kierin

Im running HKS hipermax3 (8/6) coilovers on mine, was originally on r33 gtst coilovers (hm2 7/5), but am now changing to r34 gtr coilovers, as im going to be using the gtr rear subframe (fork type). Rear eyebrow height is 310mm & front was 320mm but these will likely change slightly with the new coilovers! (front has new coilovers (not setup), so cant confirm what the front height was (but from memory), back is still on old coilovers, waiting on new subframe) Either or, its still pretty low compared to Kiwi Bob's & that was after i raised it up lol! hmm might lift the rear to 320mm for convenience?

So if your coilovers are base adjustable & platform adjustable, & you've wound the base all the way up & the platform down to almost the spring free point, & its still not low enough, then you likely need different coilovers!

Oh and gtst coilovers cant quite go as low on the front, as the gtr ones can (different stroke length)!

Hope thats of some help to you?!

Edited by Zorro

Thanks Zorro

Installed front only as low as they could go and it lowered it approximately 45mm, which left me with roughly 130 ground clearance. Spoke to supplier and they will sort it out and get GTR if necessary. Btw Zorro, guard height was approximately 665 at this stage. Will post pics if anyone is keen.

Kierin

my ground to top of rear guard is 610mm! I have a lot of adjustability with these, but it looks like yours hasnt really lowered it at all, maybe an inch?! Also GTR compatible shocks have a fork mount on the rear, not an eye like the s14, gtst & auto stageas! Rear height is the same with either type! Actually i do remember someone have trouble with this before with bc's... (might just be their design?) Yeah post pics & some with the wheel off to show install too, if possible!

Hmm ok bout an inch maybe. Just to be sure, you have the lower leg adjuster wound in as far as possible & the coil platform wound down till the spring is almost loose?

Yeah if thats as low as it can go & you want to go lower, then different brand might be the go, if you cant modify it to go lower? like modify the bottom adjustment length somehow?

Here is a pic of how my rear sits at the moment with the HKS coilovers. Would show you the front but, its not setup at the mo & the motor is out whilst doing the gearbox conversion so front is up a bit! But the rear should give you an idea & i could probs go more than an inch lower in adjustment again, if i wanted, but that is low enough! post-73547-0-33746900-1346852960_thumb.jpg

HKS dont make a coilover for the stagea as such, but im using r33 gtst (auto eye on rear shock), but am changing to R34 GTR (fork type) with the manual conversion & rear subframe! The rear top hats are the only real issue, as they are alot wider than the stagea ones & require modifing the strut towers to fit them or using s14 top hats! But Tein make bolt in coilovers with lots of adjustment!

HKS dont make a coilover for the stagea as such, but im using r33 gtst (auto eye on rear shock), but am changing to R34 GTR (fork type) with the manual conversion & rear subframe! The rear top hats are the only real issue, as they are alot wider than the stagea ones & require modifing the strut towers to fit them or using s14 top hats! But Tein make bolt in coilovers with lots of adjustment!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=509436248

Actually, im now going to sell my near perfect condition HKS Hipermax2 R33 GTST coilovers, comes with a spare set of 9kg springs, so you can run 7/5 or 9/7 which ever floats your boat! $1200ono