SAU Community

Opinions Regarding Garett 2860 -5S On An Rb26

R33-RB26DETT

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not run a EBC for 8 years :)

The RP "modified actuators" work, it'll be interesting to see them as they are and with a controller turned on. Is there any difference? Watch this space ;)

Indeed I did always wonder this. Will be interesting to see the result... It wasn't just the actuator that was modified though ;)

I probably should've hooked up my EVC5 - but meh, it was just another case of more money spend for potentially no gain, like going from stock to Tomei dumps, and the results were certainly inline with everyone else around the place.

what power do you have a the moment and what boost? my guess would be around 320rwkw on E85? still plenty of fun - IMO, if you're not tracking the car much don't go bigger than -9's

I only made 255rwkw at 16psi. Racepace said some part of my exhaust may have been holding me back so when i take it back next time i might get them to drop it off after the front pipes to see if it makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

I will let you guys know that the custom Racepace 3.5" exhaust does not flow as people may think. I have gained 34hp by changing it to a new setup from the cat back. I'm now running a straight 3.5" pipe from the cat to a 3.5" Varex oval muffler. My boost jumped from 25-27psi too, and my response was seen the whole way across the curve right from 150hp - 546hp.

Just thought I would let you guys know.

I'm thinking of putting a set of 2871's on with a set of 272deg 9.7mm drop in cams from camtech, what do you guys think for a circuit car?

I'm getting the turbos very cheaply and thought if I put them on myself, then why not......lol.

You went E85, you should've gone 4" dude.

To pickup a tiny bit of power (and 34hp @ the fly is, tiny) when removing an entire muffler from a full exhaust system, isn't a major surprise. So it's not about the exhaust not flowing, it's about the wrong exhaust on a car for it's given application/setup :)

I'll also bet it's no longer 90-92dB @ 5200rpm, which also wouldn't be a surprise with a single muffler exhaust vs a dual :thumbsup:

Ash, it's surprisingly not to bad at all even when the exhaust is fully open, and when the thing is shut, which is most of the time, it is just like stock standard. No noise at all. I'm a pretty big fan of it really, and with only one muffler I thought it was going to be too loud. Yeah 4" would have been great, but with front pipes, possibly dumps and the cost of 4" exhausts I just alleviated the muffler problem at the moment. 34hp and 2 pounds of boost is small, not considering the Racepace exhaust is suppose to flow. alleviating that restriction might just help me with a few heat issues I'm having at the track too?

I'm trying ot track down an R33 or R34 full radiator shroud to replace the one that was on it, which was only half of one. I've done the radiator to the custom PWR one which RP used at targa, and now completely dealing off the radiator to the front of my car so no air can go around the sides. I'm surprised how many people are running around with inadequate cooling configurations.

Ash, it's surprisingly not to bad at all even when the exhaust is fully open, and when the thing is shut, which is most of the time, it is just like stock standard. No noise at all. I'm a pretty big fan of it really, and with only one muffler I thought it was going to be too loud. Yeah 4" would have been great, but with front pipes, possibly dumps and the cost of 4" exhausts I just alleviated the muffler problem at the moment. 34hp and 2 pounds of boost is small, not considering the Racepace exhaust is suppose to flow. alleviating that restriction might just help me with a few heat issues I'm having at the track too?

I'm trying ot track down an R33 or R34 full radiator shroud to replace the one that was on it, which was only half of one. I've done the radiator to the custom PWR one which RP used at targa, and now completely dealing off the radiator to the front of my car so no air can go around the sides. I'm surprised how many people are running around with inadequate cooling configurations.

Get out the sound meter :D

They do flow, you were probably asking too much of a dual muffler 3.5" system really as you can never have such quiet and not have minor restriction at that size, for your power/flow levels. E85 just needs a bit more of everything - and certainly costly.

Yeah my tri-pass radiator was sensational, 5 laps and tip top water temps but then I wasn't using E85 or as much boost, tyres would be off before the cooling system had an argument.

I'm thinking of putting a set of 2871's on with a set of 272deg 9.7mm drop in cams from camtech, what do you guys think for a circuit car?

I'm getting the turbos very cheaply and thought if I put them on myself, then why not......lol.

No, no and more no.

Have a search. Plently of info about those thing's.

At what rpm do -5s match GT-SS turbos for torque and power? I would be surprised that on a well setup track car you are going to miss the difference in response. Tarmac rally car absolutely...but a circuit awd car... I would be surprised if a -5 car didnt leave the GT-SS car for dead....even on a std displacement RB26

And if you are going to use track times to compare times you cant use Vic times these days at a standard. E85, AO50s with track changes means the ballgame has changed. Teens are still a huge effort at Sandown but a car that did an 18 on 98 and RE55s would be scaring a low 16, maybe high 15 with E85 and AO50s. Its just that none of those 2006-2007 98/RE55 cars are still getting around and now that the E85/AO50 brigade are out there I think its easy to think the gruntier GTSS turbos and response are making for the quicker car.

Hell, when a std RB20 makes a grunt 310rwkws you know its time to move on from all this fascination with response and GT-SS turbos :)

Or maybe I am wrong.:)

On a loaded dyno it's almost the same Bris, which I've always found interesting. But the -5s hold the torque curve on the dyno longer no doubt

Having had both sets of turbos it's clearly different once you actually drive it.

-5s kept hauling ass to 8500rpm on my car with a Racepace head and stock cams no worries

-9s were all over by around 7500rpm with the same motor config

Chris has done a 1:19 with the -7s on he AO50 i believe, which is pretty nuts and he reckons there was more in that... But alas 2.8ltr and -5s now so we will never know.

That said having seen the 2.8/-5 on the weekend, fark me it builds speed fast even @ motorkhana stuff, clearly faster than my 2.6 with -5s outta the hole

Having driven Micks 34 on the weekend as well (stock turbos still), -9s dont fall over as hard as them so a good middle ground.

Loved the rush of the -5s and on a high speed track they would smash the -9s on a strictly track sense.

Although Winton/Wakefield you'd think would favour the smaller ones (unless you are over 400rwkw on super budget type stuff).

On a loaded dyno it's almost the same Bris, which I've always found interesting. But the -5s hold the torque curve on the dyno longer no doubt

Having had both sets of turbos it's clearly different once you actually drive it.

-5s kept hauling ass to 8500rpm on my car with a Racepace head and stock cams no worries

-9s were all over by around 7500rpm with the same motor config

Chris has done a 1:19 with the -7s on he AO50 i believe, which is pretty nuts and he reckons there was more in that... But alas 2.8ltr and -5s now so we will never know.

That said having seen the 2.8/-5 on the weekend, fark me it builds speed fast even @ motorkhana stuff, clearly faster than my 2.6 with -5s outta the hole

Having driven Micks 34 on the weekend as well (stock turbos still), -9s dont fall over as hard as them so a good middle ground.

Loved the rush of the -5s and on a high speed track they would smash the -9s on a strictly track sense.

Although Winton/Wakefield you'd think would favour the smaller ones (unless you are over 400rwkw on super budget type stuff).

Out of curiosity what power figure did you get last time you had it on the dyno? I could swear that it drives differently now with a new tune and new exhaust since the test drive. It could be just me thinking that since it's been a while but I don't know. Like you said the rush is awesome and just keeps pulling and I only had it up to 7000rpm so far. I'm extremely happy the way it is now either way.

Somewhere around 365rwkw from memory/19psi, was a long time ago now (12 months easily), and the exhaust i put on ($100 special) was a tad restrictive, knew that before i put it on there. You're also running very different tyre setup too.

Just bury the foot and hit 8200 already or I'll come do it for ya lol :P

Somewhere around 365rwkw from memory/19psi, was a long time ago now (12 months easily), and the exhaust i put on ($100 special) was a tad restrictive, knew that before i put it on there. You're also running very different tyre setup too.

Just bury the foot and hit 8200 already or I'll come do it for ya lol :P

Yeah I got 350 on 19psi with new exhaust, Chris mentioned its got better flow now than with other exhaust but nothing major and a good power curve. Yeah you're right about the tires too, slipped my mind.

Haha yeah I will, can't wait now. I'm used to smaller turbos knowing they'll run out of puff by 7000 lol.