SAU Community

Weird Noise

i had a similar noise. i could only hear it at low speeds next to a wall.

i jacked the car up and spun the wheels around by hand one by one to find which wheel it was.. was passanger front.. it ended up being the brake backing plate ever so slightly touching the rotor. pulled it back a touch and was sorted.

Took it to a mechanic today - he said it was definately the pads as you can see marks on the actual rotors now which means the pads are really worn.

Getting new pads put in tomorrow along with brake fluid change and rotor machining..

Just one question - if the rotor thickness is deemed to be too low to be able to get them machined - would it be ok to run the pads on the rotors as they are now and then when I get new rotors change them over? Or is it critical that rotors are not changed without changing pads?

Just one question - if the rotor thickness is deemed to be too low to be able to get them machined - would it be ok to run the pads on the rotors as they are now and then when I get new rotors change them over? Or is it critical that rotors are not changed without changing pads?

You can do that, however the pad will take whatever shape is on the rotor face the first time you drive it. That means if your rotors are really chewed up, then you will affect your pads and they will take on that shape. Its better to do it all at once, however, its not critical.

Tell him to put back every shim that he takes out of them- you don't want squeal.

ohh, and pics of pads when they come out.