SAU Community

Transporting Car From Victoria To Queensland

Lwood

I have purchased a car in Victoria and am looking to drive it up to Queensland. The only problem with this is that the car is unregistered however, it will have a RWC. I have been given a few options of ways to bring this car back.

1. Get a Unregistered car permit, allowing me to drive back with an unregistered, yet roadworthy car.

2. Pay the seller to register the car again and get the registration swapped into my name, transport/drive the car to QLD. Do a RWC in QLD (non-qld RWCs are not accepted)

- Register the car and pay the usual fees (rego, stamp duty, plates...).

- Hand in the VIC plates to Queensland Transport. They'll issue a receipt. Fill out a refund form (downloadable from the vicroads website), attach the receipt, and send it to vicroads.

- Wait 4 weeks for the cheque.

3. Shipping the car back (expensive).

4 I have heard of someone, somehow registering the car in Queensland, taking down the Queensland plates, putting them on the car then driving it back.

If anyone has done this or has any ideas of what the best course of action is let me know.

I would still go shipping for 1600. Add up fuel, permit fees, accommodation, chance of breakdowns or accident on way. Althouh it is a great drive and who doesnt love a road trip. But financially wise, yeh i would ship it

Can you purchase CTP for six months as per normal (and carries over after registration)and still drive with a unregistered vehicle permit? I am looking at doing the some thing in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

So spoke to vic roads and all you need is an unregistred vehicle permit from them , cost about 43 bucks initially and a dollar or so for each day after that, this also apparently covers ctp. the car needs to be in good enough condition to drive on the road but no rwc is required. the only hassle i can see is that it looks like you can't drive at night on the permit

So spoke to vic roads and all you need is an unregistred vehicle permit from them , cost about 43 bucks initially and a dollar or so for each day after that, this also apparently covers ctp. the car needs to be in good enough condition to drive on the road but no rwc is required. the only hassle i can see is that it looks like you can't drive at night on the permit

Hey mate, you pretty much have it spot on. Victoria luckily seems to be the cheapest state to get one of the permits from, the condition of the car has to be 'safe'. Also I organised the permit so I can drive at night. I just explained that I will most likely be driving past the times stated in the permit, as I have certain stops to make. The lady was actually very helpful. The permit was emailed through to me and I was told to put the permit on the left side of the windscreen.

If you have any questions Andrew send me a PM.

I don't envy you, that is one boring drive lol.... Did Cairns to Central Coast solo with a car trailer etc and don't wanna do it again! Good luck tho and keep an eye on all the speed cameras ;)

I don't envy you, that is one boring drive lol.... Did Cairns to Central Coast solo with a car trailer etc and don't wanna do it again! Good luck tho and keep an eye on all the speed cameras ;)

i did sydney to hervey bay in feb, i rented a hilux and a trailer and put the 32 on and set off.... so boring so make sure u got some good tunes and shit to keep you going.

I recently had to do this. Drove an unregistered car from Sydney to Brisbane. Had to get a blue slip in NSW ($57), take it to the RTA and get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit ($23ish), drive to Brisbane ($150 petrol + smokes + Red Bull), get CTP (I accidently negated this step as the info I was provided with was incorrect), drive to get safety certificate ($90), go to TMR and register vehicle ($400ish for 6 months incl CTP).

Hope that gives you a better idea. :)

I've just been looking into this myself

I'm coming back up to the GC after another year of uni and had a wicked brainwave

I thought yeah, i'll get the car transported up and fly so i don't have to put up with the BS long drive

well, CEVA are really cheap at the moment but won't let you have anything in the car which is a deal breaker for me so i'll be driving up (car is fully rego'd tho so no issues there)

anyway, enjoy my spreadsheet

all most prices there are depot to depot (melb to bris)

with CEVA being only $500 when i checked the other day

Car Freight Quotes.xlsx

I drove from Sydney to Mackay (roughly 2000km) in 2 days in a shitty old VR commodore 2 years ago. I didn't have a licence at the time as it was suspended BUT i had NO IDEA as i moved residency and didn't get any letters saying that i had no licence. Car was in a very bad shape too, can't beleive i made it without a licence in a shitbox old car.

But back on topic, that's some useful info for anyone else that decides to purchase a car interstate.

I've just been looking into this myself

I'm coming back up to the GC after another year of uni and had a wicked brainwave

I thought yeah, i'll get the car transported up and fly so i don't have to put up with the BS long drive

well, CEVA are really cheap at the moment but won't let you have anything in the car which is a deal breaker for me so i'll be driving up (car is fully rego'd tho so no issues there)

anyway, enjoy my spreadsheet

all most prices there are depot to depot (melb to bris)

with CEVA being only $500 when i checked the other day

cost me 1400ish to get a vr calais to sydney from harvey bay thru ceva,last 18 months ago i filled that fkkker up and drove it on the truck and flew to sydney then picked car up and went and emptied all the parts i had in it then delivered the car. 500 sounds awesome.

Drove mine from Melbourne to Townsville. Still had VIC plates and rego on it. Got a RWC in QLD and registered in 2 weeks.

Only damage I got was scrapped side skirts and front bar cos it was low. But my painter fixed it real easy. Make sure u have a mate with you. Driving by yourself is boring as hell and bit risky. :thumbsup:

Drove mine from Melbourne to Townsville. Still had VIC plates and rego on it. Got a RWC in QLD and registered in 2 weeks.

Only damage I got was scrapped side skirts and front bar cos it was low. But my painter fixed it real easy. Make sure u have a mate with you. Driving by yourself is boring as hell and bit risky. :thumbsup:

For long drives, best thing is to have someone with you. Mine's a sedan so we had my brother, a mate, and myself. One would snooze in the back whilst one drove and the other chatted sh!t. Good fun and was a simple matter of everyone swapping spots every 2-3 hours.

Well I'm flying down today to pick up my car from Melbourne and drive it all the way up to Queensland with a unregistered vehicle permit. I will let everyone know how I go or if I come across anything.

Okay, made it home around 2:30am this morning. Surprisingly did not get pulled over once, even though we traveled through 3 states with no plates. Funnily, the person who showed the most interest in the car was a fuel station attendant, asking if we were going to do a 'runner'.