SAU Community

Holesaw To Cut Through Chasis

CLNSKY

Hey guys,

Looking to install my front mount this week and looking for some advice what holesaw bit to get.

I will need a 3inch one but don't have much knowledge on brand / what they are made of to get through the chasis.

If anyone is in the hills area and has all the tools and wants to lend a hand Send me a PM and we can work out an arrangement!

Thanks!

Colin

Thanks for the info guys, will try bunnings soon.

Do i need cutting compound / lubricant?

I have an electric drill with the handle, is the correct process to just back on and off the throttle to make it spin instead of doing it quickly?

Thanks guys!

Colin

I'm no expert with this type of thing, but my only advice will be measure 3 times and cut once :)

While you are there grab some touch up paint and also some rubber stripping to finish the job off nicely :yes:

^ spot on man! yea I purchased a 3 inch holesaw from bunnings a couple years ago now and it set me back around $80 from memory so yea not cheap. and it is possible to do it with a cordless(not a riobi or ozito). I used my 18v li ion milwaukee and did the job just fine. If you were in brisbane I'd offer to give u a hand.

Im sorry, but I have to ask, WHY are you going through the middle of the chassis?

I can understand cutting a touch off the ends of the rails, but it you're inside the radiator support, don't go through the chassis rail!

Inner guard is completely different to the chassis rail. I think the OP should confirm where he intends to cut.

I also advise once cut to put some extra metal bracing like VSI06 advises.

I have a 33 GTSt that had that same hole cut in it, previously owner had a minor bingle, inner guard crumpled WAYYY more then it should have if the hole hadn't been cut.

CRC or WD40 sprayed on by a mate is a good coolant/lubricant too and a bit less messy than normal oil. Will just end up using more of it, is all.

Also, don't drill a pilot hole. Just centrepunch it properly. The drill in the centre of the hole saw is small enough to pilot properly and will stay in position better if you don't pre-drill.