SAU Community

[Syd] Where To Buy Extractors For R33?

Im looking to do a tune on my car with SAFC II but i thought it would be a definite waste without a full exhaust system. Anyone know where in Sydney i can pick some up, all i can find is ebay ones for $600 im looking to spend a bit less then that. If anyone knows a place, let me know. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Dont bother man, extractors and exhaust on N/a's (especially n/a skylines) dont really do anything. If anything it loses performance, you dont want that. I actually raced one of my cousins n/a r34 who has a full custom exhaust system, absolutly chopped him when i hit 2nd gear, car just pulls away like he aint even throttling, and i drive a freakin auto. Reason being is all the top end power just disappears man, exhaust systems reduce back pressure. no back pressure = no torque. N/as rely on backpressure while Turbo'd cars create backpressure from the turbo itself, therefore to reduce turbo lag and increase efficiency, extractor and exhaust is necessary. In other words, exhaust and extractors was primarily intended for turbos =p

Sorry what i said was slightly wrong, if you plan on remapping your ecu after instaling an exhuast system and extractors, it will indeed improve performance throughout the rev range since the factory settings are tuned for the factory exhaust, hence why it relys on the backpressure created from factory.

Dont bother man, extractors and exhaust on N/a's (especially n/a skylines) dont really do anything. If anything it loses performance, you dont want that. I actually raced one of my cousins n/a r34 who has a full custom exhaust system, absolutly chopped him when i hit 2nd gear, car just pulls away like he aint even throttling, and i drive a freakin auto. Reason being is all the top end power just disappears man, exhaust systems reduce back pressure. no back pressure = no torque. N/as rely on backpressure while Turbo'd cars create backpressure from the turbo itself, therefore to reduce turbo lag and increase efficiency, extractor and exhaust is necessary. In other words, exhaust and extractors was primarily intended for turbos =p

No, No and No.

First off, you "chopping" your cousins R34 is probably because he cannot drive for shit.

Secondly, BACKPRESSURE IS BAD, all this talk of losing power and torque is absolute rubbish. I run TWIN 2.5" exhausts with Highflow cats on my NA 300ZX and you know what? My car is currently one of the fastest NA 300ZX's in the country. The OP of this thread is a mate of mine and guess what, car gained a lot of power going to a 2.5" exhaust and is a lot quicker than it was.

Backpressure is even WORSE in turbo cars, you know what happens when the exhaust can't flow like it should? car loses power. Go take a high powered car with a varex exhaust on it for a drive, with the valves closed it will lag, lose power and be generally crap to drive in comparison to when the valves are open. Don't believe me? Go try it for yourself.

Edited by Super Drager

No, No and No.

First off, you "chopping" your cousins R34 is probably because he cannot drive for shit.

Secondly, BACKPRESSURE IS BAD, all this talk of losing power and torque is absolute rubbish. I run TWIN 2.5" exhausts with Highflow cats on my NA 300ZX and you know what? My car is currently one of the fastest NA 300ZX's in the country. The OP of this thread is a mate of mine and guess what, car gained a lot of power going to a 2.5" exhaust and is a lot quicker than it was.

Backpressure is even WORSE in turbo cars, you know what happens when the exhaust can't flow like it should? car loses power. Go take a high powered car with a varex exhaust on it for a drive, with the valves closed it will lag, lose power and be generally crap to drive in comparison to when the valves are open. Don't believe me? Go try it for yourself.

Haha i already said back pressure is bad in turbo'd cars hence why aftermarket exhausts were more ideal, i never said turbod cars needed back pressure lol. Also if you saw my next post you would notice i retracted my statement and agreed that exhaust systems actually do make a difference on n/a cars. Also my cousin is a pretty good driver, it has great take off but there literally is no top end power, the car struggles probably due to the fact that his ecu wasnt utilizing the full extent of his new exhaust. Hence why i suggested getting an ecu remap after the system was put in. I was speaking on behalf of experience.

No, No and No.

" to reduce turbo lag and increase efficiency, extractor and exhaust is necessary"

You basically repeated what i said using different words in regards to turbo'd motors. You need to calm down man, honest mistake jeeze.

Back pressure is bad in any car. End of story. If you disagree, go do some research on airflow.

As for extractors, some cars don't benefit much from extractors because either the stock headers are designed well, or the headers aren't the cause of restriction. Take the 3.5l v6 in the late model magnas. Putting extractors on them won't gain much top end power at all. You will gain a bit in the midrange though. The reason there isn't much of a high end gain is that the cam is the restriction. On the other hand, take the sr20 in the SSS pulsar. a set if extractors on one of those makes a large difference. Standard the start to choke badly at about 5500. Put on a set if extractors and they will happily rev out for 1000rpm more before they start to choke a bit. You will get a noticeable power gain too (over 10hp). And they still have plenty of pull throughout the rev range.

Back pressure is bad in any car. End of story. If you disagree, go do some research on airflow.

As for extractors, some cars don't benefit much from extractors because either the stock headers are designed well, or the headers aren't the cause of restriction. Take the 3.5l v6 in the late model magnas. Putting extractors on them won't gain much top end power at all. You will gain a bit in the midrange though. The reason there isn't much of a high end gain is that the cam is the restriction. On the other hand, take the sr20 in the SSS pulsar. a set if extractors on one of those makes a large difference. Standard the start to choke badly at about 5500. Put on a set if extractors and they will happily rev out for 1000rpm more before they start to choke a bit. You will get a noticeable power gain too (over 10hp). And they still have plenty of pull throughout the rev range.

Yep i agree with you. Up until this morning i thought back pressure was a necessity in non turbo cars, turns out its actually velocity, since its velocity which helps the exhaust gases escape quicker(and some other dynamics of exhaust flow).