SAU Community

R33 High Mount Turbo Setup.

Shmee33

Hello

i have an r33 gtst and i plan on going high mount turbo setup,

a few questions i wanna ask before going threw with this.

Is there a way without using a forward facing plenum?

Will the power steering ressy will need to be relocated/were?

Also what other upgrades will need to be done to support mt gt35/40 and 38mm wastegate?

the main reason im doing this is about 1 year ago i bought the upgrades

not knowing the cost of labour and so for a project i wanna put it all in.

Just looking at it i will cut abit of the piping out on the intercoooler and spark plugs/coilpacks will be easy to replace.

I see there are threads on forward facing plenum installs which is good, also to the people who have done it have they used the chinese manifolds and are they any good?

Thanks Alex

I just wanted to ask this question before starting, ill be posting pics if anyone is interested.

The best thing to do would be to read some threads.

You will probably sit there for weeks reading discussions about how people did their setup and lots of random crap but by the end of it you will have a really solid understanding of what you need and whats going on.

Half the questions you have are fairly common knowledge and arent of concern during the build. Im not being a prick when I say this, but do yourself the favour and read read read. You will NOT regret it in the long run.

Definitely agree with all of the above. All of the information you need is in these forums and you really need to find it, read it, and understand why it is the way it is.

That will be the only way to make the right decisions which will give you the best outcomes for your particular goals.

If you just ask people for the answers you will be putting together a sub optimal package.

Oh okay, all advice is good and very appreicieted.

I will be doing the basic upgrades this week.

Intercooler, walbro fuel pump, exhaust, coil packs and spark.

If I just start off with a boost controller on that is 12psi too much for stock turbo and injectors?

Every R33 is different, some will start to go backwards after 10psi some will go to 14.

You will feel as you increase the boost a pound at a time that it will either gain power or lose lots of power.

12psi is a safe maximum if you dont want the turbo to die too quickly, but use the method i mentioned above to see if you can even get to 12... My R33 went backwards in power above 10psi, so I left it at 9.

As stated by the others, unless you do the reading yourself you wont have a real understanding of whats happening because we will be just telling you yeah do this and yeah do that.. If you read it yourself through all the threads we already have you will form your own understanding of how to do it and what works. That way you can build the car once with no hiccups.

Oh okay, all advice is good and very appreicieted.

I will be doing the basic upgrades this week.

Intercooler, walbro fuel pump, exhaust, coil packs and spark.

If I just start off with a boost controller on that is 12psi too much for stock turbo and injectors?

Don't do coil packs unless your having issues. Standard ones are fine. Save your money. Also don't bother with iridiums. Bcpr6es

If you're keen to retain the standard plenum, then this is an option.

This is a photo of my setup - High mount Kinugawa t67 turbo with a return flow intercooler + supporting mods. I had to relocate the afm into the intercooler piping though.

post-88785-0-90569800-1349954617_thumb.jpeg

Okay,

Today I got my exhaust fitted up, new spark, new coil packs, upgraded the fuel pump to the walbro gss342 or whatever it's called.

Tomorrow I'll get the intercooler done and put the boost controller in and see what I can get out of it.

That pic help a lot mate thanks. I've been looking at the high mount setups and a lot of people have done individually different.

Is there a way without using a forward facing plenum?

Yes, plenty have done it. Just loop the piping around...

Will the power steering ressy will need to be relocated/were?

Yes sometimes, just moved slightly. Nothing major

Also what other upgrades will need to be done to support mt gt35/40 and 38mm wastegate?

A GT35 will push 400rwkw - so you'll need around $20,000

You need to factor in a motor rebuilda at some point - $8000

Clutch - 1400

Diff - 1500

Injectors - 900

ECU - 900-2500 (AFM or not $400)

Coilpacks - 600

Cooler & piping - 800

Manifold / turbo / dump / gate - $4000-$4500

Decent Fuel setup (no, your walbro does not count) - $800

Then throw in the labour to do it all - $3000

That's actually over 20k already not counting any other issues/failures and regular servicing & maintenance.

So remove whatever cost from that you've already purchased, and you have a reasonably idea of where you are at

also to the people who have done it have they used the chinese manifolds and are they any good?

Don't even bother. You don't put a $2000 turbo onto a car, that makes 400rwkw - to put a $400 manifold on there.

Okay, I don't want the 400kw, so what turbo would be good for 240kw to 280kw that's responsive?

Thanks for the input too :)

Heaps of options for that, high flow, Kando, hyper gear, Garrett 3071 or 3076 etc etc..... Have a look in the RB25 dyno results thread and ull see the main players over and over and you can pick the one to suit you :)

Okay, I don't want the 400kw, so what turbo would be good for 240kw to 280kw that's responsive?

The hardware required for 240-280 compared to 400 is huge. Check dyno sheets as suggested.

Personally I would go hypergear ss1pu for that level.

Well you are in luck, 240-280rwkw is well covered on this forum.

Please use the search function, read the dyno threads etc etc.

Thanks.