SAU Community

R33 - GTR versus Modded GTS-t - which is better ?

Ha ha - This thread might get interesting. It may have been done before , but there might be a few more real world experiences around now.

Take one 1995 R33 GTR - $45K

Take one 1995 R33 GTS-t $19K and then spend $26 in mods on it.

I know it is dependant on what actual mods were done, but lets say for this example we had 3 x GTS-ts (depending on your flavour of driving/racing)

First GTS-t - $26K Set up for Drag

Second GTS-T - $26K Set up for Track work

Third GTS-T - $26K set up for Drift

Where would you spend your $45K and why ?

For me, buying a standard GTS-t would be more fun because:

1) I get to play with the car by modding it

2) I get the car I want

3) I think it would be a better overall package for the same $$

The only downside is that it is not a "GTR" per se -

Anyway, let the debate begin.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*Jay sits back with a beer, prepared for the onslaught*

:)

My money would be on a GTS-t with $16k of mods. You can build it the way you want...

But if I was to go for a street only car, probably go for the GTR simply cause of the 4WD and the fact you may have less hassles with defects if it's a stock GTR.

J

GTR.... lots of reasons, its a GTR, its got 4wd, rb26 etc... better/stronger car all around?

also its going to hold its value alot more than a gtst that has been modded when did you last see a gtst going for 45k? :)

Maybe we remove the street car factor - Cause if you want to compare street cars, both are great and depends how much $$ you have and what you like driving on the street.

If you talk about depreciation then we all know a modded care will be worth less than the stock car plus the $$ in mods spent - so lets not go there.

So lets assume you are building the car to drive it in your flavour of racing/motorsport and that you are going to keep the car for a while cause you love it ! :)

I think GTR are overpriced...

GTR.... lots of reasons, its a GTR, its got 4wd, rb26 etc... better/stronger car all around?

Plenty of parts on a GTR fail.. 2WD while lacking some handling characteristics is much simpler system and easier to get right.

If you had unlimited money.. and had a sponsored car, guess the GTR. If you were on more of a personal budget, probably the GTS-T. I don't see one aspect of the GTS-T that can't be done up as big and bad as a GTR with money to spend - just less of it to start with.

Interesting, I would get the GTR still. Even though if you spend the $ on a GTST it will probably be better at whatever purpose you intended it for, would be fun to do the mods, and lets face don't look that much different. But if you really sit down and look at a GTR closely I really doubt you could turn a GTST into a GTR equivilent for the same $s. All the extra ducting, body stiffening etc etc, they really are two completly different cars and it quickly becomes obvious which purpose each was intended for. The GTR is a much better base for modding, ie responds very well to little mods, and since the reality for most people who mod cars is it never ends my choice would be a GTR. And now that I own both there really isn't a comparison, GTR is the one for me.

I think you will find that most people who will reply with a yes to the modded GTS-t will have never owned a GTR before and would have a very one sided view on the issue. And saying "I've driven a GTR before" doesn't cut it. You need to own one and drive it PROPERLY. Not just putt around on the street in someone else's GTR.

I also think that you will find that just about everyone who has owned a GTR and a GTS-t will pick the GTR without more than a passing thought.

Simply put, the stock GTR is a much better car to drive, even compared to a GTS-t with $26k worth of mods thrown on it. Then throw $5000 worth of mods on the GTR, and there's absolutely no comparison.

here here hahaha, Its like the question of the chicken or the egg :)

For me I like a challenge and like to be different so for my chosen motorsport (drag) a GTST was the logical choice, for sure its not as easy to get the GTST into the 11's or 10's but the fun is in getting there, it sort of makes your car special if its running times that not many others cars are in the same model

It always amuses me when I read posts like all you need is a zorst, 16psi etc and you've got easy 11's or 12's out of a GTR but where's the fun in that your the same as every other GTR ... why not be different hence my choice being GTST

If I can also add, i think INASNT's car "GST-T" makes around 320kw at the rears, perhaps ask him how much he's spent, his animal will tear most GTR's (except mine :)) apart...

May be a good idea to check out this thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=40896 It makes for a good read & real world comparison about the dollars spent on a car. You'll soon realise that some peole have spent some big dollars on mods etc, in some case's at least 100-200% of what they paid for the car.

For me I like a challenge and like to be different so for my chosen motorsport (drag) a GTST was the logical choice, for sure its not as easy to get the GTST into the 11's or 10's but the fun is in getting there, it sort of makes your car special if its running times that not many others cars are in the same model

BU5TER,

If wanted a challenge why didn't you buy a LADA as I think if you offered jamezilla the right $$ he would consider selling, and try to get that into the 11's?? Now I think that would be a challenge.

Personally, no offence intended, but I think, like most people, you have a budget and a need eg: turbo sports coupe with potential for more Hp, and driveable day to day.

Simply put, the stock GTR is a much better car to drive, even compared to a GTS-t with $26k worth of mods thrown on it.

hmm.. $16k might be able to you an RB30DETT conversion, probably different suspension. You'd be just lacking the 4WD, but it would go a lot faster.

But yeah, true most haven't even driven a GTR so who are we to talk :)

If I can also add, i think INASNT's car "GST-T" makes around 320kw at the rears, perhaps ask him how much he's spent, his animal will tear most GTR's (except mine :)) apart...

Mine either, hey bu5ter just wanna say that i know a lot of gtr's that have exhausts and running more then 16psi and run high 12's if they are lucky.

its not as easy as it looks. as you would know

BU5TER,

If wanted a challenge why didn't you buy a LADA as I think if you offered jamezilla the right $$ he would consider selling, and try to get that into the 11's?? Now I think that would be a challenge.

Personally, no offence intended, but I think, like most people, you have a budget and a need eg: turbo sports coupe with potential for more Hp, and driveable day to day.

meshmesh sorry but you are wrong, I'm married with 3 kids we have a family wagon for our everyday car and I have a ute for work as I am a Builder

My car gets driven every second weekend if I go for a cruise and to and from the drag strip it is just a weekend toy, not day to day transport, for sure the GTST with mods seemed a better buy imo then a stockish GTR but since then I have enjoyed the challenge of running the times I do and being quicker then a lot of the GTR's I see at the drags and the satisfaction I get from this has nothing to do with money or budget

I have since decided to set the car up as more of a drag car then street car and the new modifications are costing me between $15-20k so in no way does budget now come into the reason why I chose the GTST to play with

Please note though with your smartarse comment about the Lada if you make this thread personal towards me I will I have it closed and you warned if not banned as I was nothing but fair and gave my honest thoughts in my first post making sure it wasn't personal at yourself or LaL

i think he was just trying to make a point buster... a valid one at that... getting a LADA in the 11's would probably be more of a challenge than a gtst etc... Since thats what you said you enjoy, wouldn't it make it more enjoyable?