SAU Community

For a mild rwd engine they will be fine. They don't have a massive torque threshold like others but that's mainly due to the compact size.

As a guide the nz touring cars have around 450hp and 600-700nm from memory.

The boxes are very reliable behind those engines.

The Dubai guys do break them with the sequential shifters but watch some YouTube in car footage and you'll quickly see why they break them. It's no wonder Mal rose wiped the floor clean when he did a round over there.....

They use the renegade shifters and no ignition cut. They have to lift on gear changes which alot of the time doesn't happen fast enough or long enough. Resulting in broken selectors, engagement rings and the odd gearset

I'm sure 8k is retail for a ppg box if you were sponsored you wouldn't pay that

why not just get a Japanese gear set second hand off yahoo

only be like 2k if that and you wont have to swap lots of junk

I haven't done the conversion from scratch but I've fixed a car that had a bodgy job done of the conversion.

We had to trial a couple of diff ratios to get a decent spread.

Works okay now the clutch and flywheel issues are sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok got it all in and up and running... was a bit of a headache but well worth it.

parts needed

3/4 bore master

quarter master hydraulic release bearing with custom made bearing extension to sit the bearing closer to the clutch

bellhousing

gearbox

custom tailshaft (i modified the front section of the stock s14 shaft, length is almost the same) yoke is Turbo 400 32 spline output shaft.. its huge!

custom gearbox crossmember

clutch (i used NPC rb clutch but with the spline changed to Chev 26 spline input shaft)

custom spigot bearing ( machined one up to suit the auto spigot area in the crank and protrudes out

Good stuff.

Not exactly a bolt in option compared to a gear set swap so would the difference in outlay be worth going through the process you just did VS buying a upgraded gear set?