SAU Community

Question On Durability Of Rota Wheels

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dude i would like to see the scales for both machines ofcoarse cast is weaker. As engineers when you put a testing force on something you need to properly replicate, what sort of side impact would you get from that motion. Cast is very good at compressive forces better than what forged steel is good at tensile forces. but the main point of this discussion is to show people that thes wheels are not that bad for a dialy driver or maybe light track work. By no means was this thread started to create conflict as this is not the point of SAU.

im contemplting closing this thread not because im backing down but its just a time bomb. I would still like to maintain the SAU mateship who knows one day ill meet you maybe on the track or wherever and prolly smoke you out with my copy wheels and still be able to shake your hand after that. not spitting due to past experiences.

you didnt say 2nd hand genuine you said cheap crappy wheels. the prices for new product will never be the same as a used if its the same item, in a few cases where that could happen is with collectors wheels but i cant see why that would happen with something still in production.

"which is only there because there are people willing to buy there stuff, if no one bought them, it wouldn't exist, and the genuine market wouldn't be strangled" im afraid your one of them even though you dont want to accept it like I do. if no cheap "$20 crappy wheels" existed Rays and all them reputable wheels companys would make a lot more

what the hell are you on about?

A: it doesn't need to be the same price, if 2nd hand wheels cost 1/16th of the price of new wheels, no one would buy new wheels, if they are 4/6th of the price, a lot of people would rather buy new.

B: cheap wheels will always exist, there is nothing ethically wrong with cheap wheels, they are just shit quality. it is ethically wrong when the cheap wheel is deliberately replicating a more expensive wheel in order to steal the market that the genuine brand has built up over years of selling a quality product, building reputation, marketing (often through sponsoring and supporting racers etc), R&D, trial and error, all which costs huge $$ and is what powers innovation.

and for the record, the wheels i buy in Japan will get melted down if i don't buy them, my broker literally gets the same in scrap alloy as he sells them to me for, so he scraps what i or he doesn't use.

im contemplting closing this thread not because im backing down but its just a time bomb.

not a ticking bomb, but it definitely has backfired. there are more true facts and educated opinions against ROTA's in here than for them, so a thread that was meant to support ROTA's is now just another thread in the long line of them which just shows how shit they are.

Dude you don't even make practical sense have you calculated and noticed 4/6 of 4000 or whatever. If you argue with a fool you will not win he will beat you because he is more experienced.

Dude you don't even make practical sense have you calculated and noticed 4/6 of 4000 or whatever. If you argue with a fool you will not win he will beat you because he is more experienced.

really? you're now debating the practicality of my 100% hypothetical example as the basis of your argument?

WOW

what the hell are you on about?

A: it doesn't need to be the same price, if 2nd hand wheels cost 1/16th of the price of new wheels, no one would buy new wheels, if they are 4/6th of the price, a lot of people would rather buy new.

B: cheap wheels will always exist, there is nothing ethically wrong with cheap wheels, they are just shit quality. it is ethically wrong when the cheap wheel is deliberately replicating a more expensive wheel in order to steal the market that the genuine brand has built up over years of selling a quality product, building reputation, marketing (often through sponsoring and supporting racers etc), R&D, trial and error, all which costs huge $$ and is what powers innovation.

and for the record, the wheels i buy in Japan will get melted down if i don't buy them, my broker literally gets the same in scrap alloy as he sells them to me for, so he scraps what i or he doesn't use.

While I agree with what you say, end of the day rota's or cheap 'new' wheels will always have a market regardless if they copy a design or have there own, alot of people don't want to pay over 2k for a set of wheels that only sees street, I dont see the problem with this at all and I dont know why anyone would, guys who have the money and who want the best will still buy 4k advans, there will always be a market for good wheels.

As I mentioned earlier I've have cheap wheels before, and never had an issue. Even the enkei rpf1 (which I'll prob end up buying) are only a cast wheel and I know for a fact that they can shatter like rota's, richos 33 when he stacked at sandown looked like a rota fail pic, the whole outer edge of the rim peeled of.

I think you need to relax with this anti cheap wheel stuff, not having a go but its like your brainwashed into thinking that only jdm stuff is good and everything else is evil, its not that black and white unfortunently.

Edited by eightsixboy

While I agree with what you say, end of the day rota's or cheap 'new' wheels will always have a market regardless if they copy a design or have there own, alot of people don't want to pay over 2k for a set of wheels that only sees street, I dont see the problem with this at all and I dont know why anyone would, guys who have the money and who want the best will still buy 4k advans, there will always be a market for good wheels.

As I mentioned earlier I've have cheap wheels before, and never had an issue. Even the enkei rpf1 (which I'll prob end up buying) are only a cast wheel and I know for a fact that they can shatter like rota's, richos 33 when he stacked at sandown looked like a rota fail pic, the whole outer edge of the rim peeled of.

I think you need to relax with this anti cheap wheel stuff, not having a go but its like your brainwashed into thinking that only jdm stuff is good and everything else is evil, its not that black and white unfortunently.

As everyone who supports genuine wheels have mentioned earlier, expensive doesnt mean they dont break, who are you kidding? Have seen COUNTLESS TE37s crack, but u are still dodging the fact they are ethically wrong by copying the success of other companies

too many torques...?

Not much info except it was on a honda civic doing track work

must have clocked something proper, as it's totally out of round/centre as well... that would have vibrated like a mofo after the damage (if it ran at all, and didn't foul bodywork)

Depends on your definition of cheap wheels, would you call rpf1's cheap crap? Or Varrstoens? You can't really compare forged wheels to cast and expensive to cheap, they both have a market.

With Rota copying big brands why does it matter, big budget track cars or guys with plenty of cash will still buy the expensive stuff, its not like know one is buying them know because they can get rota's or whatever, rota have really just taken the market away from buying second hand jap wheels, not new.

As everyone who supports genuine wheels have mentioned earlier, expensive doesnt mean they dont break, who are you kidding? Have seen COUNTLESS TE37s crack, but u are still dodging the fact they are ethically wrong by copying the success of other companies

Thats why alot of guys wont buy new te37's, why spend so much when you can get a knock off for an 8th of the price. I'm not for or against cheap/expensive wheels but I think regardless of what guys on here say or what they buy there will always be companies copying big brands, end of the day you buy what you can afford, and with me that would be 2nd hand te37's :action-smiley-069:

Depends on your definition of cheap wheels, would you call rpf1's cheap crap? Or Varrstoens? You can't really compare forged wheels to cast and expensive to cheap, they both have a market.

With Rota copying big brands why does it matter, big budget track cars or guys with plenty of cash will still buy the expensive stuff, its not like know one is buying them know because they can get rota's or whatever, rota have really just taken the market away from buying second hand jap wheels, not new.

i don't use enkei's as although their casting process is reasonable, they generally preference lightweight over strength a little more than i'd like, so although they are reasonably strong for their weight, they still aren't strong. Good for a lot of cars which are primarily concerned with unsprung weight and are happy to write off wheels as they bend them, but for me i need to know mine will take a bump and at worst i'll just have to take to them with a sledgie.