SAU Community

New To The Scene - Would Like Your Opinions!

GSkylineR33

Hello all!

Fellow SA'er here!

I am planning on purchasing my first Skyline, an R33 (still unsure about a turbo or not). I am a few months away from getting my full licence and would like your honest opinions on costing and all that. I am aware of the "Cost per Annum" thread, but I was after more local information.

I currently drive a VY commodore as my daily. And believe me when I say I drive as sensible as can be. In saying that, as a daily driver would the Skyline chew through petrol like no tomorrow?

I am aware of insurance being more expensive due to my age, but that is an acceptable expense.

I am currently looking at purchasing a non-turbo (simply because I prefer the looks of the Skyline, and there is a 100% chance that I would not take it to a track day) so I am not too interested in speed and power. HOWEVER I would like to know if there is a MAJOR difference between the GTS and the GTST ( yes I know one has a turbo :) )

I would like to finish by apologising if all this information is located somewhere else (I honestly searched) and would like to thank any and all replies. I am certainly not falling blindly into this sale and welcome all input. THANKS!!

Defs go for a turbo mate, you really wont regret it! They're really good bang for buck atm as well, can find cleanish ones around quite cheap.

Don't expect much fuel economy even if you drive like an ol' lady, probably round 300kms per tank, give or take.

Turbo model has better components, i.e. stronger gearbox, better brakes, 5 stud etc. etc.

Defs go for a turbo mate, you really wont regret it! They're really good bang for buck atm as well, can find cleanish ones around quite cheap.

Don't expect much fuel economy even if you drive like an ol' lady, probably round 300kms per tank, give or take.

Turbo model has better components, i.e. stronger gearbox, better brakes, 5 stud etc. etc.

I get 300 in town

Nearly 600 on hiway if your not flogging it

Ac on takes a bit more

Only turbo issue is premuim fuel cost more !! And maintenance does too

Na you should get 400-600 a tank on 65 litres not flogging it and 5 spd

Insurance was 5 bucks more then commo vt r8

And country insurance half again from city with high agreed value but old fart no tix or accidents

Make sure that you have it checked by a mechanic... And by that I mean a mechanic that is familiar with turbo cars/imports not some backyard generalist.

It can cost a little bit $100 to $300 depending on how much and how thorough a check they do but in the long term it is worth every cent...

If you don't know one you will find some recommended mechanics mentioned in the forums.

When I bought mine I made it a condition of sale. If they refuse to let it be done ask yourself why :)

Make sure that you have it checked by a mechanic... And by that I mean a mechanic that is familiar with turbo cars/imports not some backyard generalist.

It can cost a little bit $100 to $300 depending on how much and how thorough a check they do but in the long term it is worth every cent...

If you don't know one you will find some recommended mechanics mentioned in the forums.

When I bought mine I made it a condition of sale. If they refuse to let it be done ask yourself why :)

Already have a mechanic in mind, however ill try and find one like you recommended

Its a good idea to get a compression and a leak down test, as a minimum before you purchase it.

I used this when i purchased mine and it has lots of good info of what to look for.

http://www.skylinesa...uld-i-look-for/

And I already have this printed to take with me :)

http://www.skylinesa...uld-i-look-for/ is good but dont follow it word for word or your neva gona find a skyline lol dnt buy a 33 that has 70k on the clock thats just a lie there coming up 20 years old most older skyline have had a respray in there life iv even had my 34 sprayed cuz of paint fade just get a ascendant report if u can from motor reg and a compression test is smart make sure no $ is owing on the car

At the end of the day, old skylines are all, well, old and pretty crap, but excellent bang for buck if u go turbo, don't even think about a na, as it will be slower and older than your commy. Get all the usual checks done, but remember they are old cars and you will need change to fix things