SAU Community

Import Car dealer of the year

just sharing an experience which i just had.

A friend of mine is looking for an R33GTR, so we found an add for one about 2 weeks ago:

AD DETAILS:

MAKE/MODEL: Nissan Skyline GTR

YEAR: 1996

PRICE: $39,670.00

Nissan Skyline GTR Godzilla 1996 Series II, magnificent vehicle, full of extras, with warranty and finance available, on special $39670

when we called they said this car was silver.

We asked a friend(has a gtr) who had already seen this car how it was, and he said it was a series one, 1995 model, and was not worth seeing, as the engine had been out etc. so we did not bother going to see it.

just a few days ago, we looked on the car dealers website, and they had this ad:

Skyline R33 V-Spec

96 model, R33 GTR V-Spec, 80,000km's, after market exhaust, air filter, 18 inch mag wheels, rare color in gun metal grey, very neat car. $43,980

This sounded good, so we went to see it.

this is where is gets interesting, and i am only posting exactly what happened, not making up things from my point of view.

we turned up, and as stated, it was gunmetal grey. the compliance plate showed it was a 1995 model, not a 1996.. the dash and steering wheel were 1995 items, although it had dual airbags(option) . the car was also a Non-Vspec,.

we realised that they had posted an incorrect advertisement, and this was in fact the car that we had been advised agaisnt already!

our conversation with the dealer:

Us:We thought it was a 1996 series 2, is this the right car?

Dealer:It is a 1996 series 2

us:but it has a series one dash and steering wheel, and the compliance plate says it was built in 1995

dealer:it is a series 2, only the gts-ts have a different dash and steering wheel(incorrect!) and it was built in december 1995, thats when the series 2 came out, everyone knows that! Ive been in the industry for 12 years, what do u know about skylines!?

(as u can see he seemed a bit upset for whatever reason)

(at this point we asked for and got a peice of paper off them to write down the chassis and engine numbers)

us: it was advertised as a vspec, and its not

dealer: it was not advertised as a vspec,(he then showed us the trading post add, that was different to the add on their website which did not mention vspec)

us: well on the website it says it is a vspec

dealer:u must be confused.

(we decided to leave)

us:can we take this piece of paper with us (with the vin and engine no. on it)

dealer: why do u want it? u cant have it

us: (this was me i got annoyed) we want it to check for when it was built, dont U check the vin and engine number when u buy a car?

dealer: no i dont! give me back the paper, its my car, and the piece of paper is my property and u dont have any right to it!

(we tore off the bit witht he chassis and vin and gave him the rest and left)

It was a complete waste of time, and i cant believe their behaviour towards us, we were polite to them, and only got frustrated when he started lying to us and showing us attitude...

U would think that they would be at least friendly and truthful if they realised that a customer knew there was something funny going on!

Hey mate is the web page still up?

If so get a screen shot of the page, then go back to the dealer with a camera and take some photos of the car, then compile all of this evidence together with a letter detailing what this dodgy dealer is doing, then send it off to fair trading office or whatever.

If the dealer wants to treat you like a d1ckhead, then it is not only your right, but your duty, to bring this mother f**ker down.

From experience after spending an easy 6months trying to find the right GTR, that seems to be the norm and quite common. There's Plenty of Dodgy GTR's and even more dodgy sellers. Get use to it I say... and if in doubt, get the dealer to put it in writing on the contract of sale.

the website is still up, and has a picture of the car, with the heading/info 1996 series 2 vspec.

its not a parramatta road dealer, its a well known import dealer in the north.

we already had our fun with a dealer on parra road, he wanted 60 grand(!!!) for a 1996 series 2 gtr vspec ( a real series 2 this time...) with 55000kms on an aftermarket nismo dash..

we gave him an offer, it was too low for him, so in his words he 'educated us' about import cars and how his car is worth 60 grand for like 25minutes! we got lectured! but he was not rude so we just sat there and took it....

probably the same guy that told me an apexi safc was an "$8k computer" - then refused to show me the paperwork he allegedly had in his office (unless I wanted to put down a $500 deposit.... to see the papers). I got the "you know about turbo cars do ya?!" line too

f**kin idiots and an insult to the intelligence. Pity there are even more stupid people out there who are all too willing to lap it up

Hahaha, this reminds me of my one of my own experiences when my sister was buying her car. We saw a nice one advertised in the paper, but upon showing up on the lot, we were told it sold yesterday and were steared in the direction of a dodgy and more expensive red POS. Anyways, we were asking a salesman about the one that was in the paper when the owner of the lot comes out and starts chatting to us. These two could not get their stories straight. The salesman had told us earlier it had sold yesterday and was in perfect condition, the owner says 'sold it this morning, you didn't want it though it wasn't in brilliant condition' The salesman then said, half assed 'oh yes, thats right, HOW COULD I FORGET' This didnt go down to well with us and by that time we were walking off the lot, then the salesman literally RUNS after us and tells us its a set amount and if we leave we can't have it. lol. some people are snakes.

Good one on the GTR tho, nice to see you were on your guard.

I could not believe the way those dealers today acted, u would think that after realising that we were not idiots, they would revert to telling the truth so maybe we would actually buy the car!

ive always heard about shonky car dealers, but this was my first real life experience....

when you are buying an 8 year old twin turbo 4wd imported sports car that is commonly used for track/drag racing u gotta be on your guard :)

Guest INASNT
we got lectured! but he was not rude so we just sat there and took it....

Y did u stand around listening to BS?? I helped my sister buy her first car recently (96 lancer) and the amount of shit they try spill to u even about a lancer, and they all assume u dont know nothing about cars in general. Every time one would start talking shit i would say 'thats nice' and just walk away while they were talking to me. Most times they get the idea and shutup but other follow u for ages even when u start walking faster away

What assholes

I say we do a gone in 60 seconds act on them, steal all the dodgy dealerships cars in one nite. Store them in a warehouse and use the parts for ourselves :)

sounds good, im in, we could have a SAU collection of cars for communal thrashing :P

what i dont get is, if dealers realise that a customer knows that they are talking shit, why dont they stop talking it, so they *MIGHT* actually make a sale! especially on these types of cars, im sure they dont sell many GTRs in a year!