Uprev Reflash

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

On the web, you read that the Uprev reflash can have up to 5 stored tunes which can be accessed via the cruise control. Any options for our cars without cruise control?

Does Chris's mod to add cruise control work with the uprev reflash mod to chose a tune?

My theory on this is that it should work considering the factory cruise control switches are wired into the ECU directly. That said, I'm not sure if there's a bit of code from the factory ECU software which needs to be present in order for the UpRev code to function. The one glimmer of hope that I have is that when I submitted my V36's ECU dump to them, (ECU code #: 1ND2A) I was told that it was identical to that of an ECU in the US. Considering cruise control is a standard issue item up there, my theory there is that it should actually work.

So while the lack of a cruise control module will render it inoperable as a cruise control system, the switches should still allow the UpRev code to respond accordingly for its mapping. The question is, who wants to be the guinea pig of this theory? :)

If nobody gets around to it before I do (which I dare say might be a long while as I've got other priorities), then I guess I'll be that guinea pig.

Edited by The Max

I was reading somewhere on g35driver that they can't use Uprev on the early 2003 sedans so its gotten me wondering whether or not Uprev would be compatible with a 2001 300gt. Does anyone know?

I don't know WHEN i'll get around to it due to working M-F, but the cruise control (Chris's version), and an UIpRev reflash are definitely on the list. Also finding a Sydney place offering UpRev is not as easy as it is for those further North. :verymad:

If I found an easy solution to the second problem, it would make the first a little more of a priority, and maybe the tune house could talk directly with UpRev US to determine its compatibility.

I contacted a Marrickville dyno tune place I thought might have it, but they do not, and they offered me a piggy-back ECU and tune for 1.7K including the dyno tune.

Look I'm going to copy and paste, cause the same Convo is going on with 350z people. Bit sick of people not bothering to get off their ass and asking the same question over and over!

Sorry but there is a lot of misinformation here.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have said the same thing here and on the v series section on sau.

You can buy uprevs tuner software for $700 usd. If you have a laptop, download the software for free. If you don't, get the tuner to download it. Any tuner is able to tune uprev. The program is very easy, and similar to almost every other kind of software. Any decent tuner will NOT have a problem using the software. Put it this way, I have no training in tuning, I read the instructions which are comprehensive, and after I dropped 600cc injectors in my car, tuned it so I could drive to the tuners. It's that easy!

If you ecu isn't supported, provided its the correct ecu type, you can dump the rom, send it to them. They'll send you back 4 different files, tuneable ones, and also a back to stock. I have done this twice now with them, dumping m35 stagea, and also r51 pathfinder ecus.

There is no mapping out or anything to be done. You just dump the rom and send it to them, if it's not on the supported list.

Now onto "accredited" tuners. Uprev pro tuners are only tuners that have paid uprev for the privilege. They get a tiny bit more flexibility in how they see logging, and I suspect they get some maps for various cars to work off. There is nothing magical about them.

Finally, if your tuning a stock car for bolt on mods, NOT bigger injectors, you should not be paying more than $300/400 for the tune. Really it's a piece of piss. Enough practice, I could do it.

So chose your tuner for their tuning ability, not because they have or haven't used uprev.

Sorry for the rant, but people think tuning is some magical dark art. It's not. At the basic bolt on stage is fuel, air, spark.

Look I'm going to copy and paste, cause the same Convo is going on with 350z people. Bit sick of people not bothering to get off their ass and asking the same question over and over!

So chose your tuner for their tuning ability, not because they have or haven't used uprev.

Sorry for the rant, but people think tuning is some magical dark art. It's not. At the basic bolt on stage is fuel, air, spark.

It takes me back to the days when I went to the MoTeC seminar back in 2003 and learned a great deal. Up until then, all I knew was how stuff generally worked to fix my Maxima but I didn't really understand the science behind what conditions called for the right lambda or how much ignition timing advance is too much, etc. Of course then there were the intricacies with setting up the idle air stepper motor, tips on determining the ideal PID values when calculating against unknowns since idle stepper motor specs weren't available, checking with them my idea of ground-speed based boost control and so on.

The road dyno tuning I did to my vehicle as a result was pretty damn good but the one thing that was the killer remained to be the ignition because you can't really hear the first onset of slight pinging when you're driving (unless it's down a laneway with fences all the way from top to bottom, heheh). I learned a lot about ECU tuning on my M800 and it definitely proved that even an electrical engineer can tune a car.

So you're right, it's not a mysterious art form but it does help to find someone with the right tools and a good solid foundation of knowledge. That's why I'm set on taking mine to Tunehouse. Aside from the fact that I met the owner at the same seminar all those years ago, I rate the Dynapack dyno that he uses, he knows his stuff and more importantly, he runs a professional business. Despite him offering a piggy-back ECU, I'm sure he'd take on the UpRev option if you supplied him with it. That's my plan. What he does from there on in is then entirely up to him. He might even like it enough to go that way too instead of piggybacks.

Edited by The Max

Tony, it was Tunehouse. Maybe we should talk. Providing two cars in one go (with others interested) may be the push they need to make the commitment to getting UpRev enabled / experienced or whatever.

Their price did worry me, but it did include a new ECU piggyback unit. I liked them for it as I want the dyno tune and the drive-in-drive-out service they would provide.\

On a side note, my garage in Bondi Junction provides a Dyno tune service, whereby they send the cars to marrickville for the tune (no piggyback ECU, just a tune), and they said it would cost around $1200 and said the guy was really good. I think it would be sent to Tunehouse.

Edited by vee35

I'm not planning on tuning mine for a little while yet. I've got other priorities at the moment since I'm so short on time. Once all the electronics I'm working on are sorted out, that's when I'll be paying Jim a visit. I doubt he'll remember me after 9 years but I know I can trust him and his team with my vehicle regardless.