SAU Community

Passenger Side Rear Suspension Keeps Rattling

Getting this weird rattling noise every time i go on a bump, even the smallest bump or a slight dip in the road causes this irritating rattle. The best way i can describe the sound is like a piece of hollow plastic pipe tapping against metal. I already tried emptying the boot (removing jack, spare tire, rear seats, tied up all cables etc) and trying to identify the source of the noise. It sounds like its the suspension but i dont know what part of the suspension it could be. Is it the bushings? Or has something just come loose like the shocks? Its going to be a pain in the ass if i have to remove the damn parcel shaft to get to the rear shocks ==' All i want right now is to know where the noise is coming from, driving me nuts.

I also tried pushing some weight on and off the car while its stationary to see if the noise appeared but i couldnt hear anything, its only while driving. Already checked the passenger side drive shaft. Also i had the k-frame replaced 5 months ago, but the noise existed prior to the replacement of the kframe.

Cheers in advance for the responses =)

Already took out the seats and checked bolts on the parcel shelf, Its more of a mechanical sound so ive narrowed it down to a component in the suspension itself. Ill check the bushes now, but theres like 50 bushes ==' Could be anything. How much would it cost to change the bushes? My front sway bar and shock absorber bushes are worn out too. Do i need to change all the bushes?? or just the ones that are worn out?

Could it be a worn out bearing? What sort of suspension are you currently running?

My whole suspension setup is stock, stock shocks, stock springs, everything stock. Car's only run 79,000ks. Was planning on lowering it on low king (or tein) springs 30mm drop.

Do you mean the wheel bearings or is there another bearing i dont know about?? cause i just had that checked while i got new brakes done.

Edited by Deza3000

Just came from a drive, the noise sounds like when you bounce a basketball 5 cm off the ground very fast. The rattle persists for 1-2 seconds on every bump.I ran over a small stick and it rattled like a bitch.

could also be the bolt that hold your parcel shelf support bracket on.

whip seats out and take a look. takes ten mins.

You reckon i should just remove the whole parcel shelf, brackets and everything to identify the rattle?

I found my problem it was the lose scissor jack screw.So happy.now got a bit paranoid that the coilovers.were.faulty

Oh really?? where abouts is the screw located? ill try and have a look.

I found my problem it was the lose scissor jack screw.So happy.now got a bit paranoid that the coilovers.were.faulty

Ha. I had that happen years ago. Annoying rattle went on for a couple of weeks before I found it.

Oh really?? where abouts is the screw located? ill try and have a look.

He means the jack is held into its receptacle in the left rear gaurd by its own screw tension. You slide it in and wind it "up" until it holds itself in place. If you leave it in there loose it rattles.

Edited by GTSBoy

I took out the whole jack and theres stll the same rattle, it has reduced a little, i also tightened all the nuts the jack holds onto. Im beginning to think its coming from the parcel shelf, ill probably take that apart next to identify the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the cause of the rattle, turns out its the heat shield in-between the boot and the muffler, Might wedge an aluminum piece in there to stop the rattle.