SAU Community

Antz 1994 R32 Gtr Project & Restoration

Hey Ants! I just read through your build thread... i was bored at work today :)

Loving your attention to detail, I wish i had the time (and $$) to put as much into my GTR. Maybe when I retire mine as my daily.

I'm glad you've soldiered on looking forward to seeing the end result of all your work!

thanks mate its always appreciated to hear that (things you do when your bored :teehee: )

its a bit of a roller-coaster ride FTM and I am trying to deal with it the best I possibly can.

Really enjoyable build bud, Will be checking for more updates!

Thanks buddy. I endeavour to have some nice updates coming very soon :yes:

Edited by Ants

• 2 weeks later...

few pics while I was at workshop

IMG_1991_zpsd6b54328.jpg

IMG_1990_zps1e4fe6a9.jpg

Garrett -5s bolted into place with HKS actuators set to 15psi each (my beautiful daughter in the backgrounds :) )

IMG_1988_zps6016456c.jpg

IMG_1989_zpse1726ee6.jpg

Mines dumps pipe - sexy bit of gear

IMG_1987_zpsb9085399.jpg

braided turbo oil and water lines fitted

IMG_1985_zpsb2755fbd.jpg

here you can see the new silicon hoses fitted (pushed aside FTM)

Will have some more exciting updates coming very soon, so watch this space ;)

Awesome build mate loving the little 1%'s like match porting etc. it makes a lot of difference in the end when you've put so much of your own hand time in. Even tho it may not be quite as good as what a pro shop might have done, if you can do a good job yourself I think that's always better. I bought a tig welder and did my own fab work. Didn't really save myself much but it didn't leave the garage and had some fun at the same time. Any muggins can pay someone else. Not so sure about spray can painting lol I'm a ex panel beater and was lucky enough to do my time with a prestige shop, so not so big on spray can jobs lol. But credit to you the bits you've done look quite good. It's coming together great, going to be a very very nice car that engine is a ticket item to making it a stand out. Special Japan magic. Putty I'm a thousand or so Kay's away otherwise I could of sorted that few little rusty patches for you. I'd say she's seen a little bit of salt in the northern parts of Japan. Not as bad as a lot of them tho. I wouldn't be too worried about what you uncovered, minor. Keep it up mate.

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

Awesome build mate loving the little 1%'s like match porting etc. it makes a lot of difference in the end when you've put so much of your own hand time in. Even tho it may not be quite as good as what a pro shop might have done, if you can do a good job yourself I think that's always better. I bought a tig welder and did my own fab work. Didn't really save myself much but it didn't leave the garage and had some fun at the same time. Any muggins can pay someone else. Not so sure about spray can painting lol I'm a ex panel beater and was lucky enough to do my time with a prestige shop, so not so big on spray can jobs lol. But credit to you the bits you've done look quite good. It's coming together great, going to be a very very nice car that engine is a ticket item to making it a stand out. Special Japan magic. Putty I'm a thousand or so Kay's away otherwise I could of sorted that few little rusty patches for you. I'd say she's seen a little bit of salt in the northern parts of Japan. Not as bad as a lot of them tho. I wouldn't be too worried about what you uncovered, minor. Keep it up mate.

Thanks for the positive comments mate. Yeah, although they may not make a massive difference performance wise, all the small things make a big difference to me. Seeing the results from doing the work myself is satisfying and considering I work in an office 5 days a week and that any mechanical or detailing work is not my profession makes it even more satisfying. What I also like about doing things on my own is that I get to learn (from mistakes as well :whistling: ) and I'm quiet nicky picky with things so can only blame myself for not doing it correctly ;)

The rust is an issue and even after I have the engine installed and I have more work to do on it and will keep this build / restoration thread alive for a bit longer.

awesome build mate, really looks the goods. that tomei crate motor is the goods too, cant wait to see this thing in the track. good luck with it, and stick to your guns, it will all be worth it at the end ;)

Thanks Dale. The Tomei engine is really my dream coming true and even I cant wait to see how it goes. Will certainly be sticking to my guns but I am also happy to listen to others which is what makes this forum so special :yes:

I have decided to go another way with the ECU and received this today.

IMG_2029_zps3e0e3130.jpg

Haltech Platinum Pro Plug In ECU - hopefully it can back up its great reputation. If not I still have a Apexi PFC that I know will deliver results.

are you going to ceramic coat the dump pipes?

No that would be a crime :P . Besides, now they are bolted up I'm not gonna bother, although I know it would assist keep heat in the exhaust rather than the engine bay.

Good choice on the Haltech, I too am thinking of going down this path.

Do you plan on retaining the AFMs? The thing that put me off the Link is that apparently it will not allow me to run the AFMs.

Good choice on the Haltech, I too am thinking of going down this path.

Do you plan on retaining the AFMs? The thing that put me off the Link is that apparently it will not allow me to run the AFMs.

Yeah. I had been talking to a few guys on SAU (namely Qld members ;) ) and really educated me on ECU choices. One of the key reasons why I've gone Hatlech is to do away the A/F meters.

The other reason is that it has more tuning capabilities than an Apexi Power FC which is good to have for track days.

How much was the Haltech if you don't mind me asking?

I have to say I got a very good deal from an SAU member. Cost me just under $1,500 delivered.

Awesome build thread man, Can't wait to see the

final result.

All the best.

thanks mate.

Oh, so that's the one you bought. I thought it was new.

Great deal that one!

yes, that's the one ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay everyone.

Engine is now finally bolted into the car :)

IMG_2071_zps2a9cc85e.jpg

IMG_2074_zps2b8a7aed.jpg

IMG_2073_zps8dbd545c.jpg

Just need to attach a few more ancillaries including exhaust, fluids, then run-in tune. then after that she will be back with me :banana: