SAU Community

Shit People Say When Trying To Reduce The Price Of Your Car

Paramour

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dad and his son came and looked at my 76 RA28 Celica and straight away the dad was into the car and trying to downplay it.

"Those tires arent flash, they'll probably need to be replaced before we take it anywhere.." -- The tires weren't the greatest brand, but for a car that sat in the garage it was good enough and less than 500kms on them. "they're fine to drive on", I responded.

*after the test drive*

"It's a bit squeaky don't you think? hahaha" ... I was thinking, "you're face is a bit squeaky", but I said, "the car is pushing almost 35 years old, could do with some new bushes here and there". He responded, "I think it's way past that."

*looking underneath the car*

"There's abit of rust here.. I thought you said you got rid of it all, it's pretty bad." I responded, "I got rid of the major rust and what you're seeing is exactly what was described in the ad, and exactly what is shown in the pictures you requested.. I don't know why you're surprised?"

At this point the son seemed really uncomfortable..

the dad persisted..

"The interior isn't original, is it? You have definitely lost value by replacing it.." -- I'm selling the car for $4000.

By this point, I had enough, I shut the doors and headed towards the front door and he offered me $3000 for it. "No thanks mate".

"Ok, good luck with it then.. hahahhah"

Later that night, he called up again and offered the $4000. I was relunctant to sell it to him, but fortunately took an earlier call from another guy who was driving down from NSW to look at it. So I said he would have to wait.

The dad then offered $4500 to pick it up there and then.

I ended up selling it to the NSW dude for $4000 a week later.

The bravado he displayed in front of his son, came back to bite him!

I could 'hear' him say to his son that afternoon, "Well now I've softened him up for you, he'll be desperate to accept a lower offer when I ring him back!". smarty pants

It would have been worth the $500 to get the dickhead dad to come down to "leave a deposit" only to tell him when he rocked up that it was sold!

I thought about that, but I didn't want to waste any more of my own time.

I didnt mention that he called up first thing in the morning and said he would be over around 10am, then called me throughout the morning to pushback the time.. he rocked up at 3.. so that was a waste of my morning/afternoon.

The bravado he displayed in front of his son, came back to bite him!

I could 'hear' him say to his son that afternoon, "Well now I've softened him up for you, he'll be desperate to accept a lower offer when I ring him back!". smarty pants

The worst part was that when I spoke to him over the phone on a few occasions leading up to the day, he was understanding of the condition of the car. Pfft!

Only thing I can add is when I sold my outback

Nice ppl they were, cranked the fan but the a/c button wasn't on, let it ran for a few mins while they checks out other stuff

Came back to feel how cold the a/c was....uh its a bit warm, yeah mate you have the a/c isn't on

Also, while I'm here, my step dad us looking at getting a new van

The iload is winning at the moment but the dealers don't seem keen to drop the price at all as there is so much demand for them

Anyone got any hints for negotiating on a new car? I've only ever bought second hand/private

The iload is winning at the moment but the dealers don't seem keen to drop the price at all as there is so much demand for them

Anyone got any hints for negotiating on a new car? I've only ever bought second hand/private

Go to two Hyundai Dealerships that are owned by competitors > get the 'best' deals you can at each place > say you'll think about it > go back to each place on Thursday 31/1/13 and see if they'll drop their prices to boost monthly figures (from remaining stock) > create a reverse auction if you have to, saying, "Well such-n-such dealership is willing to let us have this for $*****. What can you do"?

You may then hear the response, "If we can match that and supply extra optional extras, will you be willing to do business now"?

Todays entry is - My son only has $12k will you take that. . No I won't I'll take $xx, ok you may or may not hear from me again. . maybe he can scrounge up more money! Or dad can lend him some more. .

At least he was honest. . and didnt waste my weekend time

Edited by Paramour

Todays entry is - My son only has $12k will you take that. . No I won't I'll take $xx, ok you may or may not hear from me again. . maybe he can scrounge up more money! Or dad can lend him some more. .

Yes, sometimes the 'poor' approach works well - particularly near the end of the month. And they have your Phone#, so they might call within 2 days eh?

Really good van, had an iMax for a month or so when the olds were out from the UK, it's quite tall though, and only just fitted in the garage...

Does your Dad have an ABN? They tend to be a bit more accomodating if you do.. Some driveaway deals at the moment, but I think only on the petrol manual..

Just keep plugging away and look out for the ex Hyundai Head Office Demo's, They do run a few of them as part and parcel of their fleet for press and leasing demos.. Tend to have racks etc. on them as well.

Why not buy used? I've had a few iLoad's in at my dealership over the months.

Sales people work on committments, just as Terry said you will be asked for a committment first at whatever price. I usually say "Ok and if i can do that would you put an order and a deposit against the vehicle subject to (whatever)?

Comparing prices to other dealers is a killer, unfortunately there's not many ways we can get around that unless we know for a fact your bullshitting (ties with other dealers and access to stock & prices) so that's probably your best bet to approach it like that. As much as i hate hearing it, it usually works.

When I was selling my Crummydore ute, I told the prospective buyer my asking price; he then offered me a thousand dollars MORE than my price.

Being the flexible, accommodating individual I am; I accepted.

This is of course balanced by the same individual ringing me over a year later, to inform me that the exhaust had fallen off the car. He wanted to know what I planned to do about it.

Over 40,000km of driving on dirt roads doing mine surveys in a lowered Commodore ute with 18" wheels.

I told him to take it to a particular exhaust place in my area, and get them to repair it (I had no prior arrangement with them, nor had I ever even been there).

Then I told him to tell them I was paying, and to just drive the car away.

I have no idea how this ended, but I never got another phone call.

Dickhead.

Gold! Absolute Gold!

phew... thought I was going to get a mention in this thread when I jokingly low balled on OP Axis... :)

I didn't try to knock money off though, just told him my budget, which was a bit less than his car... which is worth every cent of the asking price and then some!!!

No harm done bunnybash, every cent counts and everyone has a budget in mind......

Yeah he has an ABN, drops the price a fair bit but the first dealer we went to see didn't seem at all like he was gonna budge off RRP (abn rrp, its about $34.5k)

Going to avoid used this time, a lot of the second hand ones have potentially seen a very hard life the way a lot of tradies drive and care for their vehicles

Another big issue is the fact that there aren't many new ones in australia apparently. The local dealer has none, only has a few coming on the next boat and a special order is 3 months away so their not at all desperate to get rid of them

Yeah he has an ABN, drops the price a fair bit but the first dealer we went to see didn't seem at all like he was gonna budge off RRP (abn rrp, its about $34.5k)

Going to avoid used this time, a lot of the second hand ones have potentially seen a very hard life the way a lot of tradies drive and care for their vehicles

Another big issue is the fact that there aren't many new ones in australia apparently. The local dealer has none, only has a few coming on the next boat and a special order is 3 months away so their not at all desperate to get rid of them

Have a look at the VW Transporter, there is a new $30K entry price point.

I drive one as my daily vehicle and it is bar far the most comfortable van on the market to drive. The iLoad has a very harsh rear suspension that just bounces over bumps in the road.

+1 for transporter. twin turbo diesel + 7 speed DSG is a great combo.

$30k looks to only be the 5 speed manual 250nm motor

twin turbo is the 450nm and jacks the price up to over $40k

will definitely get him into look at one tho

Got a friend who has defleeted their Transporters for iLoads as the drivers prefered them to drive, and our friends prefered the servicing costs...

Had a few scary bills on the VWs.. Previous to that, they had Vito's which lasted for ever but cost a fortune to buy in the first place..

LOL Great thread!!!

My first car back in the late '90's was a MINT '76 XC Fairmont GXL. Citrus Yellow (not pine lime) - a VERY rare high impact colour, black vinyl roof, 351ci, top loader optioned & 9in. I was the third owner & it had been a single male car it's whole life. The owner before me had stored it, then stroked it to 378ci & changed the rear gears to 3.23. After a hard 5yrs (I was a P plater) i decided to sell it. How I wish I had've kept it!

A young fella came round with his mate (in a banged up celica) walked round it once, looked underneath & complained with attitude " This has been on a hoist", I replied, "it's over 20yrs old, so yes, it's most likely been on a hoist, & as an apprentice mechanic who works in a dealership, all new cars that go through pre delivery are put on hoists as part of the process." Without any further questions, or looking under the bonnet I get the " Can we go for a drive?" "Sure no problem, hand them the keys & I get in the back seat after they get in. After a disgusted look & being questioned what I'm doing, I reply "You don't think I'm going to let you go by yourselves do you?" I told them to do a lap of the block (which was all of 380mtrs)& back into the driveway. He hummed & harred. As I turned to walk off, I told them to go joy ride some other suckers car & stop wasting my time!

When I decided to sell my R32 GTS-T Type M, which was super clean & had heaps of JDM gear I'd put in including a Nismo 260km/h cluster, I had the usual stupid low price offer txts, but one guy who really wanted it (he was from eastern europe) wanted to haggle over a few hundred bucks, over the phone, through his uncle! When I told the uncle how much it owed me, his eyebrows went up & the native tongue came out. After a minute he looked at me, smiled & said deal.

I hate dealing with dickheads (refer Dale's posts-LOL!!)!!!!!!!