SAU Community

Are N/a's Really That Slow? Or Are People Talking Out Their Ass.

timmyrgm

Naa maybe for a series 1 but mine is a series 2 coupe, had 50,000ks on the clock

your right about a newer series 2 being more expensive although i still think 10k is a bit much imo. also i doubt those 50,000ks are geniune. i cant believe that in 12-13 years (for a 96') it had only done 50'000ks, thats a tad over 5000ks a years which doesnt seem right at all

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your right about a newer series 2 being more expensive although i still think 10k is a bit much imo. also i doubt those 50,000ks are geniune. i cant believe that in 12-13 years (for a 96') it had only done 50'000ks, thats a tad over 5000ks a years which doesnt seem right at all

i actually thought that as well until a mate of mine went over to japan, he said since japan being a small country dont drive as much as we do, taxi's and public transport is more common there than driving, hence why a lot of imports arrive less than 100,000ks on the dial. Also one way to identify if a car has genuine low kms is by looking at the engine by how much corrosion the valve covers have. My engine was clean but the valve covers was covered with corrosion due to being garaged. Took me a while to clean it all off. Another way is compression check, so far the car seems genuine =). As for the price, i think the P plater laws may have influenced the fluctuation of n/a imports.

NA's are awesome! Everyone that says they are gutless and cant drift just dont know how to drive!

I have an r32, na rb20 with a locked diff and some second hand coilovers and I can link almost anything. Enter fast, throw hard and keep in high rpm and you will have more fun then anyone else on track! Here is a clip of me with other N/A mates at QLD Raceways all drift day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcfD1dfYaTU

NA is hands down more reliable to!

4L falcon ute

Lumpy cam (something that hits a bit higher up as they still have tons of torque)

5 speed

HD clutch

Locked diff

Lowered shocks in the front

Blocks in the rear

Big ass sway bar

2.75" exhaust

High flow cat

200rwhp with instant tyre spinning torque and the most fun car I've ever driven (maybe.. I like the zed :P )0. My ute would fry second gear in the dry from a roll on with 225's (not the widest but still half OK), and I could drift the shit out of it.

It was just so punchy, sounded absolutely sick and an absolute blast to drive.

I sold it to an L plater who's family contacted me a fortnight later asking what sort of diff was in it, as they wanted to swap someone for an open diff because it was too much of a handful for their son and it was too scary for them to teach him in it, haha.

i actually thought that as well until a mate of mine went over to japan, he said since japan being a small country dont drive as much as we do, taxi's and public transport is more common there than driving, hence why a lot of imports arrive less than 100,000ks on the dial. Also one way to identify if a car has genuine low kms is by looking at the engine by how much corrosion the valve covers have. My engine was clean but the valve covers was covered with corrosion due to being garaged. Took me a while to clean it all off. Another way is compression check, so far the car seems genuine =). As for the price, i think the P plater laws may have influenced the fluctuation of n/a imports.

Almost all if not all imports have there km's wound back, even mine while prob the cleanest 33 I had seen for awhile would have it's km's wound back a little, the prob is its harder to prove there genuine then it is to prove there not, they never come with books from japan, how convienient.

N/A's have there place in the market, just depends if you want to pay the extra to get an import over having a cheap aussie car.

Almost all if not all imports have there km's wound back, even mine while prob the cleanest 33 I had seen for awhile would have it's km's wound back a little, the prob is its harder to prove there genuine then it is to prove there not, they never come with books from japan, how convienient.

N/A's have there place in the market, just depends if you want to pay the extra to get an import over having a cheap aussie car.

I guess youre right =/

http://j-spec.com.au...nd-back-mileage

If thats the case then, imports must have some pretty good reliability seeing as we dont change the timing belts until the "fake" mileage has been hit. Im on 80,000kms timing belt is still good. No wear outs or problems at all. I can say that for most import owners here.

Edit: a genuine certificate was actually provided to me with my car ;p

Edited by Deza3000

NA's are awesome! Everyone that says they are gutless and cant drift just dont know how to drive!

I have an r32, na rb20 with a locked diff and some second hand coilovers and I can link almost anything. Enter fast, throw hard and keep in high rpm and you will have more fun then anyone else on track! Here is a clip of me with other N/A mates at QLD Raceways all drift day

NA is hands down more reliable to!

off topic but how many sets do you usually go through being an n/a?

looking at the condition of the engine bay will only give you a vague idea of kms done. a car that is regularly cleaned and kept in a garage will look better than one that has spent time sitting out on the street, even if it has driven less kms.

the other thing to note is that kms done only tells half the story, as the odometer doesn't tick over when the car is sitting in traffic (this is why lots of machinery have hour counters instead of odometers). a car that spent a lot of time sitting in traffic idling will have a more worn engine than a car that has done the same kms, but they were highway driving.

a mate of mine was a mechanic for the police. they pulled down the engine of a highway patrol car that had done 10,000kms and it looked like it had done 100,000kms because of the amount of time that it had spent sitting on the side of the road with the engine running.

I guess youre right =/

http://j-spec.com.au...nd-back-mileage

If thats the case then, imports must have some pretty good reliability seeing as we dont change the timing belts until the "fake" mileage has been hit. Im on 80,000kms timing belt is still good. No wear outs or problems at all. I can say that for most import owners here.

Edit: a genuine certificate was actually provided to me with my car ;p

i'm sure there are plenty of cars running 200,000kms on the original timing belt that aren't imports as well. they are scheduled to be serviced at 100,000kms, but they will last much longer. they won't just let go at 101,000kms.

looking at the condition of the engine bay will only give you a vague idea of kms done. a car that is regularly cleaned and kept in a garage will look better than one that has spent time sitting out on the street, even if it has driven less kms.

the other thing to note is that kms done only tells half the story, as the odometer doesn't tick over when the car is sitting in traffic (this is why lots of machinery have hour counters instead of odometers). a car that spent a lot of time sitting in traffic idling will have a more worn engine than a car that has done the same kms, but they were highway driving.

a mate of mine was a mechanic for the police. they pulled down the engine of a highway patrol car that had done 10,000kms and it looked like it had done 100,000kms because of the amount of time that it had spent sitting on the side of the road with the engine running.

Yep thats true, lets not forget thrashed cars and cars that havent been looked after well. My mate bought a El falcon at 290,000 ks, full service history and everything. It was the most immaculate el ive seen and it drives better than most falcons ive been in. Handled a good thrashing as well.The previous owner was an elder bloke, always treated the car like new, however i do feel like its going to waste after it got handed down to my mates hands. Milage isnt everything i guess. Its just a natural instinct to be turned off seeing high milage when buying a car no matter what the physical condition of the car is.

i'm sure there are plenty of cars running 200,000kms on the original timing belt that aren't imports as well. they are scheduled to be serviced at 100,000kms, but they will last much longer. they won't just let go at 101,000kms.

Yea but thats a big risk especially with older cars, if that snaps thats 3k down the drain. Especially in aussie conditions where theres sudden spikes in temps, it causes the belt to become tough, dry and weaken.

Edited by Deza3000

I'm still on my Ps :whistling:

LOL oh that throws what i said out the window. Have you ever got caught? Come to think about it, ive been on my Ps for 3 years and not a single cop has bothered to pull me over. Maybe ive just been wasting my time with my stupid n/a and should upgrade to a turbo. hmmm

LOL oh that throws what i said out the window. Have you ever got caught? Come to think about it, ive been on my Ps for 3 years and not a single cop has bothered to pull me over. Maybe ive just been wasting my time with my stupid n/a and should upgrade to a turbo. hmmm

Haha cars not finished yet man, waiting on my tune... It's so close its driving me nuts.

But in saying that I got pulled over so much in my 33, there are pics in the "best looking NA section"

Haha cars not finished yet man, waiting on my tune... It's so close its driving me nuts.

But in saying that I got pulled over so much in my 33, there are pics in the "best looking NA section"

That's pretty sick, that must of cost ya a fair bit though. I tried looking for pics but the forum for "best looking NA" is massive!

Thats really odd cause my cousin also has a R34 with a loud exhaust (little riced up as well), 110db and cops never pull him over either. I mainly see them pulling over unroadworhty cars like old bombs. I guess its just my area. N/as dont really attract much attention anyway. I know sometimes the cops run rego plates through the system before pulling you over to see if the engine is classified as turbocharged.