SAU Community

Gq Patrol Getting Rb25Det Neo6 Transplant

Hello all.

New member here, joined up as I just purchased a neo engine for my RD28 Patrol. Maybe some people here will find it interesting/different!! I pick up the engine as of tomorrow, and I hope to get started Australia Day long weekend. Should be one hell of a battle, but I think it will transform the old battler into a real beast!!

• Like 1

So picked up the engine from a workshop in Sydney, picked it up for $1300. Not a bad deal I reckon. Strapped it to the work ute and transported it back to my workshop in Rutherford (45 minutes North West of Newcastle).

And here it is:

CameraZOOM-20130117142443057_zps947f7bbf.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130117142453416_zpsb6535b1e.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130117142503156_zps5c42b021.jpg

As you can see, she looks a bit sad and sorry, nothing a good extreme clean can't fix though.

It was also advertised as being complete minus ECU + loom. However, there was no intake manifold to be found, which peeved me a bit. Never mind.

I also got to take a home a crate full of the extras. Turbo, P/S pump, A/C compressor, alternator, various pipes and pulleys, bolts etc, its all there. Not being familiar with these engines myself, I took to the service manual to find out what I had, and what I still needed.

So I've tracked down an ECU and loom, an intake manifold, AFM, some new engine mounts (because one is cracked), an aftermarket intercooler and some piping to go with it (will fab up any other piping I need), a full gasket kit, auxiliary belts, and a timing belt/water pump/seals kit.

There is plenty of work ahead of me, that's for sure, but I cannot wait to get this all finished, and take on the sand dunes with this powerplant pushing the four wheels!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

hey mate i have a gu patrol im still converting to a neo 6 and i can give you a pretty detailed conversion process.as mine is near completely finished.

you use your factory rd28 engine mounts, find a intake manifold and engine harness with ECU out of a S2 r33 skyline (stuff i was never told!)

hey mate i have a gu patrol im still converting to a neo 6 and i can give you a pretty detailed conversion process.as mine is near completely finished.

you use your factory rd28 engine mounts, find a intake manifold and engine harness with ECU out of a S2 r33 skyline (stuff i was never told!)

Why the S2 R33 ECU?

If this was my conversion, I wouldn't use a s2 r33 rb25det ecu... because you can't install a nistune board for future tuning. And yes, you will wan't to re-tune it.

I would use an rb20det loom and ecu with a nistune board.... or if you are going off road, a full wire in ecu. By the time you buy a loom/ecu/z32 AFM etc and nistune... you spent a few hundred more for an aftermarket ecu and loom- and you don't have to run an afm (thus less prone to failure if you suck up water/mud/dust etc).

Spend some money on a decent surge tank (for all the crazy angles you'll get) and have a look at water to air inter coolers.

Sounds awesome, put some picks of the truck up.

J.

A workmate did that conversion to his. He loves it and it goes well! RB25DET neo and came with mines ecu.

Straight bolt into gbox etc, great conversion!!! He used a water to air intercooler setup though.

As mentioned above, use the RD28 eng mounts,

Use the RD sump too.

Also the RD flywheel and a heavy duty clutch. Heavy flywheel will help with heavy 4x4.

• 4 years later...