SAU Community

Good First Turbo Car For 6-7K?

Hey everyone, as my name suggests I have recently come of my p plates and am looking at something on the cheaper side of the market that is a turbo that I can also use as my daily and help me get into the scene a little better. I feel as if this will help me find out what I really want out of a car when it comes time to spend the larger amounts of money. I'm interested in doing a few track days and learning at the john boz wakefield track school however I obviously dont expect anything too reliable or quick for this type of budget. Knowing how the market has been going lately and seeing a lot of cars going un-sold over the past few months I guess it may be a good opportunity to get something decent.. Definitely after a manual only.

Looking around it seems there are a few r33 gtst, r32 gtst's s13's for around that price range, not including the dreamers on car sales that have stock r33 gtst's for sale at 10k. Really just looking at things like that, just wondering if I could get some recommendations or if anyone has a friend or has seen any threads that may suit my situation or any other cars that may be a little outside of the box that I hadn't thought of..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by go_away_p_plates

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, as my name suggests I have recently come of my p plates and am looking at something on the cheaper side of the market that is a turbo that I can also use as my daily and help me get into the scene a little better. I feel as if this will help me find out what I really want out of a car when it comes time to spend the larger amounts of money. I'm interested in doing a few track days and learning at the john boz wakefield track school however I obviously dont expect anything too reliable or quick for this type of budget. Knowing how the market has been going lately and seeing a lot of cars going un-sold over the past few months I guess it may be a good opportunity to get something decent.. Definitely after a manual only.

Looking around it seems there are a few r33 gtst, r32 gtst's s13's for around that price range, not including the dreamers on car sales that have stock r33 gtst's for sale at 10k. Really just looking at things like that, just wondering if I could get some recommendations or if anyone has a friend or has seen any threads that may suit my situation or any other cars that may be a little outside of the box that I hadn't thought of..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would go for something with some cubes, r33gtst minimum, id be looking at supra turbo's, vl calais turbo,

a 3L base is a great building block for a large garrett :)

Hey guys what about an older evo 1-3? awd turbo Ive heard they did a lot of re birthing on them though? so what took the vin of a normaler cli lancer and stamped it on actual evos? or took cli and converted the body part and running gear into an evo? anyone have some general info? from what research ive done it seems that they have become quiet rare... would finding an evo 1-3 in reasonable condition be possible for 5-7kish?

Edited by go_away_p_plates

Hey guys what about an older evo 1-3? awd turbo Ive heard they did a lot of re birthing on them though? so what took the vin of a normaler cli lancer and stamped it on actual evos? or took cli and converted the body part and running gear into an evo? anyone have some general info? from what research ive done it seems that they have become quiet rare... would finding an evo 1-3 in reasonable condition be possible for 5-7kish?

Try more like $12-14k-ish for a good nick Evo 1-3. You might find a rooted one for <$10k but it'll be f**ked.

As has been said, you will not find better than an R33 GTST if you want a turbo car for $6-7K.

Edited by Cowboy1600

do research s14 are a great platform and so is the r33gtst. They both delivsr performance differently, and the SR20 responds well to mods as does the rb25. sellers wbo have been on the market for long are usually happy to negotiate. i would also think the s14 would mean lower insurance sincd its not a import.

do research s14 are a great platform and so is the r33gtst. They both delivsr performance differently, and the SR20 responds well to mods as does the rb25. sellers wbo have been on the market for long are usually happy to negotiate. i would also think the s14 would mean lower insurance sincd its not a import.

An S14 for $6-7k? Where are you lot pulling these from?

You'll just get an S13 for that sort of money. Any S14 for that money is f**ked. And an AU delivered one wouldn't have an engine in it for $6-7k.

You will get a GOOD R33 for $6-7k or a decent S13 or a rooted S14.

An S14 for $6-7k? Where are you lot pulling these from?

You'll just get an S13 for that sort of money. Any S14 for that money is f**ked. And an AU delivered one wouldn't have an engine in it for $6-7k.

You will get a GOOD R33 for $6-7k or a decent S13 or a rooted S14.

I said Automatic are 6-7k and i have seen a few going for that price, because who would honesltly pay more then 7k for an Auto ?

here are some links

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/springvale-south/cars-vans-utes/1997-nissan-200sx-coupe-turbo-sale-swaps-/1013387341

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hendon/cars-vans-utes/nissan-200sx-s14-sports-coupe-immaculate-/1013156759

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hornsby/cars-vans-utes/1996-nissan-200sx-coupe-modified/1013149826

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/underdale/cars-vans-utes/1997-nissan-200sx-series-2-sport-5-speed-manual-2-door-coupe/1012879080

Edited by starwarz

I am biased so read my suggestion based on that knowledge.

For the money you have I would be checking out VLs that have already had some money spent on them. Something that has already got a GT35R, GT30, GT35/40 based turbo on it, or has a twin cam head etc etc will be in your price range and with minimal work will get 300rwkw in a car that weighs less than 1300kgs. Regardless of what people might tell you VLs can be made to handle and with the interchangeability of later model parts you can choose wheels, seats and other bits and pieces as you please. Genuine Holden wheels are awesome compared to a lot of the aftermarket rubbish around nowadays. For example:

1209091059-00_zps5c568c3a.jpg

In addition there is a mass of knowledge on VLs and they are relatively easy to work on.

You could even get something like this http://www.calaistur...ad.php?t=264833 and you still have some money to play with. Yes cars like this may have some dodgy mods, this one has a locked diff and gauges on the bonnet, but that is why they are so cheap. Try and find an import with forged internals for that price.

Edited by *LOACH*