SAU Community

Good First Turbo Car For 6-7K?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a FIRST turbo car, I wouldn't recommend something that already heavily modded, as starting with less kw and doing the mods yourself will teach you so much. Such as how to handle it and how to repair it. Also it heaps of fun to learn about the mods as you go.

At your price range whatever you choose will need money spent on it, so get something you can learn and experiment with, but ultimately YOU have to like it.

The cars mentioned above all have their merits and it really is personal choice. if you can, do the rounds, sit in each one, drive them if you can, and find one that feels comfortable and has the styling that you like.

R33 GTS-T

/thread

Simply no better value for money in a turbo Jap car. Except maybe a 1JZ Soarer...which is a lot of car for the money.

But one already modded if you're sensible enough to drive carefully until you adapt...otherwise, if you're the type to modify, you WILL spend more than what you paid for the car on mods.

• 2 weeks later...

For that money I would look at HH Galant VR4. Basically EVO driveline in a slightly larger sedan think l

Liberty/Legacy v WRX. Aus delivered and import. Not real well known so has some fun Q-ship factor.

R33 GTS-T

/thread

Simply no better value for money in a turbo Jap car. Except maybe a 1JZ Soarer...which is a lot of car for the money.

But one already modded if you're sensible enough to drive carefully until you adapt...otherwise, if you're the type to modify, you WILL spend more than what you paid for the car on mods.

There is an R34gtt in FS section for $9900.... Yes it is higher than the 6-7k mark but is already semi modified and damn cheap! Its a slushbox though!

R33 GTS-T

/thread

snorers are cheap to buy, but a bitch to maintain, ahem lower control arms ahem.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my R32 GTS-t for $6k, standard everything. Was an awesome daily, rev it and it'll go hard, drive it like a commuter car and it would easily do 600km to a tank. Shame my dad wrapped it around a pole on a wet day.

These days you can get R33 for that price. If you don't mind the looks, they are a good car IMO. The 2.5L would make it a little easier to drive in traffic and the car would be more comfortable than an R32.

Whatever you decide on, try to get one that's as close to standard as possible. There are good ones out there, you have to be patient.

Would be a pretty shitty 33 for 6k though.

7k Could buy a respectable one, but you do need to be patient. You'd almost certainly spend money on it though.

You can't expect to limp into the market with imports and expect to be satisfied with not spending money after purchase. Some really well sorted R33 GTS-T are going for as much as 12k+, which seems a huge difference when others are going for 6-7k. With the 6-7k cars, you can usually expect to spend a decent amount of money to have a clean car.

I limped into the market with a 5.5k R32 GTS-T a few years ago and I've spent another 4-5k on the car to fix up stuff and make decent enough power.

Be patient and keep an eye out, the cars that usually float around for a while are the ones people realise aren't worth the money (not always the case). In the meantime think about whether you want to spend a bit more in the short term to save spending a lot more in the long term.

• 2 weeks later...

look for something that has been turboed or had an engine transplant. if u up your budget by a couple of grand u will find some gems like turbocharged eb falcons, 1jz cressidas, subaru liberty with sti running gear, sss with sr20 or even a gti-r in that price range. Toyota aristo, soarers theres too many to list it all comes down to wht your after at the end, show pony with go or sleeper

• 3 weeks later...

Fastest turbo car you can get at that price range is a TT Manual 300ZX. Is it the first choice car? FAR from it. I'd be looking at 97-99 WRX's and 180SX's.

Edited by Tyranus

• 2 weeks later...