SAU Community

Hi all, new to this forum. I'm 27 from sa and recently been given a 1995 r33 gtst from the old man as he is looking for a rz supra. (I know lucky). Its a stocker in black with a heavy clutch not sure what kind. I have recently given her a service and very happy with it. Still pretty quick in stock form and handles well. Have noticed a slight rattling sound coming from the box area on idle, now I know there is already a post on this, but when I touch the clutch Slightly it stops which leads me to believe it might have something to do with the clutch. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys!

Lulz. My Exedy Ceramic Race clutch must be a twin plate then... :P

OP, it's more likely to be your throw-out bearing. Twin plates rattle when you depress the clutch pedal, not when you take your foot off the pedal. My money is on your throw-out bearing being slightly worn.

Edited by Hanaldo

It's funny... my Noob was pointing in that direction too. :D

Mine makes a little bit of noise too but hasn't changed in 2yrs / 20,000 ks.

Do they eventually crap out badly?

Yeh they can do, like any bearing really. If it goes then it won't do any extra damage to other parts, you just won't be able to get into gear so you might get stuck. Both my RB boxes had a bit of noise, it's very common. I just pay attention to whether it is getting any louder, some get worse very quickly while others take years. If my clutch wasn't a pull type then I'd pull it off and replace the bearing, but it's too much of a pain in the ass :laugh:

Edited by Hanaldo

Thanks for the info hanaldo, is there anyway of telling what brand/ type of clutch I have? I'll get the old man to have a look as he is a mech.

Not without dropping the box and having a look unfortunately, no way to tell with the box attached to the motor.