SAU Community

New Guy With A Skyline R33 Gtst !

Youii

Hey everyone I bought a skyline r33 gtst 1996. So the guy told me it had a r34 turbo a front mount and an exhaust I told my mate to have a look at it and he said its also got a Mitsubishi bov. Do I get an after market bov or a stock one ? And also who do I take the car to, to get the boost up to at least 10psi ??

on a stock ECU, yes - you get breakups after 11 or so and a massive rich-and-retard in the middle (i know alllllll about this one :( )

even with aftermarket ECU, try to stay at 13 or under - reliability and all that, the turbo's almost 20 years old if still stock.

Hmm - you can probably run 12psi then, but yeah, with stock ecu you'll get massive rich-and-retard in the middle (like it has MASSIVE lag in the middle of the RPM curve), then comes on ridiculously strong. If you're not used to it, you'll punch your car into a pole.

If you haven't had a turbo car before, set it to 9psi, have a play with that, and then once you're confident (and I'm still assuming no funny business on the roads), then look at moving it upwards.

When I first got my 33, mine was set to 12psi and it scared the living shit out of me. (admittedly with a Power FC so the midrange grunt was back)

Lol umm well I'm kinda getting used to it that's why I've been asking just started a little funny business on the road and haven't had problems. Maybe I should leave it at 10psi and see what happens from there.

on a stock ECU, yes - you get breakups after 11 or so and a massive rich-and-retard in the middle (i know alllllll about this one :( )

even with aftermarket ECU, try to stay at 13 or under - reliability and all that, the turbo's almost 20 years old if still stock.

There is no way of saying what boost to set the car to to avoid R&R. Mine used to R&R at 8PSi. Why? Because I had an efficient intake and exhaust.

The ECU goes spastic at a certain AFM voltage depending on RPM. AFM voltage is all about air flow, (Cubic feet per minute for example of air flow). Boost pressure is all about a restriction.

Restrict the exhaust, and then at the same boost pressure you'll make less power. Why? Less Cubic Feet Per Minute of air flow.

For the sake of your turbo, set the boost below 10PSi.

For performance sake. Set the boost on a dyno, and still keep it below 10PSi.

Haha I don't think I'm ready for track still getting the hang of it.

I had my mate drive it and he showed me its full potential so when I learn to drive like him then ill take it out on track.

Haha I don't think I'm ready for track still getting the hang of it.

I had my mate drive it and he showed me its full potential so when I learn to drive like him then ill take it out on track.

The track is the best place to learn how to drive it, and it's the only place you want to drive it hard.

Take it out to a Texikhana too, very good for learning your driving skills.

Yep, definitely Texi - helps you learn heaps more about how the car handles and reacts - nice and cheap too!

The next step from there's doing a Marulan Driver Training Centre day, awesome fun. You go in the learner group, and take your time. Did that last time and learned heaps about how the car flows on the track, first time out on a real track.