SAU Community

New Guy With A Skyline R33 Gtst !

Youii

Haha I don't think I'm ready for track still getting the hang of it.

I had my mate drive it and he showed me its full potential so when I learn to drive like him then ill take it out on track.

The track is the best place to learn how to drive it, and it's the only place you want to drive it hard.

Take it out to a Texikhana too, very good for learning your driving skills.

are u ok ?

^ About time he got a warning. His posted started to annoy me, and I don't moderate here lol.

OP, track days is the best place to learn how to drive as mentioned already. On your first day you will quickly figure out how bad your driving is and adjust to suit. Something as simple as hand placement on your steering wheel. Best to do skidpans/texi as well, as you'll more likely use those skills (for example, controlling a slide if you hit oil) on the road.

My first track day on a wet Oran Park in my crapbox R31 was the most fun I had and learnt so much.

You don't need power for track days. Flush your brake fluid with something decent (Super DOT4 at a minimum), put some decent pads on there (contact GSL Rallysport for some Resma or A1RMs), replace all fluids and filters, etc.

Keep your standard blow-off valve, apart from the lame noise, you have no other reason to get rid of it. It helps with response between gear changes. For boost, stick with standard for now. Once you get used to the car (how it handles, power delivery, fix all the other shit first like brakes, suspension, etc.), you can buy a boost controller (e.g. $30 turbotech) or stick an RB20 turbo actuator (10psi) on there. No point running more than that, reasons mentioned already.

Hmm - you can probably run 12psi then, but yeah, with stock ecu you'll get massive rich-and-retard in the middle (like it has MASSIVE lag in the middle of the RPM curve), then comes on ridiculously strong. If you're not used to it, you'll punch your car into a pole.

If you haven't had a turbo car before, set it to 9psi, have a play with that, and then once you're confident (and I'm still assuming no funny business on the roads), then look at moving it upwards.

When I first got my 33, mine was set to 12psi and it scared the living shit out of me. (admittedly with a Power FC so the midrange grunt was back)

Meh. You make it sound like theres a huge difference between 9 and 12 on a stock GTST. I feel like I can have a cup of coffe while at WOT on 12 psi in my gtst.

That said I find even the speed of stock GTRs boring these days. When I was younger I was like whoa, now its more like, get a move on you POS :D

Edited by sonicz