SAU Community

Building New Engine

whizzn

So your pretty much going drag racing with twin 3037's... is that what you wan't to use the car for?

I'd very seriously consider a nitto 3.2 stroker kit in an rb30 block, with a billet crank girdle/awd adapter plate, red-r racing prepped head. don't bother with v-cam.

Honestly, with such big wizzers, it's almost not worth trying to chase any kind of decent responce, so just shoot for big numbers.... this means, big cams, valves, springs etc etc etc... work on around 8.5:1 static CR, plan for e85, greddy intake manifold is a good thing (I have on on my gtr).

Before you get too far into what bits and pieces you should buy, what workshop/s are you planning to use? who will be tuning the car? the reason I ask, is these are the people you need to talk to before you go buying anything... they have (or should have) a lot of experience in what works well for your car/set up/engine etc.

Given any thought to management? clutch? gearbox? susp? brakes? diffs? fuel system? oil control? etc...

Cheers

Justin

Workshop i'm still undecided on but have thought of ringing racepace, jhh and couple others here in Bris

I don't want an all out drag car, i'm kinda hoping i can get a setup that will have these spooling up around 4k that will hopefully give me some sort of driveability

As for management i'm leaving that decision for whoever i get to tune the car but heard some good things about new haltechs although like the vipec units also

Clutch and gearbox - well i thought i had that sorted but seller hasn't got back to me albeit will be a dogbox slotted behind

Suspension and brakes are done, have tein superstreet coilovers fitted along with whiteline full adjustable suspension, brakes are 6 pot front & 4 pot rear GREX system

Diffs - will get looked at when they fail

Fuel system - twin entry fuel rails, dual pumps, bigger i.d lines etc set up for 98 to start with, need to learn more about E85 before i take that step

Oil control - I was thinking of running genuine nismo item with the duct that runs behind bumper (again i want to set up for street as well as strip so think dry sump system would be overkill)

Heaps more i need to think about as well, think i just need to give tuners a call and see which one i like best

Call up uni group in sydney mate. They'll get you sorted.

As for getting boost you wont see full boost till roughly 6k rpm.

A dry sump is going to be far from overkill on a motor that'll have to be revving to 10k rpm to get any use from twin 3037's.

you'll need a proper crank trigger set up aswell revving ghat hard. So talk to uni group about that. There custom ROSS kit is around 3k installed irc.

Also revving that hard your gunna need a big $$$ head. 280d with atleast 10.5mm of lift. Port work leaving no meat in the ports left. 1mm o/s valves. And a nice glowing plenum with everything port matched.

unless you wish to go a 3.2/3.4 nitto stroker I really cant see this gtr being any fun on the street.

An engine to handle this type of power RILIABLY including head is going to cost minium 30k. So be prepared. ghats not including fuel system/ box clutch/ ecu/ tuning/ diffs/ cage/ reninforcing of drivetrain/ spot wrlding body for strength. So really unless you have a cool 80k - 100k ready I wouldnt really bother. Especially when your already talking of taking short cuts with thijking of not going dry sump setup ect.

JOSH.

Edited by Joshbigt62r

Workshop i'm still undecided on but have thought of ringing racepace, jhh and couple others here in Bris

I don't want an all out drag car, i'm kinda hoping i can get a setup that will have these spooling up around 4k that will hopefully give me some sort of driveability

As for management i'm leaving that decision for whoever i get to tune the car but heard some good things about new haltechs although like the vipec units also

Clutch and gearbox - well i thought i had that sorted but seller hasn't got back to me albeit will be a dogbox slotted behind

Suspension and brakes are done, have tein superstreet coilovers fitted along with whiteline full adjustable suspension, brakes are 6 pot front & 4 pot rear GREX system

Diffs - will get looked at when they fail

Fuel system - twin entry fuel rails, dual pumps, bigger i.d lines etc set up for 98 to start with, need to learn more about E85 before i take that step

Oil control - I was thinking of running genuine nismo item with the duct that runs behind bumper (again i want to set up for street as well as strip so think dry sump system would be overkill)

Heaps more i need to think about as well, think i just need to give tuners a call and see which one i like best

Just front up to a couple of workshops (be preppared to not be able to speack with anyone for lengthy periods of time- all the good workshops are flat out.) and have a quick chatt. Explain what you are trying to achieve and the time frame you have to work with. Then go with woever you feel most confortable with.

If your looking for something drivable, 3037sx2 isn't going to get you there- even with a 3.4lt stroker. Again, your chosen workshop can point you in the right direction for turbo choice. There is no larger factor that determines the engines total power potential or potential power delivery than what turbo/s you choose. everything else is just supporting modifications.

Haltech... love em (I have a ps2000 in my gtr)

You'll need a box box over 400 rwkw to keep it reliable. Look at carbon, multiplate clutches for a good feel, take up, low noise and good power handling.

I'd highly recomend a front 1 or 1.5way lsd for over 400rwkw

Fuel system, plan for alch/e85.

Oil controll is alot more than just an oil cooler... breather set up, drains, block and head prep, oil pump choice. If you stick with 3037's consider dry sump, but a good internal pump has proven reliable for years.

... and the cost, well nothing awsome in life is cheap.

GTRNUR-

Are the r32 k frame spacers available off the shelf? Or are there off the shelf lowered engine mounts?

Wouldnt changing the angle of the engine affect drivetrain alignment?

Edited by StevenCJR31

GTRNUR-

Are the r32 k frame spacers available off the shelf? Or are there off the shelf lowered engine mounts?

Wouldnt changing the angle of the engine affect drivetrain alignment?

No they aren't an off the shelf item. I drew up some spacers in CAD and had then laser cut from 10m alloy plate. I can email you the CAD file if you like and you can get some cut out at any workshop that laser cuts sheet metals.

Spacers will upset the roll centre of the front suspension, but this is easily corrected with after market ball joints or roll centre correction spacers. Another side effect of spacers is that it limits where you can route your 4" exhaust, as the rear gearbox get in the way a little (discovered this today). Its going to require some heat shielding modification, and a mile of header wrap as the pipe has to be run closer to the chassis rail than I'd like.

With 3.15lt of displacement the best I achieved with GTRS's was 24psi at 3700 rpm and around 200kw atw at this engine speed. The GTRS's spool basically about the same as a single TO4z (800hp rated setups). Most people that drive these turbo setups on 2.8lt hate them. On 3lt+ the GTRS's suffer from shuffle issues. Only the old school T04z is moderately immune to being problematic.

Frankly these are old school setups and you can do much better with a single precision or borg warner turbo.

I think you have the wrong turbo setup for a street car. Like everyone is saying, you won't see full boost till very late so it will be a pig to drive. Decide on a power goal and build the engine to meet that goal. Seems you have put the cart before the horse by purchasing those turbo's...

I'm starting to think you're right, i'd always wanted a twin highmount setup for my car but starting to think this one might be just a lil too ambitious for what i need lol

I'll ring couple places and get there inputs over next couple weeks and see what we come up with but i think by sounds of it there might be a twin hi mount kit on market again soon :blush:

This is why i haven't bought many other performance parts for it yet as everything is still up in the air on what it's going to have but i thought i could get away with this kit on a RB28 stroker tuning to around 750hp for one wild street car, guess i'm wrong (not easy to admit lol)

Trying to avoid the 30 path, if only they fitted under bonnet without any issues but in saying this i read a thread on here about racepaces RB29 and was very intrigued, have to have look again to see what block they used

Edited by whizzn

For my money, a gun GTR street set up would be a 2.8, twin low mount T517z 10cm Greddy turbo's, well set up head to suit the turbo's, 4.3:1 gear ratios and a good clutch/gearbox combo. I ran mid 10's 8-9 years ago on a stock engined/t517z/ppg dog box/ os giken r3c set up with stock gearing.

If you wan't any more after than, bang a 150hp shot of well set up nitrous...

I now have a 2.8 twin billet td06 set up... not as fast on the street as the old set up. But close.