SAU Community

Steering Clunks At Low Speed

ausdrift

So ive noticed that when Im steering at really low speed I tend to get a clunk sound as if there is play in the steering and its starting to get my interest. Steering feels fine, no real issue there but the clunk has got my attention as its annoying. Anyone have this problem? Fixes?

Huh? Im going off memory since I have 4WD front suspension, but don't you have a lower control arm connecting to the bottom of the hub with a ball joint?

The tie rod end is a ball joint too but that isn't what I was referring to.

Yeah, ok. Im familiar with the part as I have previously replaced the steering knuckles on the car, but does anyone know, it the lower ball joint a part I could theoretically change myself, or is that one for a workshop that would press it in on a bench with the proper press/tools?

Actually, I was having a look and wondering if its more a case of removing the rubber outer joint cover, cleaning the joint, replacing the greese and squeezing on a new rubber cover? Thoughts?

If the ball joint is clunking, it means that the socket is worn and grease will do nothing. If you can feel any play in the socket by hand, it means it needs replacing

Replacing them is easy if you have all the tools. You'll need:

A small hydraulic press (6 tons was enough)

Circlip pliers

Various pieces of metal tube.

I used a piece of 60mm wide steel tube with 4mm thick walls and put it underneath the ball joint, then used another piece of tubing over the pin to push the ball joint body through the hole, which then falls into the 60mm tube. Dont forget to remove the circlip first, they are usually hidden under dirt.

The most labour intense bit is usually getting the tapered pin out of the hub, unless you've got a ball joint clamp.

Ahh crud. If I had a house and garage I would no doubt invest in the press and use it for many a year, but being in a rental appartment, I think this is one for Padders. Anyone know what the labour on this might be?

If you can get the ball joint pin out of the hub, you'll be able to check whether there is play, then it would probably be easiest and cheapest to just remove the arms then take them to somewhere to be pressed out. Would take 15 mins.

cool. I actually have a spare set of LCA but they are modified to be longer (to be used with the modified knuckles i have in a box) so either way I might just get a shop to replace the standard arms themselves if thats infact the issue. Thanks