SAU Community

Time To Talk Harnesses

Further to me buying a cage, it's time to get a harness.

My question really centres around whether it's better to get a 5 point or 6 point harness and the mounting of both.

With a 6 point does it/can it use a single mount point under the seat or does it need 2? (I understand it needs to go just back from the chest line).

Further to that, I'll be making a new seat frame to get my seat lower for helmet clearance and wondered if I can integrate mounts into the seat frame (a cross bar between the two sides under the seat) or if should be mounted to plates on the floor pan or something?

I'm looking at these two examples which ahve 3inch shoulders are FIA approved and seem to be very popular in the states.

http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7000

http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF-C7001%2F7101

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd get a 6 and spread the pickups out as much as you can- it can reduce the pressure on your testicles :)

2 other points to consider. Firstly - will you be running a HANS device? Harnesses for HANS devices have a 2" shoulder strap. Non-HANS are 3". If you run a HANS harness you can only run it with a HANS on for some reason. (Well if you get over-zealous CAMS officials that is. But then most of them are.)

Secondly - would you ever like to run it as just a 4 point (I used to prefer doing this at say DECA where a bit of body movement was handy on the skidpan). If the answer to that is yes then make sure you find a harness with the buckle on the waist strap rather than on the crutch strap.

I'd considered the load on the boys...

No HANS device for me, I don't have the helmet for it and won't be doing any hardcore racing etc in this car.

I hadn't considered running as a 4 point, could you not just run the crutch straps looser if you wanted some movement?

Do you have an example of a harness that has the option to remove the lower straps?

If you are entertaining the idea of 5/6 point then have a good look at your seat. I think for skinny guys a 4 point harness with the side straps mounted at the correct angle work fine for 99% of people. If you ever want to upgrade then you can get a crotch strap then as most 4 point harnesses can be upgraded with a crotch strap at a later date. That way you also avoid the issue Snowie pointed out re the buckle being on the waisst strap

What count's as skinny.

I'm 6ft and 87-88kg, will probs get to about 90kg tops.

I'd be happy with a 4pt for simplicity but everyone has been on me about "submarining".

I'd likely use the factory mount points for the waist straps.

You've seen my seat on the cage thread Velo Podium V1

When I had that harness no and no.

But a collared polo under your long sleeve t-shirt does help with neck rub. We used to have cool SAU ones back in the day for just that purpose!

I'll keep that in mind.

There's not much else in the way of 4pt FIA harnesses besides the velo and the rpm one, anything else worth considering?

And is 4pt going to be enough.

I guess if the FIA cna approve them then they must be OK, and at the moment I just use the normal belt anyway...

If the answer to that is yes then make sure you find a harness with the buckle on the waist strap rather than on the crutch strap.

This man speaks the truth.

I have a Velo 6-point and it does rub neck a little bit, but its a decent harness otherwise.

I just rang Velo and confirmed it can be wrap around mounted.

He also said that you get 10yrs out of it, 5yrs standard and then at a CAMS event they honour for another 5 so decent value, I might just go with that.

Anyone got any mad deals on Velo gear?

Have a look at the rally nuts site for good pricing. Apparently all the FIA harnesses can have the shoulders loop mounted, but some have the eyelets stitched in.

Ebay seems cheaper, even for the more Euro popular brands like TRS and Sparco.

Not to be argumentative, but the TRS magnum 4pt is 92quid on rally nuts and 138 at your link. The sparco is 112 versus 149.