Time To Talk Harnesses

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's looking the cheapest.

The question is. the TRS for $225 or so, or an extra $25 for a Velo, get it faster, support Aus etc...

Unless someone has a better deal or knows of an FIA 4pt for less than $225 delivered.

Edited by ActionDan

If you want a good harness then Sabelt or Schroth are the industry standards. Many of the Sparco harnesses etc are actually Sabelt. Have a look at the adjusters, some are nightmares...generally the alloy being more expensive function better.

That said as long as you know what you want...3", alloy or steel adjusters....saloon style, 4/5/6 point and you are not worried about brand then OMP, Sparco, Willans, Racetech, Velow, Takata, RPM...just shop around and get the best buy.

Also, when looking at ebay and cheap harnesses...often the cheap ones are 2 or so years into their validity period.

Good information guys.

I got a thing for Sparco lol so was getting a Sparco 6 point but now will check out the points mentioned above.

Anyone here use a HANS device in a saloon type car?? There normally an open wheeler thing I thought.

BTW Dan get a 6 point. I have a 4 point and it irritates me when it rides up my waist so hence why I want a 6 point... In addition to the extra mounting points.

Edited by SRS13

I've got a TRS in my drivers seat and a willans in my passanger side both are very good. Willans has different webbing, bit softer but thats about it. I got the trs from the driftworks site in the UK, took about a week. TRS was allot cheaper from memory.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with a Velo Magnum 4pt. Just waiting on the cage to arrive so I can put it in.

I got it from a new local supplier - http://theracerswarehouse.com.au/

Very happy with the price and excellent customer service. Nice to deal with an online retailer who gets back to you quickly and answers your questions properly (and speaking from experience).

post-23873-0-54773800-1371428037_thumb.jpg

With a 4pt harness, make sure you pay attention to the location of the lap belt mounts. You need to keep the lap belt down over the boney part of your hips/pelvis when the shoulder straps are tightened. To achieve that, the mounts generally need to be alot further forward than the factory lap sash mounts are. Generally 20-30deg behind vertical is the greatest angle you can use.

With a 4pt harness, make sure you pay attention to the location of the lap belt mounts. You need to keep the lap belt down over the boney part of your hips/pelvis when the shoulder straps are tightened. To achieve that, the mounts generally need to be alot further forward than the factory lap sash mounts are. Generally 20-30deg behind vertical is the greatest angle you can use.

Yeah it is for this reason that alot of people use 6 point harnesses. They may chafe your balls but in the event of something serious happening they are worth the discomfort.

Are there any rules on harnesses for track days? Tried the cams website but I couldn't find any information.

I was looking at mounting them on the original seat belt mounts with the original seat belt.

Like this: figure A & B

http://www.proracestore.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=4827

The I bolt seat belts look to be a bit of a pain and I don't want to drill into the carpet/body.