SAU Community

Ford

A better article, but from what it is saying i think it is only PART of the Geelong plant closing.... If the Engineering side stays open i think it will be OK

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1521557/gallery-ford-to-shut-australian-plants/?cs=12

Holden won't be far behind. The Broadmeadows plant is simply massive. Definitely one of the top 3 buildings size wise I have ever seen, bigger than most International airports. Sad that so many people will be out of work coz of this. Does this mean the end of the Falcon then?

Holden won't be far behind. The Broadmeadows plant is simply massive. Definitely one of the top 3 buildings size wise I have ever seen, bigger than most International airports. Sad that so many people will be out of work coz of this. Does this mean the end of the Falcon then?

Yep its sad times indeed! You would imagine the Falcon will go with it? :/

I did my apprenticeship with Ford and thought they would always be fine, its a sign of the times when they start to feel the pinch!

Yep its sad times indeed! You would imagine the Falcon will go with it? :/

I did my apprenticeship with Ford and thought they would always be fine, its a sign of the times when they start to feel the pinch!

nah, wont be the end of the falcon. It will just be the end of it as we know it - It will become a rebranded US FF platform. They have already indicated that they planned to do this from 2016 once they ended production of the barra 6 motor.

nah, wont be the end of the falcon. It will just be the end of it as we know it - It will become a rebranded US FF platform. They have already indicated that they planned to do this from 2016 once they ended production of the barra 6 motor.

So basically the end of the Falcon :P

From Wheels Magazine:

"It's official Ford Australia will close its doors in October 2016. 1200 jobs to be axed. Ford says finances no longer viable, having lost $600 million over the last 5 years and $141million in 2012 alone."

Another article here (from after the press conference)

http://www.smh.com.au/business/uncompetitive--ford-pulls-out-20130523-2k2cf.html?skin=text-only

Edited by alex182

it's bad news for the Australian manufacturing industry. Unfortunately the parent company has not seemed to have had any interest in keeping the local arm alive for years. I believe that poor marketing was the final nail in the coffin.

it's bad news for the Australian manufacturing industry. Unfortunately the parent company has not seemed to have had any interest in keeping the local arm alive for years. I believe that poor marketing was the final nail in the coffin.

It really is bad news but the industry has been on a decline for a while! It is scary to think what the future may hold for the rest of the industry....

Am so happy that Carlos Ghosn had a plan for Nissan in the late 90s; but it was also a plan for Renault. I wonder what his plans are until 2020 and beyond?

Toyota and Holden are still increasing sales and profits - Hyundai is now the fastest growing car manufacturer.. everyone else should be fine. Ford just kept producing the same product every year at stupid prices and barely changed anything. The costs involved in manufacturing the cars especially labour impacted Ford's failure the most..