SAU Community

you can do it from the top also with 2 long 3/8 drive extension joined together with uni joints

shine a torch over the top of it down the gap between the firewall and the motor and the bolt seems to miraculously shine !

Reese - take up Duncan's offer

like I said, put a rope around the end of the spanner it will give you the grip to pull it down. If you are still stuck tomorrow let me know, I'm heading back down there in the morning.

Attack the starter from below.

I use a 450 long 3/8" drive uni socket and add short extensions to clear the alternator/radiator.

Do the hard bolt (top one) first, then the bottom.

When re-assembling, fit the bottom bolt first and lightly nip it up to hold things in position.

Top bolt should also have a metal cable clip under its head just to make things harder.

You can buy "starter motor spanners" also called half moon or "C" spanners, or heat and bend a $2 Supercheap job to suit.

14mm socket is way easier though.

sorted?

yes after breaking two types of rope i got a chain and that worked..

lucky enough my brothers friend has small hands and got the spanner on then i cracked it and he pulled it out - i tried removing the box my self today - way to weak to lift and pull ect getting help tomorow morning - so things are looking good if all goes well ill have fly wheel cleaned up tomorrow and back to start putting it all togeather over the weekend

to give everyone an idea i cant actually touch the bolt - a disavantage of being tall - i dont have the hands to be a mechanic - the more i do stuff to the car the more respect i have mechanics lol

• 6 years later...
On 6/4/2013 at 11:28 AM, Reese69 said:

right we got a snapper on and tried cracking n couldnt..

i tried the rope idea this morning and knocked the spanner off..

i can not get he spanner on hands are to big..

if there is anyone from canberra that can get this one bolt off ill shout a 6 pack of beer or something pls help lol

im home all day give me a call or text

0423730741 located south side

Did you get the bolt off

He'll probably still trying to get the (unt off! ?

Let's be honest, they are a shit of a thing! I recently reminded myself why I pull the whole engine/trans assembly out the bottom recently when I just removed the tranny. Lesson re-learned....

• 2 weeks later...