SAU Community

Hsv More Fun....?

Godcla

Lets us drain your experience from your mind then sir ?

vz club sport cammed and stalled 6 year ownership pulled over 10 times never got an infringement just random checks. Summary just bullsh!t and once I got urged on to drag by them. R33 gtr 3 year ownership pulled over not once

They way u drive is the main thing I've only been defected once but I had huge ass rims on my skyline so u gotta expect that looked like a dealers car then so I took them of any now I haven't been hassled since but I practically do they speed limit

Yep that RX7 looks like a street car.... LOL

And for those saying the GTR is too heavy, you obviously know nothing about Kazutoshi Mizuno's design philosophy and intent - and I'm pretty sure knows his sh1t.

I would drive the RX7 on the street....

As for the GT-R being too heavy, Keiichi Tsuchiya - A professional race car driver commented his thoughts about the R32-R34 GT-R.

"I do feel the obstacle to making the car go faster, accelerate more rapidly and brake better, is the overall weight of the car".

Then Nissan went and made the next GT-R (R35) close to 1800kg...LOL. The only way they compensated for the weight disadvantage was the copious amounts of electronics they implemented which has taken away from the driving experience.

In my opinion, the R35 doesn't have the racing pedigree of the older cars, that is it was made to appeal to a broader market than the previous Skyline GT-R's which weren't as "grocery" friendly. I'm not saying its a bad car, I just think it has less spirit than some of the golden era Japanese nostalgia vehicles.

A car like an S15 can be made to go faster...for cheaper, and it will be a more involving and enjoyable experience. Not to mention it costs less. And obviously the reward system in my brain (psychology 101 lesson right there) will be more stimulated by my heightened sense of involvement with a car that is not controlled by electronics.

I think the previous Skyline's (R32-R34) marked the pinnacle of the closest you could get to a happy medium between electronics and driver feedback.

Agreed. Well said. I think what you have described is a driver's car. I agree that the problem with cars today is the lack of involvement and feedback. That rawness that you are talking about is what gets you involved and allows that bond between car and driver which separates a car enthusiast from driver enthusiast.

In my opinion, the R35 doesn't have the racing pedigree of the older cars, that is it was made to appeal to a broader market than the previous Skyline GT-R's which weren't as "grocery" friendly. I'm not saying its a bad car, I just think it has less spirit than some of the golden era Japanese nostalgia vehicles.

A car like an S15 can be made to go faster...for cheaper, and it will be a more involving and enjoyable experience. Not to mention it costs less. And obviously the reward system in my brain (psychology 101 lesson right there) will be more stimulated by my heightened sense of involvement with a car that is not controlled by electronics.

Interesting, I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about the Mitsubishi Evo X... I've come out of a Lotus Exige S 240 (which I used to track regularily) to the GTR, and to be honest, I can't find anything to complain about the GTR..

I'll say one thing look around ??? Do u see many jap imports speeding around ??? Look at the percentage 85% of people own standard family cars !! Only a additional 15% own hotted up imports so who speeds more the imports or the everybody else I rest my case :) we shouldnt have to be worried about defects and getting pulled up there is the percentage of the hard truth.

Edited by 500hp

I'll say one thing look around ??? Do u see many jap imports speeding around ??? Look at the percentage 85% of people own standard family cars !! Only a additional 15% own hotted up imports so who speeds more the imports or the everybody else I rest my case :) we shouldnt have to be worried about defects and getting pulled up there is the percentage of the hard truth.

So what are you saying I don't undeerstand

I think what he is trying to say is:

Economies of scale.

E.G

1 million people will drive a camry

10 thousand will drive a modified car.

Therfore, on average, more people will be caught speeding in a camry compared to a modified car due to sheer numbers

I think what he is trying to say is:

Economies of scale.

E.G

1 million people will drive a camry

10 thousand will drive a modified car.

Therfore, on average, more people will be caught speeding in a camry compared to a modified car due to sheer numbers

point is everybody speeds regardless of what car they drive....personally i find driving my skyline on the road totally boring, it really isnt worth taking it out of the shed unless i am going to a track or plan on breaking some rules....so most of the time it stays there and I drive around in a stock standard car and still manage to break the rules occasionally...if you want a race car, buy a race car...really not worth driving one daily IMO

and lets face it, 90% of people driving a v8 falcadore rip a skid occasionaly so technically that makes you a hoon....while 90% of camry drivers just dont bother,,...

gee you guys have some warped perceptions on LS motors and Commos! Get the right suspension setup for starters (and no you can NEVER compare a street registered Commodore to a freakin GT-R!!!).

Secondly there is no such thing as valve float unless you're an idiot running valve springs that don't match the cam or aren't shimmed correctly. The biggest risk factor for an LS motor spinning at high RPM is the factory lifters, in which case you replace with a tie bar set when changing the cam. That said, plenty of cars running big numbers with LS7 lifters.

Thirdly, most people with any modified cars fit a catch can for a more efficent PCV system. How many 300rwkw+ RB motors do not have one!?

My experience of owning both imports and domestic is that unless your domestic has its arse dragging or something attention seeking, it flies under the radar.

OP should have a drive of the VF HSV and see what he thinks, most of us can't comment on how an R35 drives after all ;)

Edited by bozodos

I got a ride in an R35 around Eastern Creek a couple of years ago. Power delivery is so smooth but still moves you, you can feel the torque. But it does all feel very civilised. It's like the car doesn't care about feel or whatever the driver wants to feel, it's just built to go quick.

I got a ride in an R35 around Eastern Creek a couple of years ago. Power delivery is so smooth but still moves you, you can feel the torque. But it does all feel very civilised. It's like the car doesn't care about feel or whatever the driver wants to feel, it's just built to go quick.

Yeah man!

Cause the R35 GTR is so refined compared to the last 3 generations of GTR's.

It feels subtle but in fact it is ridiculously fast.

gee you guys have some warped perceptions on LS motors and Commos! Get the right suspension setup for starters (and no you can NEVER compare a street registered Commodore to a freakin GT-R!!!).

Secondly there is no such thing as valve float unless you're an idiot running valve springs that don't match the cam or aren't shimmed correctly. The biggest risk factor for an LS motor spinning at high RPM is the factory lifters, in which case you replace with a tie bar set when changing the cam. That said, plenty of cars running big numbers with LS7 lifters.

Thirdly, most people with any modified cars fit a catch can for a more efficent PCV system. How many 300rwkw+ RB motors do not have one!?

My experience of owning both imports and domestic is that unless your domestic has its arse dragging or something attention seeking, it flies under the radar.

OP should have a drive of the VF HSV and see what he thinks, most of us can't comment on how an R35 drives after all ;)

Valve float at the limiter is a know issue.

Factory PCV is garbage for the stock motor. Also a known issue. Call any head rebuilder and just say that you have a ls engine and they will laugh. The motor has a design fault and it causes blow by, so they plumb it back to the intake and all that beautiful oil coats the intake, valves and piston tops, stops the valves from sealing which leads to more build up and compression suffers. The fuel mixture ron drops because of all the oil in the mixture and then the piston top get coated and the compression changes.

Now put the engine at the limitter and tell me how long it's got. Don't get me wrong they a great engine's but my original post was targeted at the guy that was saying that his mates run them at the limitter consistently. If I was to buy a HSV again first thing I would do is put a catch can on it. If anyone doubts me undo your induction pipe open the throttle body butterfly and put you hand in and see how much oil is in there.

Factory PCV is garbage for the stock motor. Also a known issue. Call any head rebuilder and just say that you have a ls engine and they will laugh. The motor has a design fault and it causes blow by, so they plumb it back to the intake and all that beautiful oil coats the intake, valves and piston tops, stops the valves from sealing which leads to more build up and compression suffers. The fuel mixture ron drops because of all the oil in the mixture and then the piston top get coated and the compression changes.

Now put the engine at the limitter and tell me how long it's got. Don't get me wrong they a great engine's but my original post was targeted at the guy that was saying that his mates run them at the limitter consistently. If I was to buy a HSV again first thing I would do is put a catch can on it. If anyone doubts me undo your induction pipe open the throttle body butterfly and put you hand in and see how much oil is in there.

i have. i got nothing on a 150k engine. well alot less than my rb anyway.

Are you positively annoyed friend? haha.

although i will run a catch can. i do on every engine.

Edited by Plattsy

i have. i got nothing on a 150k engine. well alot less than my rb anyway.

Are you positively annoyed friend? haha.

although i will run a catch can. i do on every engine.

Nah all good it's just when you have the problem and then get told it a known problem from HSV when queried it you get pissed off. And then engine builders and head builders laugh because it keeps them in business. I will post some pics of my mate when He did his rebuild. Edited by XGTRX

funny that my L76 did not have any issues with blowby when the heads were off? I also know of two LS1s that have had heads off recently and again, no issues like that? Maybe it's a wrong choice of oil viscosity or something like that in the cases that you are mentioning. I think it's a bold statement for you to make as saying it is an inherent design flaw. Can't say the same for my old RB with an atmo vented catch can, the intake was filth.

Again, these engines will rev happily, but with the right set of springs - once again the only LS engine I have seen with valve float and excess oil in the PCV was one that had 150k+ km and its original set of springs (and was about to crap a piston lol)

Ah I see my problem I expect more that 150000 out of an ls engine I got 354000 out of my rb26. My bad. American rubbish not the same as Japanese precision . Carry on.

• Like 1