SAU Community

Hsv More Fun....?

Godcla

Off topic. But damn. I'm older than you and it costs that much to insure my R34 which is worth roughy 11k

Mines insured for $135k and its $1200 a year full comprehensive with Just Cars and only in my name and I'm 23 I was expecting around $5k and no one ever believes me when i tell them how cheap my insurance is

Off topic. But damn. I'm older than you and it costs that much to insure my R34 which is worth roughy 11k

It really doesn't make sense when I rang up for the quote I double checked and made sure she knew my age and the value of the car and then I explained to her that my Evo 9 was insured for like 1/4 of the price and cost me just under $2k then she told me that's why Falcommodores are dear because young people get them and crash them doing fully sick skids lol she also told me why its cheap she said that because the newer the car the cheaper the insurance as parts are easier to find and etc also it goes on statistics of how many have been crashed and that apparently but hey I ain't complaining :)

Yah 1200 annual premium, but what's the excess if u made a claim.. :unsure:

I think you'll find that's the catch in this case

I upped my excess and lowered my premium excess is about $4500 which is dear but when it's for a car insured for $135k that's peanuts

Shopping and long trips, no issues here. I regularly hit the old Woolworths shopping centres in Brisbane, albeit I do park it away from ford and commodore owners, and anything else that looks dodgy. I also venture into Brisbane city most weekends and park in a range of carparks there for hours on end without issues. Of course mine isn't a daily, I manage still manage to rack up the kms after work and on weekends.

The GTR is surprisingly easy to work on. There are a good selection of mechanics around Brisbane - although I choose to take mine to a dealer and its a PITA to get there, but at least I know I don't have to (post warranty).

The lack of rear doors isnt an issue for me and the kids. Of course full sized 1.8m+ tall adults don't fit particularily well (head room - lack of) but I don't have that issue, and if I did have to kart around 4 adults, I'd do it in the Wife's SUV.

Yes, my wife has driven the GTR, and she drives it often (more than me some weeks!). She's more of a rev head than I am, which also helped getting the necessary approvals to get one in the first place :D

Yes, sure, GTR's do draw attention, but not as much as a Lexus LFA, Ferrari, or Lambo. I was at the Downshift meet in Brisbane a few weeks back, and parked next to a black fully sik Holden R8 bro and the Commie got more looks than mine :P as did the Audi R8, Porsche and LFA nearby.

Servicing is relatively cheap - certainly not INSANE as you say (pays to do the research!) Most services are in the vicinity of ~$500, and only the major ones (eg, full transmission + diff oils replacements - evey 30,000kms) being >$1.5k. When I was looking at buying the GTR a number of euros (not all of them entry level, but generally enthuisast type cars) came into the equation - things like Audi TT RS, Golf R, Scirocco R, BMW 1 and 3 series, etc. Basic servicing on all of these was a massive rip, almost every service around the $1k mark ($800+), and major services pushing the $2k barrier. Where the GTR blows in cost is brakes and tyres, but most of the euros I was looking at had RFT tyres as well, and overall not that much cheaper than the GTR (~$100 a corner cheaper). Brakes is another thing, $6k for OEM GTR pads and rotors but there are a range of aftermarket replacements that push that down to the $2-3k barrier (and in any case unless you're tracking it every weekend, the OEM's last 50-60,000kms)

People think insurance is an issue with the GTR as well. I have mine comprehensively insured with Suncorp for an agreed value ($140k) and costs me only $880/yr. Of course this depends on your area and age (I'm 38 with rating 1 for life)....

Realisticaly if you can't afford to buy a GTR, then you probably can't afford the servicing.. The Commies are much cheaper, and I think Holden still have 1% loans so not a bad bit of kit for the $$. I sat in the VF SS on the weekend, and while it feels nice, I still wouldn't touch it - and whats more my 3yr old boy looked at me with a raised eyebrow and shook his head....

Well said mate. I think this actually covered pretty much the experiences of owning the car.

• Like 1

My excess is $600 :) My wife who is 31 is also on the policy as a driver

I upped my excess and lowered my premium excess is about $4500 which is dear but when it's for a car insured for $135k that's peanuts

Edited by Wardski

Having the $ to own a GTR R35 at the age of 23 makes me insanly jealous. Mind you, when I was 23 there was no such thing in existance haha :P

I don't now his background, but either 2FA54U worked his a55 off during and after school saving his pennies, or he had one h3ll of an inheritance :D

For me, I worked my butt off overseas for 7 years to get mine (well, the last 3 years of it anyways - the first 4 I drank my way around and had a ball hahaah)

I'm 25 and I'm struggling with an R32 GT-R lol.

I've been working since I was 16, and have the best job I know of anyone my age on a decent wage, but still no way I can afford a 35 GTR... unless I win tonight's lotto... In which case I'll own a 32, 33, 34 and 35... ;)

Edited by James51

For me, I worked my butt off overseas for 7 years to get mine (well, the last 3 years of it anyways - the first 4 I drank my way around and had a ball hahaah)

I drank 3 of the 8 months of overseas work I did away while I was overseas :(. Was fun though haha.

If you're having issues with the R35 not being as fun, I'm happy to swap my BNR32 for one. You can have lots of fun in one of them ;)

Well I am Asian and I been working at my parents shop since I was 12 (I know what yor thinking the slave life) and working 2 jobs when I was 16 staring an apprenticeship doing horticulture then when I was 22 I got a job as a TA in a power station working a 3on 3off roster and making double of what I use to and still working at my parents shop.

I don't exactly own the car I still have a loan of $100k I was as surprised as most of you's when Volkswagen finance gave me the thumbs up for the loan and it was my first one apart from a personal loan for my evo.

People tell me I should of bought a house or something but I work alot and like to spend money and the little time I have on things I enjoy like my GTR :)

Edited by 2FA54U
  • Like 3

I'm of the same mentality. I've worked my arse off since I was 16, and now work as Project Manager for an IT company. I've contemplated saving as much as possible to put towards a 35, but that 6 digit loan is a little scary. Theres one in WA up for 80k which is rather tempting even if the black hood on silver body is a little garish.

Still everyone tells me to spend 40k on a car is too much at my age and to buy a house instead. A car is more than a means of transport than for your 'average' person. It's a hobby, its your enjoyment, its your baby. Some people like to go home and sit infront of the TV after work. I like unwinding with a nice cruise around the country roads or some twisties in the mountains. Horses for courses.

There are 2 points that you can own a sports car in your life (assuming you get married and have kids), when you are young, and when you are retired / mid life crisis. Guess which version of you looks better in it?

Wish australian prices were in line with the rest of the world though. >.<

• Like 1

LOL

Most people on here would own theres and with my repayments I will have it payed off in less then 5 years also I don't see how that's funny that I admit I have a decent amount of loan for one but each to there own I guess

• Like 1

Most people your/our age would be pissing their pay up against a wall. Where there's a will there's a way, and you seem to have found both mate. Not everyone can afford a 100k+ car and those that can are usually either much older or born into wealth.

• Like 1

Most people your/our age would be pissing their pay up against a wall. Where there's a will there's a way, and you seem to have found both mate. Not everyone can afford a 100k+ car and those that can are usually either much older or born into wealth.

That's exactly how I see it and I don't feel I need to lie about it what point does that make. Unfortunately I wasn't raised up with a silver spoon and was taught if I wanted something to work hard for it which I am/have no offence to anyone else at all I just know a lot of people see my car jaw dropped and then see me hop out of it and say I bet mummy and daddy bought that for him. A cop pulled me over once and asked if I got it as a 21st present I replied with "I wish they would be the best parents in the world" lol

• Like 1

That's exactly how I see it and I don't feel I need to lie about it what point does that make. Unfortunately I wasn't raised up with a silver spoon and was taught if I wanted something to work hard for it which I am/have no offence to anyone else at all I just know a lot of people see my car jaw dropped and then see me hop out of it and say I bet mummy and daddy bought that for him. A cop pulled me over once and asked if I got it as a 21st present I replied with "I wish they would be the best parents in the world" lol

You have the best parents in the world. Obviously the teach you rather than give you everything so they look good. Well done mate.

• Like 2