SAU Community

Hello friends!

I am going to shim my diff. Now I know ppl have mixed emotions on this approach.

But I was wondering where would I purchase shims for my 1998 R34 GTT diff?

Thank you for ur time.

• 3 weeks later...

The viscous LSD action occurs INSIDE the viscous cartridge. By jamming more shims into the space OUTSIDE the viscous cartridge, you are not in fact improving the LSD action of the diff. You are just creating a wear surface on surfaces that were not supposed to wear. As such, it is neither a smart thing to do, nor is it even anything more than a temporary act, seeing as the shim, cartridge and housing surfaces will all wear until the extra friction you have jammed in there has done its job.

It's job, by the way, is to create lots of very fine particles of cast iron and steel.

Some R34s come with a helical. Until recently I was almost prepared to believe that they were mythical, having never, ever seen one. Then someone posted a picture of one on here, freshly shipped from Japan.

MOST of the R34s appear to have VLSD.

No, you cannot shim a helical diff. But that doesn't matter, because as an LSD they shit all over a VLSD, or a shimmed VLSD. The quality of the drive from a helical is outstanding. I have one in my R32 and wouldn't swap it for a mech diff (for street driving). I might be willing to consider a much more aggressive mechanical diff for a circuit car.