SAU Community

R34 Gtt Nistune

sirjb

I am trying to find out whether I should be able to see my speed in ECUTalk/Nistune in a R34 GTT? Does anyone have an R34 with consult that could confirm this for me? I am trying to sort out an issue with my speed sensor.

Cheers

Yes you can. Are you using Nistune or ECUTalk? I had some trouble seeing the VSS in Nistune last year. If you're still using an old version you might have the same trouble. Same could go for ECUTalk I suppose.

In my case I have R34 engine in R32 with 33 gearbag, cable speedo and speed signal from speedo head to ECU. So completely different to an actual R34, but the end result is the same. The speed signals from the speedo to the ECU are the same.

I was getting the engine light coming on with the error of speed sensor. I then checked the speed sensor and found that it was sending out a good signal. This signal then goes to the dash, which is then sent to the ecu. For some reason the dash isn't sending out a signal. I then replaced the dash only to have the same issue rear its head. I have since put the original dash back in and the error has gone away after being cleared and has not come back, but the speedo in ECUTalk still isnt working. I haven't checked the output from the dash yet.

So to confirm you are running a wire straight from the speed sensor on the gearbox to the ECU (Pin 29?)

No. That won't work, even if you have an electronic sender (which I don't, as I have cable drive speedo). The electronic sender puts out an AC saw tooth signal. The speedo head puts out a 0-5v square wave. Not compatible in the least.

If you need a thorough test for your speedo signal out of the dash, get a hold of a portable oscilloscope and hook it up to the VSS pin on the ECU and see if you can see the signal while driving.