SAU Community

Car Cutting Out Under Acceleration (Not Misfire) Any Ideas ?

Jay_stylz

As I was driving home last night the car started doin. Some weird things :/ best way to explain it was the car went dead felt like it was about to stall couldn't accelerate at all wasn't miss firing was just going dead anyone got any idea wat it could be ? I was thinking coil packs ? Maybe afm ?

Pretty hard to tell without an accurate description... But yes it sounds like your coilpacks. If they are still OEM and done over 100k kms, with a little bit of moisture they tend to f**k out. When mine went, I had just washed my car, drove fine until I tried to give it shit, then it felt almost like boost cut, no power at all.

If it was doing it all the time, check your fuel pump/filter. Maybe you were starving it of fuel.

Yeah they are standard coil packs it was real strange tho wasn't a misfire it was like it was a complete dead spot when I I pressed the accelerator it was like the car was off no miss nothing just a dead spot

So was it just a certain point in the power band or it just wouldn't accellerate at all ever? Or would it drive normally if you babyed it, and only 'died' when you tried to rev it a bit?

Yeah they are standard coil packs it was real strange tho wasn't a misfire it was like it was a complete dead spot when I I pressed the accelerator it was like the car was off no miss nothing just a dead spot

Alternator should provide all the voltage needed while car is running. Technically you could remove a battery once the car is started and not notice anything.

Check the links at the battery terminal

Maybe cam or crank angle sensor?

My vy did the same thing, only the engine stopped completely and I had to restart the car. No noise, no splutter - just died.

Turned out to be the distribution module underneath the coilpacks, which got the signal from the crank angle.

Edited by voncina

Alternator should provide all the voltage needed while car is running. Technically you could remove a battery once the car is started and not notice anything.

There's a link for ECU there, pull that out and the engine will shut off. Happened to me on my R31 and R32. Don't know about the newer cars.

Yes you can pull the battery out, just remember where the alternator wire connects to.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that wire. Disregard me then.

There's a link for ECU there, pull that out and the engine will shut off. Happened to me on my R31 and R32. Don't know about the newer cars.

Yes you can pull the battery out, just remember where the alternator wire connects to.

Sounds the same as what mine is doing. Completely cuts out, like it cuts the ignition, could pump the throttle and nothing. Then it comes back running perfect like it never happened.

thats exactly wat its doing... i started it yesterday and it didnt miss a beat i have no idea what it could be :/ anyone have any ideas? could it be a an airflow meter ? coilpack?

In my thread someone told me to re solder the AFM. I did this, and took it for a 25 min drive and didn't miss a beat. I'm still not completely convinced that it could be the fix, but I'm happy to be proven wrong, and I hope I am!

same thing happend to mine , was the AFM. I swapped it over with a working one and has run fine ever since. I would start with the cheapest and easiest options first then move on to the harder and more expensive items.