SAU Community

Nsw Backflips On P-Plate Turbo Ban

RiseofBrutality

Why not lift the ban? When it first came into effect, even Volvo pointed out the absurdity of it. Australian road policy makers give me the impression that they are very short sighted, very bored, very reactionary individuals.

Next get rid of the 80kmh limit for L platers.

The generation of kids getting their license now don't have the same maturity as most of us did when we were that age. Yes there are some that are the exception.

Add power to the rides of P platers now who drive like complete retards is just not smart

A couple of SQ5 Mum/Dad owners of wealth have been coached into buying those cars so that their sons can drive them.

Ian Luff has had more to say too.

An adjustment needs to be made but not a radical shift away from what's already in place.

More motor insurance companies should encourage advanced driving courses with some benefits at the 'end of the tunnel'.

But maybe there's too much commonsense in that?

Next get rid of the 80kmh limit for L platers.

Already happening

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8624964/new-l-plater-news-laws-2013-australia

Log books reduced from 120hrs to 80hrs as well, as long as proper driver training completed.

But RiseOfBrutality, you're spot on mate, there should DEFINITELY be mandatory driver training for new drivers (L / P plates). I attended I think around 6 defensive driver days and 2 advanced driver training days whilst on my L's / P's (My mum made me do it, as that was a compromise for owning a high powered RWD car on my Ps) and I cannot be more thankful for the experience it gave me. Genuinely believe it made me a better driver today.

Cheers,

Shaz

Edited by Shazbanger

I do agree the 120hrs on your L's was a bit to much.

This is a good move

"A new Safer Drivers Course will be available to Learners from July and will involve both theoretical and practical coaching in driving habits. The five-hour course gives Learners 20 hours worth of credit to take off their 120-hour logbook total, a further 20 hours can be knocked off by taking 10 hours of professional driving lessons."

It's going to be a brave, brave p plater who faces the streets in a S13/R32 in the current climate of vehicle policing.

Really doubt that'll stop the majority of those who want one, and have wanted one since on their Ls, or have grown up wanting one! How many p-platers have we seen on here post a thread about their turbo r32/33/34? Sure, not a LOT but most of them probably just keep their heads down and away from attention like that. Legalising this, i think, is absolutely stupid without a cap on the power (I don't think i read that there was a cap, only the power/ratio limit).

Someone, tell me am I missing any positive points of this change (in relation to lifting the ban)? I definitely like the driver training + reduced hours bits.

Someone, tell me am I missing any positive points of this change (in relation to lifting the ban)? I definitely like the driver training + reduced hours bits.

I'm with you Chris

Other than the driver training + reduced hours I don't see this ending well

If its anything like the LAMS for bikes, any approved bike >260cc cannot be modified for extra power.

Going to be interesting how it plays out.

Prices of NA silvias and Skyrines are sure going to drop.

I'm still on my green P's, in QLD, I bought an r32 gtst. Got caught the following Christmas Day and took all my points bar 1..

Fair enough, I broke the law and payed for it.

But what pisses me off the most is my d*ckhead mates get pulled over all the time and nothing happens.. (Same thing P's and turbo + driving like idiots)

I just don't understand what this law is going to achieve? More deaths and idiots on there P's (I know not everyone is a hoon)

I was not driving like an idiot believe it or not.. Rather stay off boost with an external gate and a laggy T04E

Edited by Zrobe

Whilst I do agree that the laws should have been on a power:weight ration right from the start instead of a blanket ban I cant see this ending well.

Whilst "engine modifications" may not exactly be legal for them there is nothing stopping a young would be driver chucking in a ecu, adding some boost to their low mount and accompany that with some e85 and you now have a 17 year old in a 230rwkw sub 1200kg S-chasis - and the best part of it all is that it would cost him the same price if not cheaper than buying a sh*tty N/A CA or SR equivelant and as far as police are concerned its only got "an exhaust on it".

Can definately see this leading to more accidents not less. There is ample amount of young drivers at the moment who are driving and paying the SAME price if not more for the inferior N/A equivelant simply because they are not allowed to drive a turbo.

Drivers with no experience are going to crash anything they steer, it is proper driver training and common sense that will prevent it, not so much the car.... The quality of driving from those with the nice fresh looking Red P plates is nothing short of a shit sandwhich! It really makes me wonder how and why they passed the test.

It doesnt matter what we say or do, this will always be an issue!

Dont think it will have a positive feedback. But these days you have these young kids killing themselves in anything from mums excel to a commadore or falcon. As stated above doesnt matter what car its the ability of the driver that matters. I mean i owned an 82 gemini as my first car and still got done for bournouts one night, and an N/A TX3 got done street racing with a mate. So yes we were all young and silly mind you we only did ali G style speed limit racing but still silly.

Now i drive a nice 33 and do plenty of track days ect. This is where it needs to be done and mandatory driving skill days would be perfect. Main problem for P platers is that a $240 track day plus $50 license plus fuel is a little expensive and out of reach for your average burger flipper.

Education is the key. But guess governments have bigger issues to deal with these days.

I dont see it making THAT much of a difference.

you all keep saying they're going to kill themselves.

the power/weight ratio is there for a reason.

those who modify the cars, are those who would have gone out and bought a faster NA otherwise.

what I CAN see happening, is more people being pulled over, and getting defected, so the car has to have a proper inspection.

when I was on my ps, I had a hq statesmen, with a 308, that was slower than a v6 vn commodore.

my 2c.

• Like 1

This law only affects me picking up lowies. From being the cool dude in a sports car to an old guy in mid life crisis. May have to go back to paying for sex rather than buying maccas drive through.

• Like 2

This law only affects me picking up lowies. From being the cool dude in a sports car to an old guy in mid life crisis. May have to go back to paying for sex rather than buying maccas drive through.

ROFL!!