SAU Community

R34 Gtt Fuel Pump Upgrade

So i have a pretty much factory r34 gtt only engine mods are front mount and AVC-R boost controller and i am running 12psi without a tune.

I have recently been told by another rb25/AVC-r user that because my injector duty is only 20% and goes down to 19% at higher RPM that upgrading my fuel pump will help.

Is this true? also what intank pump would you recommend?

Cheers.

Whoever was telling you your injector duty is only 20% .......run away from the as fast as you can. The factory RB25 fuel maps have over 100% duty cycle in them at the top end.

Yes....I know you can't actually go over 100% duty cycle. But the maps ask for it.

What he said.... run RUN RUUUUNNNN!!!!

If your planning to push more power then upgrading the fuel pump is a good start. Personally I like the Deachwerks drop in pumps. I have one in my neo stagea and it dropped straight in. Heaps of flow, very quiet and has proven to be very reliable. Plus DW do alot of they're own R&D.

My neo responded very well to basic exhaust mods and a retune (nistune). Much much more midrange, better fuel economy and a bit more power up top. But my first mod was the fuel pump... other than FBO or oil supply, insufficient fuel supply is the next biggest engine killer.

Cheers

J

• 10 years later...
On 8/24/2013 at 6:24 PM, Ben C34 said:

Don't get a new pump unless you actually need one. ......

I had a mechanic recommending one for when your car is modded (I'm guessing because you are making an already worn fuel pump work harder, preventive maintainence), I was curious if your position has changed on this matter?

If you do mods that will draw more fuel, and check the fuel pressure at full load afterwards, and the pressure is still fine, then there is no (urgent) need to upgrade the fuel pump.

Doing things "just 'coz" with no evidence or proven need is unscientific.

• Like 1

Playing devil's advocate, upping the fuel pump severely while using stock gear can actually raise the fuel pressure because it overpowers the reg.

The thing is, to really confirm this, you install a FPR gauge, and usually that also comes with a regulator.... so nobody knows whether this actually is overpowering the stock regulator or not.

Suppose that scenario is not a stock car tho.

• Like 1

I dunno. My fuel pressure gauge is a handheld WIKA 6bar 4" dial with a couple of lengths of fuel hose and a T piece. I just install it when I need to know. On any car where I need to know.

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I dunno. My fuel pressure gauge is a handheld WIKA 6bar 4" dial with a couple of lengths of fuel hose and a T piece. I just install it when I need to know. On any car where I need to know.

Like myself, you know you work in industry when your car is littered with Swagelok and Wika lol.