SAU Community

Nissan V35 350Gt - Opinions/advice

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying said car above.

Currently driving an Xr6 and want something that handles better and not everyone is driving.

Friend told me to post any questions here as i don't know anyone who owns or has owned one of them.

Just have a few questions for the ones of you that do own them or have owned them.

Where is the best place to purchase one? Import directly? Would anyone trust Carsales?

How are they on fuel consumption?

How much are service costs?

How pricey and available are the parts for it?

Hows insurance (26 year old full licensed driver never had an accident)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying said car above.

Currently driving an Xr6 and want something that handles better and not everyone is driving.

Friend told me to post any questions here as i don't know anyone who owns or has owned one of them.

Just have a few questions for the ones of you that do own them or have owned them.

Where is the best place to purchase one? Import directly? Would anyone trust Carsales? I imported mine, but the market is flooded with them at the moment. so carsales or on the forum here

How are they on fuel consumption? depends on how you drive, at the moment i'm doing 9L/100km

How pricey and available are the parts for it? alot of the engine/driveline is the same as the 350Z, body parts and other items i am unsure.

Hows insurance (26 year old full licensed driver never had an accident)? for me ( 26yo , no accident, 2 speeding fines) $1,100 from Justcars

Thanks in advance.

to be honest, i've had my V35 for 3.5 years, and have done just under 17,000km's in that time. hasnt broken down or needed anything major in the way of parts. the other members here will give you a better idea than what i have here.

I'm in the same boat rawpower, shopping for one! Best advice I can offer now is to be very skeptical of v35's with very low kms. Many will have had the odometer wound back between the time its de-registered in Japan, and then complianced here is AU. I recommend asking sellers for all the import paperwork to verify this. This should also give you an indication of it's condition prior to de-reg, and whether it was written off or badly damaged in Japan.

Also, it's worth taking it to a decent mechanic who knows the cars to have it looked over before putting money down.

Essentially, just take the usual precautions you would when buying a used car, but with the extra step of checking the legitimacy of the odometer reading and it's previous life in Japan.

Yep as above, they are awesome cars. For their power level quite fuel efficient, for their handling ability are quite comfortable, and I still have people come up to me and ask i have just bought the thing brand new - despite the fact that mine is 10 years old and has done nearly 130,000km! But honestly if cared for properly the engines last forever. And by 130,000km like mine most people will have changed the various bushes that go, the springs, the shocks, the swaybars, the brake rotors, etc etc .... so often they are in many ways in much nearer to new condition.

One thing that is not immediately apparent is that if you want to import one, you HAVE to have the fob price cash sitting there to pay immediately. Which means you need up to $10k in the bank ready to wire to the Jp seller. Obviously this means you can't get a personal nor car loan, as there is no security for them to base the loan in until the car gets here, is complianced and registered. But also noteworthy is that most cars in yards here were bought many months ago when the exchange rate was much better - so you would expect to get a better price buying locally than even importing. Some yards are just insane rip-offs though.

And yes, as said any V35 with under 100k on the clock is VERY, VERY rare, and should be checked thoroughly.

And a tip if you are like me (and most others on here) that can't help themselves but modify - before considering buying a stock car, have a look at tastefully modded ones - often the mods don't add a huge price premium, and you can save yourself shitloads by buying one already modded and nicely set up. For example I have a black '03 coupe and have spent more than $10k on bits and pieces, yet if I were to put it on the market now I would only ask about $20k. Compare that to buying a stocker from a yard from $16-$20k, and THEN having to spend $10k to put all the toys I have in mine, then it is a no-brainer. FYI if someone were to offer me $20k I would take it, as I am considering a change :whistling:

Thanks for all the insights!

I was looking at the later models and I'm geussing the V36 is the newer model.

Is it a big improvement over the V35??

Friend was also telling me that they're basically the Infifini Infiniti G37 if so why the huge price difference?

The Infiniti G37 'is' a V36 Skyline, just with everything setup for the Australian market, ie. Australian Sat Nav, all manuals and functions in English, and a full Australian warranty.. for that you pay the premium!

The V36 model started in 2007. I believe the V37 is due for release next year..

However, before Infiniti started here, if you imported a V36 under 12 months old with low KM, you would be looking at around $50k+

If you are happy with a 2007ish V36 370GT coupe with 50,000+km, you can probably import one for under $30k plus ORC (rego, stamp duty, insurance)

Edited by sonicii

Yes the V36 is a huge leap in quality, performance and style over the V35 imho.

The reason for the price difference is that we get royally screwed here in Aus on both import and luxury tax. Another example is the R35GTR - a Premium is around US$100k in USA, or 8.75M Yen in Japan - yet is $170k here.

Where is the best place to purchase one? Import directly? Would anyone trust Carsales?

How are they on fuel consumption?

How pricey and available are the parts for it?

Hows insurance (26 year old full licensed driver never had an accident)?

Thanks in advance.

Purchasing a V35: If i were to buy one again, i'd definitely import it. As Andrew says above it would be extremely rare to find a genuine low km V35 in the country.

Fuel consumption: i found while owning one was quite good. Whilst i used to drive quite spirited i still managed to get around 500km to the tank.

Servicing cost: whatever the cost of oils and filters. I always serviced it myself.

Parts: cost of parts is what you'd expect for an import. in saying that, parts are never cheap.

Insurance: my insurance was really expensive, 21 yr old with loss of licence. cost me $2200 per year with RACQ which was the cheapest quote i got between a whole bunch of companies.

ADVICE: if you are in the market to buy a V35 i'd definitely try to source a 2006-2007 model which has the upgraded CD009 gearbox. Reason being, the CD001 (2003-2005) is well known for having 3rd & 5th synchro issues after travelling around 80,000km (at least that's when mine shit itself) and have the projector beam headlights with a couple of other goodies.

I unfortunately sold my coupe a few months ago but i tell you what man i was definitely not happy to sell it. It's the type of car that you can easily fall in love with. In my work i drive different cars all the time so they don't really excite me - but owning a V35 is definitely something i'd consider doing again. The thing i love most about my old car is that it was unique, powerful (for a N/A) and a real head turner.

I'd get compliments all the time, it was great.

Reliability was great, apart from 3rd and 5th gear shitting themselves i had not 1 drama with the car in the little over a year of owning it. The VQ35 is an awesome motor and i have seen the Americans do over 200,000 miles in them which is amazing.

Goodluck with your purchase.

P.S Don't put Infiniti badges on it when you buy one..

Definitely get a v35

I bought one, with the intention of selling it in a couple years. Now, I'm going to keep it as I've fallen inlove with it (was a car I wanted when I was in highschool), and going to keep this as my second car in the future.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

Think it be worth waiting it out for the V36 370GT to go down further in price and picking one of those up over the v35?

Most people have told me theres is a big improvement between the two models.

The Infiniti G37 'is' a V36 Skyline, just with everything setup for the Australian market, ie. Australian Sat Nav, all manuals and functions in English, and a full Australian warranty.. for that you pay the premium!

The V36 model started in 2007. I believe the V37 is due for release next year..

However, before Infiniti started here, if you imported a V36 under 12 months old with low KM, you would be looking at around $50k+

If you are happy with a 2007ish V36 370GT coupe with 50,000+km, you can probably import one for under $30k plus ORC (rego, stamp duty, insurance)

Greg,

I'd seriously doubt anyone is going to get remotely close to getting a V36 370 coupe on the road plus incidentals like insurance for under $30K....?

Maybe a base model grade 3.5 where the last 5 owners staged pit bull fights in the cabin.....otherwise.....

I appreciate not everyone is into the top of the line SP model, but here is what I advised a mate the other day, who wanted to contact an importer;

Assumption 1 - Grade 4.5 370GT SP coupe, max 60K klms

Assumption 2 - FOB price of 1.7M Yen FOB

Assumption 3 - Buy rate over the counter with CBA or NAB of 81.5 Yen, plus fees (taken from website right now)

Purchase price AUD conversion $ 20,928.90

Duty At 5% of purchase cost $ 1,046.44

Freight port charges, quarantine, steam clean, cartage $ 3,000.00

GST 10% of purchase, GST & freight cost $ 2,497.53

Compliance including new tyres & GST $ 2,900.00

Broker fee market rate $ 1,100.00

RWC costs Incidentals, temp rego, towing costs, etc $ 800.00

rego and RWC $ 1,900.00

insurance 30+ rating 1 RACV $ 900.00

TOTAL $ 35,072.87

now - I might get flamed for this - but I felt these were reasonable costs - and if nothing else, assumptions that should be tested. so - assuming someone wants a Grade 4.5 370GT SP - I reckon to import would cost around the $35K on road - and frankly there are quite a few here already for that price.

I dont see many people rushing to Japan to source one now that the AUD has fallen almost 20% against the yen in 3 months. I reckon what is here now is pretty much all we'll see for a while - so whilst the market for 350GT is FLOODED, I think the market for 370GT may remain a bit more robust?

Edited by foibles

here is an example.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/stock/show_car.php?id=1275

$23,300 plus ORC (tyres, rego, stamp duty, insurance). Not an SP, but still in 4.5/A condition with 40,000km.

That figure was at an exchange rate of about 90 yen - $1. it's now closer to 86 yen. But even so, you should be able to come out on the good side of $30k

Although I agree, an SP is probably going to set you back about another 4-5K

Edited by sonicii

here is an example.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/stock/show_car.php?id=1275

$23,300 plus ORC (tyres, rego, stamp duty, insurance). Not an SP, but still in 4.5/A condition with 40,000km.

That figure was at an exchange rate of about 90 yen - $1. it's now closer to 86 yen. But even so, you should be able to come out on the good side of $30kbrakes

Although I agree, an SP is probably going to set you back about another 4-5K

HI Greg,

Interesting....I hadn't realised that the base model (GT) was that cheap at auction. However, drawing on my own experience with the V35, the anniversary model (full leather) preserves better resale value than the premium model (half leather) which does again over the base model (all other things being equal). If I were wanting such a car, I'd probably be wanting the one with both the leather (for a car of this price) and the bigger brakes (as most Skyline owners don't own them for church-bound sunday driving) - which unfortunately means the SP model.

As for exchange rate...this is a big risk for punters...who are likely to get stung. Whilst the rate we see on TV (interchange / cross rate) is just over 86, the actual rate you get when you go and pay via TT over the counter (or over internet banking) is closer to 81/82 - as just verified on CBA and Westpac websites. Throw in fees as well.

And for anyone who has had the joy of having to source replacement tyres for the 19" wheels for the SP or the S models (is it S with the bigger wheels?) - they could probably write a whole thread just about that experience alone!

So when I put 1.35M Yen FOB into a calculation as at today's interest rates, I get $30,040 - or $27250 before rego / RWC / insurance. Given that you could haggle a local seller well below that price now - and see the car in the flesh - and pick it up straight away - not wait 8 weeks and hope something does not go wrong, I'm definitely of the view that the local option is a much better one...at least for now.

Edited by foibles

If you are getting one get one without the Nav option.

Then ring up Chris Rogers and get him to sort the Nav part of it for you

And honestly, paying for the Bose system is shit IMO

Hi Colin,

Interesting feedback. I really know nothing of ICE (etc) - can you advise which models have the BOSE - is it only SP? Also, would you recommend fitting an aftermarket unit instead? If so - what sort and cost are we talking about?

Bose is an option available to all models, and the SP does not come with it standard (but is extremely common in the SP). Replacing the headunit is a no-no, as the a/c controls are built into the stock unit. It is theoretically possible, but would be a MASSIVE custom job.

HI Greg,

As for exchange rate...this is a big risk for punters...who are likely to get stung. Whilst the rate we see on TV (interchange / cross rate) is just over 86, the actual rate you get when you go and pay via TT over the counter (or over internet banking) is closer to 81/82 - as just verified on CBA and Westpac websites. Throw in fees as well.

This is one point were I am not sure how prestige motorsport worked out the final cost. eg. Did they use all 'real world' figures to determine the $ landed and complied figure on their website and then just mention the base exchange rate figure at the time for comparison, or did they do a calculation using the base exchange rate, meaning you could never actually get the car for their quoted figure (minus ORC)..?

Edited by sonicii

They always use the market rate, not the real rate. That said, if you shop around you can always get close to market rate - American Express outlets give the best rates in my experience - you can normally get just 1-2c lower than market for a wire transfer or bank cheque.

Hi Colin,

Interesting feedback. I really know nothing of ICE (etc) - can you advise which models have the BOSE - is it only SP? Also, would you recommend fitting an aftermarket unit instead? If so - what sort and cost are we talking about?

Bose is an option for all models as Andrew said. Nav was an option too. Most SP would have BOSE and NAV but it is possible to find some without Nav or Bose or without both.

Head unit, no one in Australia can by pass that at the moment. So far I only know that they can install aftermarket GPS on non-nav models (cheaper) but Chris said he can install GPS for Nav cars for over $2k (?) (for the module) + installation fee now. Should PM him for a proper price.

I personally think the head unit is crap, sends way too much dirty signals out. Had to install Audison Bit Ten processor with my aftermarket speakers and amps just to get rid of it. Quite disappointed with the factory setup.