SAU Community

Turbo Manifold Options

My mistake gents
Not 2in ID, yes the od is actually 1.9in hence the confusion
Weld els measure differently than regular pipe
Medium runner manifolds (typical manifolds you see like 6boost/full race etc) are 1 1/4" weld els but have an inside diameter of 1.44in (od 1.66in)

Mine was built with "large runners" 1 1/2" weld els
Which have an inside diameter of 1.66in (od 1.9in)
Sorry for the confusion there. But this thing is just massive next to the full race we have sitting around its so much tighter together with the larger runners.

It's also not thinwall like someone said
This is stainless steel 304 schedule 10 pipe

It's like the 6boost but it's stainless not mild steel and larger runners

Edited by R32N00B

what i meant to say is pipe measures differently than tubing.... tubing is measured OD where pipe is measured ID.....

1.25" pipe has a 1.25" ID (on schedule 80 pipe) the OD stays 1.66" so schedule 40 pipe will have a larger ID and schedule 10 even larger. Thats why my 1.5" pipe has an ID of 1.66".... it only has an ID od 1.5" on schedule 80 pipe....

hope this makes sense

Makes sense. It was clear that it is huge, as it takes up all the room between the engine and, well, everything else on that side of the bay!

I just said it looked like thinwall because the welds are more like the welds you see on tube. But given that you have used Sch10 pipe, which has only a 2.77mm wall thickness, that explains the welds. Not as thin as tube, but pretty thin for pipe, hence the welds end up looking wide and flat.

ya sch 10 is .109" (sorry im going imperial on you lol its what im used to here in the states)

schedule 10 pipe is PLENTY thick for manifold. as long as its built and welded/backpurged correctly it's the optimum thickness. Any thicker is a waste and will weigh quite a bit more, and also will have smaller diameter ID. At least this is my fabricators point of view. He hasnt had one crack yet and they're out getting all out hammered on a daily basis.

Edited by R32N00B

also as a note on the welds my guy likes to taper the "butts" of the pipe all the way to the ID. Typically they come tapered halfway in but he likes to taper it the entire way, that coupled with full backpurging allows for deep/full penetration.

How can it be off topic, people need to realise the stock manifold isn't the restriction it's made out to be. I must admit I was surprised with this result.

I did the recent fab work on it, the car is still restricted by a hollow 3 inch cat in the 3.5 inch exhaust, return flow cooler, and the Z32 afm still holding back the 4 inch intake. There would be much more in it if the gearbox could take it... Not too laggy either imo.

post-63525-0-67446700-1379808705_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-30525400-1379808715_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-67480400-1379808779_thumb.jpg

• Like 1