SAU Community

Thrust Bearing Issue!

Ben r33 s2

Hey so my 33 is making noise when in neutral when I push my foot on the clutch the noise goes away I have been told that this is the thrust bearing! I was wondering if anyone knows a good mechanic in Adelaide who is not to pricey and will replace it going to do my clutch at the same time!

If it goes away when you're in Neutral and your foot is OFF the clutch - its the thrust bearing.

If it goes away when you're in Neutral and your foot is ON the clutch - it's the input shaft bearing. This often goes with the cluster shaft bearing. You may also be getting a whine whilst driving which goes away in 4th gear as well in that situation - as that's the only time there's no pressure on the cluster shaft.

My gearbox has both of these symptoms - and has done for about 5 years - steadily getting worse. I'm at the point where I want to get the gearbox professionally pulled down and assessed for repair or replacement - cos I'm not comfortable with it - especially how loud it gets after a long road trip (Adelaide -> Melbourne, for instance)

My input shaft bearing is doing it, does get pretty annoying but not too much to worry about from what ive been told. I had the outer bearing changed and didnt fix it, was told the centre bearing is pretty expensive to change so just to wait and rebuild when I need or buy another box.

Acutally the input shaft bearing is around $170 and not something you can really do yourself without proper tools. My guess is the thrust bearing, if its a slight whirring noise, pretty normal on skylines, my last thrust bearing/clutch did it, ive since had the gearbox out and completely apart chasing a seperate problem and was told it was all fine. Id almost garuntee that my new thrust bearing will do it as well once its in, no real biggie

• Like 1