SAU Community

Mugabetown - Whoretownin' At It's Worst.

t5iv

It is cheap, they can be had for 3 parts of f**k all now.

Errr.. Not so much. Maintenance on them isn't cheap at all. You're still facing $10-15k for a 15 year old car that requires a fair amount of servicing and upkeep. That's similar pricing to 33 GTRs, so not cheap.

Errr.. Not so much. Maintenance on them isn't cheap at all. You're still facing $10-15k for a 15 year old car that requires a fair amount of servicing and upkeep. That's similar pricing to 33 GTRs, so not cheap.

No matter how you slice it 10k - 15k is a cheap car. Out of interest maintenance wise, what is expensive about them?

All this talk about crank trigger.......and I too know about them benefits thanks to Bunta.

Thinking I now need to invest into one.....for reliability's sake

All this talk about crank trigger.......and I too know about them benefits thanks to Bunta.

Thinking I now need to invest into one.....for reliability's sake

You are in the position that few of us are though, where everything is new and there is not much movement there, really you should be ok for a while, but if you do want one hit me up and I can get one built for you!

No matter how you slice it 10k - 15k is a cheap car. Out of interest maintenance wise, what is expensive about them?

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2014/03/what-does-its-too-expensive-mean.html Have a read of that and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Gear box is stupid expensive, however that's once every 100k km - hopefully. Plugs are all iridiums (could be platinums now that I think about it), coil packs are about 20% dearer than standard skylines, parts are rarer hence more dorras (window motors, fuel cap release motor, seat motors etc), sway bars are about $350 + shipping from the states because they're difficult to source here, exhausts are more expensive when you include stupid frieght rates. Overall, it all adds up for less performance.

You are in the position that few of us are though, where everything is new and there is not much movement there, really you should be ok for a while, but if you do want one hit me up and I can get one built for you!

3507yu7037_zpsb7218c5e.gif

interesting......

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2014/03/what-does-its-too-expensive-mean.html Have a read of that and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Gear box is stupid expensive, however that's once every 100k km - hopefully. Plugs are all iridiums (could be platinums now that I think about it), coil packs are about 20% dearer than standard skylines, parts are rarer hence more dorras (window motors, fuel cap release motor, seat motors etc), sway bars are about $350 + shipping from the states because they're difficult to source here, exhausts are more expensive when you include stupid frieght rates. Overall, it all adds up for less performance.

You would also change plugs a lot less, be kinder on your oil (not needing to cool turbos down) coilpacks should last due to less heat ect ect. The only one I can see is the extra electrics crapping out but that should be a long way off, I was speaking to Grahame the silver fox and he was saying his costs him fuark all.

3507yu7037_zpsb7218c5e.gif

interesting......

Ya Rly!

You would also change plugs a lot less, be kinder on your oil (not needing to cool turbos down) coilpacks should last due to less heat ect ect. The only one I can see is the extra electrics crapping out but that should be a long way off, I was speaking to Grahame the silver fox and he was saying his costs him fuark all.

Ya Rly!

Mine's done about 120k km, which is when everything starts f**king out. Hence my level of frustration right now. Oil is still changed every 5k km. Plugs every 50km, which is probably next year. Coil packs are on their way out. Graham has also done significantly less ks than mine has. I think he's sitting at 70k-ish from memory.

Oh, and the bushes are starting to f**k out and need to get them done. and diff feels like it's on the go - not sure though.

All of this whilst saving like a flamin mongrel for a major investment which is due to be finalised in Sept - if all goes to plan. :rant:

Mine's done about 120k km, which is when everything starts f**king out. Hence my level of frustration right now. Oil is still changed every 5k km. Plugs every 50km, which is probably next year. Coil packs are on their way out. Graham has also done significantly less ks than mine has. I think he's sitting at 70k-ish from memory.

Every car shits its pants around then, the little Mazda is about to start costing me money too damn it! But in June it will no longer be my problem so thats ok.

Every car shits its pants around then, the little Mazda is about to start costing me money too damn it! But in June it will no longer be my problem so thats ok.

The frustration is amplified when the performance isn't there yet the parts cost more. It's a fun position to be in.

Oh well, you will know for next time!

wasn't aware that most of the stuff had to come from the states - which is what bugs me the most. So in short, it is not cheap. A $15k car that costs a mint to run isn't cheap.

wasn't aware that most of the stuff had to come from the states - which is what bugs me the most. So in short, it is not cheap. A $15k car that costs a mint to run isn't cheap.

I think the key difference here is your definition of a mint and my definition of a mint is quite different, everything you mention is, to my mind, typical of every car. However I must also say that I don't consider my car to cost a fortune to run either, even when I did drive it daily.

In short I guess I am saying "Damn son, Yo a whinger!" :P

I think the key difference here is your definition of a mint and my definition of a mint is quite different, everything you mention is, to my mind, typical of every car. However I must also say that I don't consider my car to cost a fortune to run either, even when I did drive it daily.

In short I guess I am saying "Damn son, Yo a whinger!" :P

Which is exactly what the link to Seth godins blog described.

Also, I'm going to be in a position in 6 months time when all my assets will be scrutinised, so I'm a little concerned.