SAU Community

S3RK

Hi guys,

Lately (in the past month), my car has been having a bit of struggles starting, at first it was struggling to kick over, I immediately thought my battery, which I replaced with a mates used one, temporarily fixing the problem, only to be coming back slowly. Last week I was out, I tried to start the car and it was turning over VERY slowly, waited literally 3-4 seconds, tried again, and started, wtf?
Not only that, my battery voltage reading is 14.2v when running (alternator is charging), usually dropping down to 9.0v when cranking over (as normal).

Also I believe my A/C compressor is having problems, weird whistling sound when it does start and tones down fairly quickly. Also hear a similar sound when I turn the A/C on.

Tonight, prior to going out, the car started, with a LITTLE bit of struggle. Then when I tried to start it later on, NOTHING, no crank, no clicking, nothing at all. I had to clutch start it.
When I got home I started diagnosing, I get reds, reading solid 12.0v on the meter, strangely enough though, only drops down to 11.2v when I go to crank it, the cat sensor light comes on, but that's also normal. Checked a few fuses, they seemed fine. Tried jump starting it, still gives me nothing. Jacked up the front end, it's on stands now, only had a very brief look-around at the starter motor, there doesn't appear to be any moisture, and all cables are plugged in.

Any thoughts?
I strongly believe it is something electronic, as I'd get SOME response from the starter if it was effd. Relay? Wiring? Should I start taking apart the dash and shit? Could the starter be shorted out somehow? Dust build-up? I don't know. :/

Really appreciate the help, if you have ANY information at all, please reply!

Not to sure if there the same, i can have a look at work on the Nissan catalog.
Try depressing the clutch pedal when you start your car (make sure your in neutral) and the load off the crankshaft will help start the car faster. Almost all new cars use this feature, you cant start the car without the clutch pedal fully depressed.
That should let you know if your starter is weak

Not to sure if there the same, i can have a look at work on the Nissan catalog.

Try depressing the clutch pedal when you start your car (make sure your in neutral) and the load off the crankshaft will help start the car faster. Almost all new cars use this feature, you cant start the car without the clutch pedal fully depressed.

That should let you know if your starter is weak

Will give it a go, I tried starting it again yesterday and it was really struggling to kick over and very slow.

Could also be spark plugs, never know. But from what you described yes it sounds like starter motor.

Hmm, but why would spark plugs cause a really slow crank?

Just purchased a reconditioned starter off eBay, delivered next week. We shall see how I go.

Spark plugs COULD cause rough starting, because if they are old/crappy then think about it, what starts the car? The spark plugs (ok, along with other parts but bear with me) - they give the ignition. When mine were crapped out, it sounded like my car was dying, it would crank slowly/roughly/coughing and then MAYBE start...after a few goes. crapped out spark plugs = bad spark = slow/crappy crank.

My starter motor started squealing to high heaven a few years ago. When I took it apart it was chock full of clutch dust (probably when the old clutch couldn't handle the turbo) gave it a clean up and lubricated and good as new.

It is a prick to get to but it's only 2 bolts to remove and I'd suggest taking it off for piece of mind, could be alot of dust not allowing the cog to spin fast enough.

I tested mine by hooking the starter up to a 12v battery on my bench so I could watch the cog engage up and down the shaft smoothly and check it spins freely.

The only thing that interesting is the lack of cranking or clicking... any wires from ignition or ecu that you think might be loose?

This should help with the starter motor :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/333872-fixing-starter-motor-squeal/?hl=%2Bstarter+%2Bmotor#entry6445074

My starter motor started squealing to high heaven a few years ago. When I took it apart it was chock full of clutch dust (probably when the old clutch couldn't handle the turbo) gave it a clean up and lubricated and good as new.

It is a prick to get to but it's only 2 bolts to remove and I'd suggest taking it off for piece of mind, could be alot of dust not allowing the cog to spin fast enough.

I tested mine by hooking the starter up to a 12v battery on my bench so I could watch the cog engage up and down the shaft smoothly and check it spins freely.

The only thing that interesting is the lack of cranking or clicking... any wires from ignition or ecu that you think might be loose?

This should help with the starter motor :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/333872-fixing-starter-motor-squeal/?hl=%2Bstarter+%2Bmotor#entry6445074

I see, I'll give it a go tonight, what should I use to lubricate it?

could be brushes are worn. split the starter motor apart, and check make sure brushes have good contact/tension to armature, and while your there give the armature a good clean using very fine sand paper

make sure u dont lose ball bearing when taking starter motor apart :P

could be brushes are worn. split the starter motor apart, and check make sure brushes have good contact/tension to armature, and while your there give the armature a good clean using very fine sand paper

make sure u dont lose ball bearing when taking starter motor apart :P

Almost got it all apart, where should the ball bearing be? Because when I took out the core, the ball bearing was stuck to the inner side wall :/

I will post results when it's all back in :D

So I done as posted above, except I couldn't open up the solenoid to release the fork and actually open the entire thing up, instead I WD40'd the shit out of everything and blew it out with air, thick black gunk was coming out (WD40 infused clutch dust). Lightly sanded the commutator fins with 1500grit as they were fairly black (no contact = no good), so they were nice and gold. I also noticed one of those fins was half missing/damaged, but there's 30 odd of the them so it should be fine.
Stuck it all back in, and started like brand new. A very strong kick with no whistling sounds, or any odd sounds for that matter.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help on this one :)