SAU Community

Rb20Det Turbo's

oaffypops

I know guys, this topics been done to death 3 times over, but I can't seem to decide on a turbo that meets my needs. Chasing 220 ish rwkw but I need advice with the choice of turbo as I've got the fuel system, cam gears and nistune already done. Any recommendations? I was thinking a TD06-20g or a HKS2530 but I can't find a 2530. Any advice would be welcome, dyno sheets would be a plus. Cheers in advance. *Flame-suit on!

Before this thread gets locked, I will repeat the first good advice, which was the Hypergear highflow / SS1 choices. Then I will repeat the search advice, because a good search would have found the hypergear thread.

Edited by GTSBoy

You take standard turbo off, send it off get it high flowed and it bolts straight back in and looks 100% standard.

stao can machine the factory compressor cover to bolt onto the ss1 and weld up the rear housing adapter to look stock

The Minister of RB20dom Roy has been researching this stuff for ages and there are lots of threads here to read through .

I don't think there is a "perfect fit" , to owners taste not spanner stuff , for an RB20 because everyone's expectations are different . Half the hassle is getting a different turbo in and running and then liking/living with the results .

Only you can know what power curve suits you and simply setting a number isn't much of a guide to your likes . 220 wheel wasps should be easy peasy for an RB20 but the $64 question is how much headroom do you expect beyond that . If you don't need any then sure a HKS bolt on like a 2530/2535/GTRS should get you there easily enough . The GTRS would go a bit further too .

The real questions to ask yourself are 1) budget 2) how standard it has to look 3) how far you're going with this engine/car 4) best power curve to suit YOUR driving style .

Physically the hardest part to get right is the turbine housing because it has to suit the turbine/the manifold/the dump pipe/boosting characteristics . The HKS turbine housing does a reasonable job of all these things in that power range but they aren't often cheap and easy to get . Sometimes the go is to buy someone's trashed turbo cheaply and use its housings if they are undamaged .

The best thing to do is go for a run in other peoples GTSTs and see what drive characteristics you like best .

A .

I've just slapped an HKS 2530 on my rb20. It is a little laggy, doesn't reach full boost till 4k. A better flowing manifold and a re-tune of the Nistune might help, but it pulls nicely to 8,300rpm. For what I paid for a 2nd hand one, I could have just gone for a hypergear highflow, maybe that's the better option..