SAU Community

Gauges Mounted In Dash Illegal?

courtoR33

Hey guys does anyone know whether mounting gauges in the dash in front of passenger is legal or not I have searched everywhere and nothing explains it. There is lots about on the dash and side pillar but not in the dash itself? Help please!!!!!

I have mounted 4 apexi ones in the dash where some cars have front passenger airbag. My concern is a cop will tell me that its illegal because the passenger could hit them in a crash but I can't find any info

I have mounted 4 apexi ones in the dash where some cars have front passenger airbag. My concern is a cop will tell me that its illegal because the passenger could hit them in a crash but I can't find any info

Thats a tricky one to work around I think cause as you said thats more then likely what they'll go you on.

Pretty keen to know the exact rules on these as well. I know the guage pillar that sits above dash is definitely illegal in QLD.

But whether the 3 gauge pod that sits on top, I'm not sure but have seen a lot of other cars with these.

When I bought my 32 gtst my boost gauge was in the glovebox haha...

Edited by ZRBE

Mechanical gauges inside the car are a no no. Electric gauges only (unless something has changed).

Mounting - can't obscure vision, can't be more forward than the front most part of your dash (hence no A-Pillar placement unless factory like the JDM S15)

The new ADR's are a pain in the ass, trying to find the exact ones for you.

• Like 1

Mechanical gauges inside the car are a no no. Electric gauges only (unless something has changed).

Mounting - can't obscure vision, can't be more forward than the front most part of your dash (hence no A-Pillar placement unless factory like the JDM S15)

The new ADR's are a pain in the ass, trying to find the exact ones for you.

Okay, great.

So, ie. boost guage with vacuum line (mechanical?) - Illegal.

Oil temp (electric?) Legal?

Sorry.

• Like 1

Okay, great.

So, ie. boost guage with vacuum line (mechanical?) - Illegal.

Oil temp (electric?) Legal?

Sorry.

That's what I've heard as well. Apparently in a crash hot oil can potentially make it's way into the cabin via the hose and be a hazard?

That's what I've heard as well. Apparently in a crash hot oil can potentially make it's way into the cabin via the hose and be a hazard?

Never herd of that.. But my car is going to be so overkill when it comes to heat wrap & the material I use for all my engine bay hoses lol

Well then that'd make my boost gauge illeagal seeing as it has a air tube going from back of gauge to the engine bay. Would it? I mean it's only a air tube right? No fluids?

It's just a vac line off the manifold so no fluids.

Downloaded this PDF from QLD Transport a while back.

Thank you Jiffo. Printed.. so its a field of vision thing. I would be willing to take that to court. If I attach my GPS Unit that is way worse than A-Piller gauges...

• Like 1