SAU Community

Buying R32 Gtr, Oil On Motor Issues

Hey guys, New to the forum.

Im in the process of buying an r32 gtr and sent out RACV to give the one im keen on a checkover and reported back all sorts of issues.

- Oil leak on front, rear upper engine

- Gearbox oil leak

- Clutch fluid contaminated/ low

- Brake fluid contaminated

- steering rack fluid leak

- Brake hoses perishing/ageing

Do you think these are all due to fair wear and tear, constant abuse or tell tale signs of something bigger?

Seller has stated that he has not done a rebuild of the motor so if I do go ahead with the purchase, is that what im in for?

Thanks for your input and recommendations

for a 32 gtr that is all pretty standard stuff and hardly an issue and all remedied by a major service. Getting a compression test (and leakdown) will be your best indicator of a sound car. They are a tough motor so can stand the test of time if nothing to evil has been done to them.

Nonetheless, also look up (search in the forum) the oil pump issues on the GTR motor and in particular the short nose crank of the R32 GTR.

Otherwise, how does it drive? Does the gearbox feel overly tight to shift or grind?

Also if it is on its stock turbo's then changing them ($$$) is a good idea as they are prone to failure at that age too, especially if spirited driving is on the menu (turbo failure often requires a full turbo and motor rebuild = $$$$$$)

Edited by jjman

for a 32 gtr that is all pretty standard stuff and hardly an issue and all remedied by a major service. Getting a compression test (and leakdown) will be your best indicator of a sound car. They are a tough motor so can stand the test of time if nothing to evil has been done to them.

Nonetheless, also look up (search in the forum) the oil pump issues on the GTR motor and in particular the short nose crank of the R32 GTR.

Otherwise, how does it drive? Does the gearbox feel overly tight to shift or grind?

Also if it is on its stock turbo's then changing them ($$$) is a good idea as they are prone to failure at that age too, especially if spirited driving is on the menu (turbo failure often requires a full turbo and motor rebuild = $$$$$$)

Thanks for your reply.

The turbos have been changed to r34 gtr turbos and have seen 40k kms.

When we went for a drive in it it felt smooth as all hell except my mate said that 2nd And 3rd synchros are out and need replacing. Also needs New bushes for suspension.

If it is still running a standard motor you will be up for a rebuild at some stage (if its this year or next who knows) they are a 20 year old car that have had nothing but a thrashing. In my honest opinion either buy one with full reciepts for a rebuild OR buy one with a blown engine and get it done yourself.

Oil issues are the achillies heel for the R32 and i would be quite careful around it.

As said above make sure you will have cash aside if you do get one because if it is a standard motor it WILL break.

Just my two cents from experience.

If it is still running a standard motor you will be up for a rebuild at some stage (if its this year or next who knows) they are a 20 year old car that have had nothing but a thrashing. In my honest opinion either buy one with full reciepts for a rebuild OR buy one with a blown engine and get it done yourself.

Oil issues are the achillies heel for the R32 and i would be quite careful around it.

As said above make sure you will have cash aside if you do get one because if it is a standard motor it WILL break.

Just my two cents from experience.

On average what would a full rebuild cost?

Mine broke $20k and i stopped adding up reciepts. but i had to do quite a bit because mine broke pretty hard. expect to spend 6-10k refreshing the engine (if you pay a workshop to do it all). It all depends on what kind of power you want/how strong you want it to be etc....

i would honestly look for one with a blown engine for like 8-9k and sink another 10k into it and you will be laughing.

Edit: An old saying my mate told me before i got mine. "If you can't afford two, don't buy one"

and its sooooo true.

Edited by Anfanee

all sounds pretty normal for a 20+yr old car.

rubber seals get hard and start to leak.

coming from the top of the engine, should only be cam cover seals.

the gearboxs wear 2/3/4 synchros, so thats normal.

brake and clutch fluid are easy ones.

and the steer rack leaking, how bad?

the engines are pretty tough.

if not taking it to yhe track, the short nose crack isnt that bad.

mine withheld 4yrs of spirited driving.

ended up failing due to oil usage and me not checking the the level.

if that happens, save your pennys, and throw in an r34 motor.

or, if going for big power, rebuild.

either way, youll end up loving the car.

dont know a gtr owner who hasnt.