SAU Community

To 30/26 Or Keep The 26?

SIR-JD

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races!

Better tell that to the F1 manufactures...

Actually tell that to any race team that runs a turbo car that smashes larger displacement higher torque V8s. Do you remember Group A?

Or maybe you should grab a 6L turbo diesel and take it to the track and you will obliterate everything!

I personally love that phrase, makes it easy to pick out people with no clue

Edited by SimonR32

Lets compare apples here.

take for eg the current tube frame v8 supercars.

you have a choice, a 600hp SR20 or a 600hp 5L V8

but both still have a minimum weight of 1250kgs, same suspension same tyre etc.

which would you choose?

which would you choose?

A SR20 as it would have more torque in the used rev range.

• Like 1

A SR20 as it would have more torque in the used rev range.

And it would be geared so it would be in its sweet spot all the time, it would rev faster through its peak efficiency range and deliver torque to the wheels at a faster rate. therefor be much faster overall

Give me a rota spinning to 15000 rpm please

Edited by XGTRX

which would you choose?

SR20, because it sounds better :ninja:

RB30 = Better rod stroke ratio.

RB26 = less registration issues here in VIC.

It it was without a custom crank id be going 30, if it was Regoed in VIC id be going 26.

There are lots of arguments for and against it, just as many for gear ratios, turbos etc which would make more changes at improving or ruining each engine sizes characteristics.

You need to look at it as a package, not just a engine package but including weight, gearing, tyres, track etc.

People like Berry successfully running a time attack RB30, lots of others running RB26's, some with stock cranks, some with strokers.

Better tell that to the F1 manufactures...

Actually tell that to any race team that runs a turbo car that smashes larger displacement higher torque V8s. Do you remember Group A?

Or maybe you should grab a 6L turbo diesel and take it to the track and you will obliterate everything!

I personally love that phrase, makes it easy to pick out people with no clue

have seen what the Americans are doing with Diesel engines these days or have been living under a rock?

I'm starting to feel like I am wasting too much time on forums, but I had already thrown this together to ponder it visibly so I thought I'd throw this into the mix given that piston speeds/acceleration relative to rod length and stroke seems to come up in these conversations all the time - my maths may or may not be right here (looks close to legit to me haha) but this is more just to get an indicator of the sheer acceleration of the piston (at the pin) of the different factory RB layouts.

I have used this calculation to work out piston acceleration relative to crank angle (l = rod length, r = crank radius, A = crank angle, 0deg crank angle = TDC):

post-11136-0-09400100-1382496780_thumb.png

Piston acceleration to sustain equivalent rpm:

post-11136-0-31005500-1382496878_thumb.png

Piston acceleration to move equivalent swept volume:

post-11136-0-93884400-1382496898_thumb.png

I did it for my own interest so I figured I may as well share it as I know that some other people like to ponder on this kind of thing too. If anyone have a better (or more OCD) handle on physics/maths then feel free to correct or add to it - but again I will probably make myself relative scarce after this so I'm adding it before I lose the bits and pieces I put together.

Cheers.