SAU Community

To 30/26 Or Keep The 26?

SIR-JD

LOL, yeh but the RB30 will have more torque...

Good to see someone with first hand experience talk of all the headaches and what would likely be associated cost with actually building one

This is what I was getting at, there is always more than meets the eye, just like Transformers.

And people constantly carry on with this hand wringing and huge debates about engines and slightly different stroke ratios and to be honest all they f**king do is explode fuel and air together, I think people often lose sight of the big picture, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by Nee-san

Sorry, bolts out by 10mm... There still out and require fab work to modify. My sump doesn't foul on the sway bar, the external oil pump fittings do (dry sump). Clutch master doesn't fit due to the Greddy intake plenum that used to fit fine. Add to that the cross member needed to be notched, the firewall taken to with a hammer etc etc.

I made the same mistake and used a greddy plenum on my new setup. Its a headache that could have been avoided by using a stock or maybe a nismo plenum in my case.

I suspect this is one of the reasons RIPS always use a custom plenum on their RB30DET gtr engine setups. They can make the plenum sit a little lower so they don't have any issues with fitment. The same probably applies to their sump setups, so as to clear the cross member/swaybar and power steering return lines.

Along the way I did discover 2 versions of GTR clutch master cylinder. One with a smaller OD for the cylinder but with a 5/8th piston still. This gave me about 3 more mm room between the plenum and the master cylinder. Every bit does count when your trying to make something big fit where only a 2.6 was supposed to fit.

I use stock plenum and stock sump in a rb30 gtr and had none of the issues mentioned apart from bottom gearbox bolts not lining up which is a 5 minute fix any way.

Those who have driven both a Rb30 and Rb26 would know the benefits and how

Much nicer the rb30 is to drive.

And people constantly carry on with this hand wringing and huge debates about engines and slightly different stroke ratios and to be honest all they f**king do is explode fuel and air together, I think people often lose sight of the big picture, that's all I'm saying.

Well it's not just slightly different stroke, there is a fair capacity increase. By your logic of an engine just explodes fuel and air and thats all that matters, comp ratio , cam shafts, porting etc all don't matter either. There are many factors that determine an engines pwr delivery characteristics and people's goals vary. I know I want more torque, along with decent power. An example would be hypergears latest turbo making 490kw, but with a close to verticql line at 450orpm. That engine might be fun to drive for a bit, but would very quickly become annoying. More capacity and different cams would turn it into an absolute beast. The op said budget want an issue, which translates into fitment issues aren't a problem. He should just buy a rips engine and be done with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's all great but what gearbox is going to hold up with the extra torque. So factor in $12k for a box and a yearly cost of 2k+ for a dog.

A well built 26 at 350 to 380kw is bullet proof shifting under 8200rpm and in the gtr's sweet spot for the drive line around the track for the smart driver.

And if everything else in the setup is sorted not much will beat it in average speed and reliability.

Plus 26s sound better too

Xgtrx does it again!

In order to have the best u need to build the best. So a 3l and a 2.6 will both do the same sleed but who will get there faster?

What engine will have the torque to get out of corners quicker, get off the line faster?

That's why you stroke it! Build the right gearset once and it will hold. Doesn't have to be a dog box or sequential with bullshit upkeep.

Will cost the same as a os set which at ur bulletproof 380kw 8200rpm shifting standard box is going to say good day and blow the f**k up.

Torque is what these cars are about

Xgtrx does it again!

In order to have the best u need to build the best. So a 3l and a 2.6 will both do the same sleed but who will get there faster?

What engine will have the torque to get out of corners quicker, get off the line faster?

That's why you stroke it! Build the right gearset once and it will hold. Doesn't have to be a dog box or sequential with bullshit upkeep.

Will cost the same as a os set which at ur bulletproof 380kw 8200rpm shifting standard box is going to say good day and blow the f**k up.

Torque is what these cars are about

Gee don't get so angry.

Fact is torque is what breaks the drive line doesn't matter what car you drive. If you have a higher lower end torque and high traction you will break stuff. So if you want a 26/30 be prepared, and that's why the most reliable gearbox with this setup is a t400 or powerglides.

And with a smaller capacity shorter stroke engines with lower bottom end torque you are less likely to have these issues. and you comment with breaking gearboxes at high revs is untrue unless you are bouncing off the limiter or engine breaking at high speed or at the 8200 to 8400 rpm where the 26 block has inherent harmonics issues where if you hold it there you will shake the bottom end to pieces. And bigger capacity rbs have always had issues with gearboxes end of story.

And as it has been proven over and over again an GTR with a built rb26 at 350kw with a well sorted handling package is hard to beat on the track and will do it with reliability time and time again.

That's why I think 26/30 or strokers are an overkill and not the ideal overall package for the average daily street driven car that gets tracked once a month.

I disagree with the above.

There is no substitute for cubes.

More of everything right through the power curve, from turbos spooling earlier to less RPM need to achieve the same effect.

About driveline isues, if the vehicle cant handle the power, yes it will break things, then again why are you turning up the power on a 26 if your worried about it?

Ive seen enough 26 powered cars drop their lunch to know it still happens.

Remember is torque that wins races.....and if your not sympathetic to a drive line you need to rethink your driving style, many 30's running around and not dropping boxes and front diffs....a large percentage is down to the driver and the way the power is laid down....

A perfect example is the Honda S2000, if i driver starts dropping clutches and hard clutch launches be prepared for new drive shafts and diffs, yet we dont blow them because we have learnt to be sympathetic, we still can launch the car perfectly off the line , its just the perfect balance of RPM, clutch slip and control of the 2 pedals while going through the launch, wrong speed and feel on either foot and you got it wrong, either too little or too much force through the drive line.

Having said all that, its so much easier to build a 26 than a 30 due to the mods needed to make it all fit, most RB26's can produce enough power to keep 99.99% of owners happy if built right.

Edited by GTRPSI

Gee don't get so angry.

Fact is torque is what breaks the drive line doesn't matter what car you drive. If you have a higher lower end torque and high traction you will break stuff. So if you want a 26/30 be prepared, and that's why the most reliable gearbox with this setup is a t400 or powerglides.

And with a smaller capacity shorter stroke engines with lower bottom end torque you are less likely to have these issues. and you comment with breaking gearboxes at high revs is untrue unless you are bouncing off the limiter or engine breaking at high speed or at the 8200 to 8400 rpm where the 26 block has inherent harmonics issues where if you hold it there you will shake the bottom end to pieces. And bigger capacity rbs have always had issues with gearboxes end of story.

And as it has been proven over and over again an GTR with a built rb26 at 350kw with a well sorted handling package is hard to beat on the track and will do it with reliability time and time again.

That's why I think 26/30 or strokers are an overkill and not the ideal overall package for the average daily street driven car that gets tracked once a month.

One question, have you driven both a rb26, and rb30 gtr with 300kw + ?

One question, have you driven both a rb26, and rb30 gtr with 300kw + ?

Yes I have and a twin turbo lsx monaro with torque that would twist a house and multiple drag cars and evos and hi powered s14.

All you hear with big up setups is all the positives you never hear of the head f**ks in the back ground nor all down time and rebuilds and money.

Just do your own research if you don't believe me, and you will find that a well built rb26 GTR in the 350kw range with a good setup in the hand of someone who can drive is hard to beat on a track. Then drive it home and take it to work the next day, clutch, tranny and diffs all good.

Each to their own though but if you are going build low down torque monsters you better have deep pockets.

Yes I have and a twin turbo lsx monaro with torque that would twist a house and multiple drag cars and evos and hi powered s14.

All you hear with big up setups is all the positives you never hear of the head f**ks in the back ground nor all down time and rebuilds and money.

Just do your own research if you don't believe me, and you will find that a well built rb26 GTR in the 350kw range with a good setup in the hand of someone who can drive is hard to beat on a track. Then drive it home and take it to work the next day, clutch, tranny and diffs all good.

Each to their own though but if you are going build low down torque monsters you better have deep pockets.

What turbo set up was on the rb26?

And what on the rb30?

Point being were they similar sized turbo, which you say they are. I just find it hard to believe that with similar turbos the rb30 isnt faster, and has better acceleration out of corners than the rb26, are they both at same power levels?

Ive always wanted -5s on my rb30 what rpm do they make full boost?

Point being were they similar sized turbo, which you say they are. I just find it hard to believe that with similar turbos the rb30 isnt faster, and has better acceleration out of corners than the rb26, are they both at same power levels?

Ive always wanted -5s on my rb30 what rpm do they make full boost?

There will be a result from unigroup soon. RB30, -5's, 260 pon cams, crank trigger, light tickle of the head, twin 3 inch into single 4, E85. I'm sure you'll see the graph within hours of it being pulled off the rollers.
  • Like 1

I made the same mistake and used a greddy plenum on my new setup. Its a headache that could have been avoided by using a stock or maybe a nismo plenum in my case.

I suspect this is one of the reasons RIPS always use a custom plenum on their RB30DET gtr engine setups. They can make the plenum sit a little lower so they don't have any issues with fitment. The same probably applies to their sump setups, so as to clear the cross member/swaybar and power steering return lines.

Along the way I did discover 2 versions of GTR clutch master cylinder. One with a smaller OD for the cylinder but with a 5/8th piston still. This gave me about 3 more mm room between the plenum and the master cylinder. Every bit does count when your trying to make something big fit where only a 2.6 was supposed to fit.

What you need is one of these:

ClutchMaster.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

I had one of these CNCed to run a S15 turbo master cylinder, it makes it bolt straight on and the rod length is perfect, and the pedal feel is no different with my twin plate clutch, I have a Greddy Plenum and there is plenty of Room on my RB30

......RIPS now buys these off me for some of his builds.

Edited by Sub Boy32

There will be a result from unigroup soon. RB30, -5's, 260 pon cams, crank trigger, light tickle of the head, twin 3 inch into single 4, E85. I'm sure you'll see the graph within hours of it being pulled off the rollers.

I'll be extremely keen to see the results of this as it's near identical to my build apart from the crank trigger. That and the fact that this one is actually alive not hanging out in the shed....