SAU Community

R32 Gt R Rebuilt Vs Factory Engines

How longs a piece of string?

This kinda question can't really be answered.

Plenty of people have purchased well built engines and they run fine, others have purchased cheap built engines and they haven't run fine.

Depends who built it, how it was built, how long ago it was built, what parts was it built with, what power it was built for etc etc etc.

Always get it tested before buying it and ask for receipts. But in the end there is always risk with second hand goods

As manual said above^ it's an each way bet.

Pro's of buying one that hasn't been rebuilt is it can generally be rebuilt - and you will have piece of mind afterwards (if reputable shop).

Con's is it's closer to needing one (IMHO) - so have $15k spare in your account after you buy it.

Pro's of buying one that has been rebuilt (if reputable shop and receipts) - Piece of mind and ultimately cheaper purchase price

Con's - maybe a poor build. Con's - may not be able to rebuild.

Cons for both is the treatment of the vehicle.

Either way be very thorough checking the vehicle.

Finally you will generally get what you pay for either way.

Edit: Comments above re R32 GTR.

Edited by Sinista32

At the age and miles of a R32, I wouldn't be buying one that hasn't had its engine rebuilt.

.....however, I would be wanting to see all the receipts of what was done, and I'm a bit OCD, I would be visiting/researching the engine builder before buying it.