SAU Community

Rb20Det To Rb25De Conversion

heyimjase

Hi all, new to the community, good to be here!

After a few tips and/or guidance in relation to converting the rb20det in my r32 to an rb25de (I know, I know, non turbo kills the car :( but it's because I'm still on P's) however the rb20 will be put to good use, hopefully been put into an e30 track/drift car!

Just keen to see if anyone on here has done the same conversion and if they ran into any issues with wiring or anything to that similarity!

A few things I've read up on so far is that you ARE able to use the rb20 loom on the rb25 motor. However some splicing of wires is required. The removal and installation of the motor seems to be the easy part, however wiring appears to be the biggest issue. I haven't begun the process yet but will be very soon!

Any input is welcome! I appreciate any help from here on out :) cheers, jason!

I've had a few mates that have swapped to NA motors and haven't had any issue with police. But when it comes to roadworthy I'm not 100% sure how it would work. As mentioned before engineers is probably required. Was hoping it might not be as complex as that though haha.

your changing to a different motor, you will need eng cert, go to vicroads have them inspect the car, prob have to change brakes and some other things, and yeah if a cop who knows anything about imports pulls you over you are screwed anyhow.

just pick up a cheap pulsar tpo last till off P's easier, cheaper and gives you time to build up your car properly.

I'd de-register and garage the R32 (if you have that luxury). Instead of spending the money on an engine conversion, spend the cash on modding the R32. Buy something like a late '90s pulsar/corolla or lancer to use on your Ps and resell it after you're off your P's. You will not lose any money on these econo cars, except for rego, insurance and basic maintenance.

Mate of mine bought a good condition stock mid 90s Corolla for cheap for his Ps with RWC. All he got changed was the headunit to some $100 Sony from autobarn and performed regular maintenance.

End of his Ps gave it a good clean, detail, put fresh oil and changed filters.

Sold it and made a $1k profit with no RWC too. LOL.

it's not about the downgrade per se, it's more that the car is an original turbo of which p platers can't drive. Even if you can downgrade to the rb25de, why would you go spend money on doing that when you can buy a cheap na daily to drive around and get more practice in and then spend the money on a nice turbo car when your off your p's.

Everyone's given good advice here, but I'll just add my 0.02222 cents...

Unless the rules have changed since 2011, the swap should be fine. My good mate did it back then with no paper work issues at all, just act sensible at Vicroads when you hand in the papers for engine swap. No eng cert required, I actually emailed a local VACC registered engineer about something similar (SR20DE into S14) and he said the fact that I'm putting a less powered engine into the car, it is the least of their worries. More importantly is the chassis integrity but it's a straight swap so problems there mate!

Wiring: My mate sent his engine wiring loom to some guy in QLD to make it a plug and play with the R32 chassis. If I remember it cost less than $400 inc postage. Most economical way imo. His forum name is viiictor if u wanna PM but I don't think he's active here anymore

I can understand why he'd want to do something like this:

1. NA R32 are much less common than tubbys. Also RB20 will be a slug compared to RB25
  2. Found a clean shell/example
  3. RWD>FWD (subjective!). Given a same driver behind the wheel, the only cars that has potential could beat you are those pesky VTECs or an NA MR2. Prob a few more examples I can't think of atm. Also, drifto baby!!! Better to have experience in RWD once you transistion into more power in later years.
  4. Maybe he likes R32s over R33s

That being said, a difficult popo MAY dick you for it but when my mate had the car, two encounters with the popo there was no problem (2nd time was because of something else related). Mate was just sensible about it. And yes, as everyone says, it will not be cheap so prepare for that. It's better to do something like this with extra money for headroom; you can trust me and everyone else on this with experience. And just another thing before I fack off, ex-P plater to P plater, respect the handling of a RWD, driving limits, peer pressure and speed in general or you may find yourself in a situation you wished never happened. Not trying to make any claims or suggestions for all I know you could be the best driver out there or the worst, but I feel it's almost my responsibily to say these things just incase...so I will leave you with this if you like to read :)

http://treetran.org/2012/10/25/i-should-have-bought-a-beater-p-platers-and-young-drivers-read-this/

Personally, and in summary of that article, I'd just get an R31

Anyways...gl on your future endeavours!

Edited by Tree

1. NA R32 are much less common than tubbys. Also RB20 will be a slug compared to RB25
  2. Found a clean shell/example
  3. RWD>FWD (subjective!). Given a same driver behind the wheel, the only cars that has potential could beat you are those pesky VTECs or an NA MR2. Prob a few more examples I can't think of atm. Also, drifto baby!!! Better to have experience in RWD once you transistion into more power in later years.
  4. Maybe he likes R32s over R33s

rb25de is just as bad, it isnt gonna win you any traffic light drags, forget about vtecs it'll struggle against your mums falcodore.

I had an N/A on my P's worst decision I ever made.

Everyone's given you good advice - buy a cheap little car not too bombed out so it has some reliability. It'll save you on fuel, maintainence and headaches from cops. Save your cash and buy a turbo once you get off and keep your p-plate mobile as your daily.

Haha yeah basically tree. R32s are my favourite skyline. I still have a couple of years left on my Ps, and realistically a motor and box for it won't exceed 1500. There may be a few little bits that need to be fabbed or bought, but it shouldn't cost too much. If I was to sell my rb20det motor and box including extras like front mount, turbo timer, BOV, etc then things will start to add up. Don't think it'll be 1500 worth but will take a chunk out of it. I've already got a daily, 96 Honda accord. Haha! But I've wanted an r32 for years!

Since you got the Honda as a daily and you also have your R32 - you are already in a good position to just mod your R32 and once you are off your Ps you will have a nice turn key car ready to go....

+ 1 iseekool's comment. Didn't know you already had a car. When I was on P's I could barely afford my only car lol

@Jack, my mate's NA R32 w/RB25DE S2 was basically neck and neck with my MR2 w/original engine (when I had Gen 2 3SGE). He was about neck and neck with other mate's VZ SV6 190kw Alloytec. I've yet to lose to any V6 commo. However I do have a Beams 3SGE which pulls a fair bit harder than my original motor. Never encountered any manual V6 commo's tho but never stopped to check. Anyways jap cars aren't all about straight lines ;) . But yeh I do agree about the VTECs, even I get humbled :(