SAU Community

Help Me Choose A Track Car

GeeDog

Looks alright, but more than I want to spend now. The other problem is it's interstate, so to keep it rego'd here means a trip to Regency for an ID check. Anything looks non-stock then they send you to the pits. I'd be much happier to get a locally registered car.

Given your intended aims, is there any point in having a car that remains registered and compliance with your State laws?

Who said anything about remaining in compliance with state laws? If it is registered in my name initially, I can let it expire, but then get a permit (up to 3 days) at any time for getting to & from events & pre-event test drives - ie we replace steering bits & brake parts before an event, for $56 I can get a 3 day permit to drive to get a wheel alignment, then test drive to bed in brakes etc, then drive to & from the event. In SA we can also put it on seasonal registration, then can renew for 3 months at a time whenever we want. As long as it looks fairly stock externally, the chances of getting defected are low.

So no intention of keeping it registered, and certainly not compliant, but this gives us more options.

+ 1 for r33 gtst Geoff, i use to run my series 1 street car at mallala track days. It was only making 265 rwkw, with upgraded brakes and coilovers, never had any cooling probs with a standard radiator. The little civics would keep up in the turns but it was good to have the power to pass them all on the straights. Only issue i had was a weak LSD, would sometimes spin one wheel out of corners.

B

M

W

German-built Datsun. :)

OP has made it clear that he wants to screw some power out of it at some point. Going to need a boosted S50 or better still an M50 donk for that, = $$$

Worth consideration though.

Edited by Dale FZ1

Yeh the threads going to be renamed:

"Help me justify buying an R33 Skyline for a track car" :P

Just kidding - wouldn't be the first person to decide on what he wants then use motivated reasoning to validate the decision - we've all been guilty of it.

• 2 weeks later...

To close this story (and start a new one), we bought an S2 R33 GTST today - pretty much un-molested. Needs a few things done but the price was right. Will get into it this weekend & see what we need to do now, then get it on the track. Booked for the hillclimb at SAU nats, so that may be the first event - would be a good shakedown for it.

Thanks to all (ok most) for the comments & suggestions. I still don't like rotaries.....